Homemade Energy/Lara Bars - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Homemade Energy/Lara Bars

I love Larabars; the commercial energy bar with a few simple ingredients like dates, dried cherries and almonds whirled together to taste like a cherry pie. Other combinations result in bars with flavors like apple or pecan pie, peanut cookie dough, chocolate brownies and so many more! If you haven't yet discovered these bars, they are worth a try! They are a great energy bar to keep in your pocket for a snack when camping and hiking.

Did you know, though, they are very easy to make ahead of time in your food processor? Recipes abound on the Internet. Simply "Google" "Homemade Larabar recipes" such as those on this website https://leitesculinaria.com/88638/re...-larabars.html . I was surprised to find that no one has previously posted anything about homemade Larabars or any energy bar on our FGRV Forum.

What are your favorite energy snacks and recipes?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
My nextdoor neighbor Lara Merriken invented the Larabar back around 2000. After college, Lara got a job working at the Denver Cherry Creek Whole Foods Market in a former Sears store. They had a commercial kitchen in the basement where she perfected her recipes.

General Mills bought her out. She lives in a different neighborhood now.

https://www.larabar.com/our-story
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

California
Registry
What a small world!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I don't think I have ever had a Larabar. It is nice to see recipes with no added sweeteners and just healthy ingredients like fruits and nuts. I may have to try making some and seeing what they taste like.

If I don't like 'em, the grandkids will always be willing to consume them!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Oops
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #6

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Love the Lara bars. My fav is the lemon. Yum.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #7

California
Registry
On a recent trip to the Cayman Islands I discovered a, new to me, delicious dry fruit mixture in the supermarket that is now my new favorite. The recipe is this simple.
Mix...
1 box raisins (12 oz.)
1 box golden raisins (about 12 oz.)
1 box currents (about 12 oz.)
Candied orange rind from one orange.

Here's how to make your own candied orange rind.
  • Peel one orange by scoring and removing the peel. I, specifically, ask you NOT to use a peeler or zester. I like the chewiness of the full rind.
  • Note: "The pith of the orange — the white part between the skin and fruit — can be sour or bitter but actually contains just as much vitamin C as the fruit itself, with a good deal of fiber," Flores When you boil it the bitterness disappears.
  • Cut the rind into 1/4" strips. Put strips in cool water in a pan and bring to boil over high heat. Drain the water from the peels and repeat this process twice more.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups sugar and 3/4 cup water.
  • Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Let the mixture cook for 8-9 minutes at a constant simmer.
  • Add the peel and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, OR just until the peels are translucent, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain the simmer. Avoid stirring, as this will cause crystallation. If necessary, swirl the pan to make sure that all of the peels get covered with the syrup.
  • Drain any remaining syrup from the peels and set aside for other use (perhaps tea, Sangria, or favorite adult beverage?!) There will probably be only a tablespoon or two of syrup left. Spread the peels out on a drying rack and leave to dry for 4-5 hours. Store in an airtight container or cut into 1/4" squares and mix into dry raisins/currents mixture.
  • Enjoy!
Note: I've made a Lara-type bar with this mixture. I've also added it to an Italian biscotti recipe. With your favorite nuts mixed in it makes a great trail mix!

Of Interest: Out of curiosity, upon returning from Grand Cayman, I looked up this commercial mix of dry fruits and orange peel. I found that it is used to make fruitcake! We were traveling in April and, as such, did not come across fruitcake. We DID come across plenty of rum cake, however and a great recipe for Cayman rum fruitcake!

Special: If you want my recipes for my Lara-type bar, my biscotti or Cayman fruitcake, just say so and I'll print them in further postings.