Hot Water All Day for off grid/no hot water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Hot Water All Day for off grid/no hot water tank

Hi- Here's what we do to have hot water handy for hand washing OR hot beverages without firing up the propane for hot water (helps with condensation and conserves propane): We use a thermos air pot. I say hand washing OR hot beverage water because, depending on need, the air pot keeps boiled water dangerously hot for 12 hours, or at least mine does for about 24 hours. I can cool that down by adding room temperature water if I just want nice and warm hand washing water and tend to do that after morning coffee is through. It's just nice to have warm water for washing needs.

If you use a gas lined air pot you more than likely will need to be extra careful with transport and use. I use a wrapper I made out of bubble wrap covered in fabric and a drawstring opening for the glass lined one. We also have a steel lined one (three times the cost) which doesn't need to be babied but it stays on the boat because we encounter more thumping situations what with rough seas, etc. If you don't already have an airpot, I would go for a top quality steel lined one. Ours is Nissan and has performed flawlessly for a decade. Our glass lined is a vintage Peacock and it is a tremendous performer but will be replaced by steel lined once it goes. Happy camping!
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Works great! We especially use this method, for travel days. We carry the thermos in the truck. Even use for a little instant soup, when we take a travel break. For those night time stop overs, we can wash up with a little warm water, before bed.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:10 AM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Always figured the propane was worth it. At least my hot water heater, once it is hot will hold the water at that temp without turning on again for about 12+ hours. Now if you use very much, it will turn on but heat up the input and then turn off again.

I can go for many days on one tank (I have two) just cooking and hot water. The furnace is a bigger draw when I need to use it.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:13 PM   #4

Name: skip
Trailer: Bigfoot
Boca Raton
thermos and coffee

A little trick I used when kayak camping. I made HOT coffee before I went to bed and placed it in my stainless steel thermos. Placed the thermos in the foot of my sleeping bag which helped keep it warm. In the morning I just raised my feet in the air and the thermos came to me. I then poured my self a cup of hot coffee to enjoy before I even got out of bed. Camping out does not mean you can't be civilized.
mariaandskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 09:56 AM   #5

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaandskip View Post
A little trick I used when kayak camping. I made HOT coffee before I went to bed and placed it in my stainless steel thermos. Placed the thermos in the foot of my sleeping bag which helped keep it warm. In the morning I just raised my feet in the air and the thermos came to me. I then poured my self a cup of hot coffee to enjoy before I even got out of bed. Camping out does not mean you can't be civilized.

Love it......just make sure the lid is on tight.....otherwise.....you might end up with burns on places that would be uncomfortable.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote