How do you make Coffee? - Page 14 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #261

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
this thread makes me happy I drink TEA I do like coffee on a rare occasion but I have one of those italian espresso makers. gotta be strong enough to curl your toes or I'll take tea
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #262
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
Bobbie,

The Aeropress coffee system looks like the MyFrenchPress you linked to and is out. Got one and it makes a good cup of coffee and is easy to use and clean. We will use it when we go camping in April.

Teri
We are big fans of the AeroPress. For us it is the ideal way to make coffee while camping, and the coffee tastes better than what we make at home. (this could be just because we are away and relaxing)
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #263

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
no use getting out of bed if I can't have Coffee.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #264

Trailer: Casita
How I make coffee

Mr Coffee !!! Of course I always have electric.......
jgreenern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #265

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The problem with the aero press is cleaning and storing of loose coffee. I want something that works like that but uses pods or k-cups for the freshness and easy cleanup. aeropress is basically like a French press which is a pain to clean, although the filters help some. I don't use a French press at home due in part to the mess.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #266

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
They make steel french presses, about as simple as coffee gets. I think I even saw one at Wallyworld. I have one made by coleman but it doesn't look like they make them anymore.

REI Campware Stainless-Steel Java Press - 33 oz. at REI.com
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #267

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I'm a coffee drinker and here are what I use.

From left to right in the picture:

Thermos---SS solo coffee press---SS stove top perc.---electric perc.

The solo press rarely gets used. While out on a day trek I ran out of coffee and grudgingly went into the nearest Starbucks. I have a glass press at home so when I saw the SS press I thought what a nice item for the Scamp.

My routine the night before is to have one of the perc's ready to go in the morning, either on the stove or to plug in. If I'm hanging around the campsite I leave the burner on low or leave the pot plugged in. Once I turn the stove off or unplug the pot I immediately put the coffee in the thermos.

You can't see it in the picture but the thermos has a nice handle as well as a strap. When I leave the campsite it's either in my hand or over my shoulder. I purchased the nice little thermos at REI.
Attached Thumbnails
Coffee pots 1.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #268

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Creek coffee. Boil the water, pour in the grounds and let them settle to the bottom before drinking. If you don't do it right, it taste like it's name.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #269

Name: Rosie
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Manitoba
Fancy-shmancy coffee maker

Hi all,

Like most people, we use a French Press for the most part. Last year we added this neat piece of gear - it's the most posh part of our camper! It's calle the Brunton BrewFire. It works off of a propane cylinder and needs 2 batteries for the ignitor. Only problem,if the ignitor fails, there is not a manual option to ignite. Stupid design flaw. SO we always carry loads of coffee, backup batteries and of course the french-press just in case!
travel_buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #270

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I'm a coffee drinker and here are what I use.

From left to right in the picture:

Thermos---SS solo coffee press---SS stove top perc.---electric perc.

The solo press rarely gets used. While out on a day trek I ran out of coffee and grudgingly went into the nearest Starbucks. I have a glass press at home so when I saw the SS press I thought what a nice item for the Scamp.

My routine the night before is to have one of the perc's ready to go in the morning, either on the stove or to plug in. If I'm hanging around the campsite I leave the burner on low or leave the pot plugged in. Once I turn the stove off or unplug the pot I immediately put the coffee in the thermos.

You can't see it in the picture but the thermos has a nice handle as well as a strap. When I leave the campsite it's either in my hand or over my shoulder. I purchased the nice little thermos at REI.
Joy.... Is the elec. perk on the right a poly perk?? That sure looks like the one my parents always used in every rv we had while I was growing up. I've actually looked for one - just for nostalgia's sake - to use in the Scamp (when I get one!) and they are worth some dough on ebay!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #271

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Well, I see from the original post that we've been discussing this topic for almost six years.
I hope the OP found something that works for them by now.
It's actually kind of amazing to read thru the variety of ways to prepare morning coffee.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #272

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
HAHA, yes, I've also wondered if the OP has had enough java options

I've long thought about ordering this, but would love to see one in person first. Actually, I think this is a slight upgrade from another model I've considered, but basics are the same. Good espresso on the go is a tough find!

handpresso auto E.S.E. - Handpresso
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #273

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer
The problem with the aero press is cleaning and storing of loose coffee. I want something that works like that but uses pods or k-cups for the freshness and easy cleanup. aeropress is basically like a French press which is a pain to clean, although the filters help some. I don't use a French press at home due in part to the mess.
The huge difference between the aero press and a standard press is that the rubber plunger is so tight fitting that it virtually self cleans. It compresses the coffee into a "pod" for ejection & with a quick swipe the plunger rubber itself is clean. The French press has a loose fitting plunger, does't compress the coffee in the bottom and you pour with the grounds and coffee still in contact (therefore pouring mud if not careful)
It was a no-brainier switch for us.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #274

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Making coffee

Melitta & French Press are my constant companions for coffee. I like dark roast Tully's or Starbucks. I grind it at home and bring it camping in a screw top plastic jar.
1... I heat the water to 190f
2... put coffee in the French Press and pour in water, wait 4 minutes, plunge the press and it's ready to drink.....just about the same with
the Melitta, only no plunger.
I am back to a glass F. P. , had a plactic one and it cracked all to heck in one season.
Doc the boonDOCer
@campfrugal

see photo
Attached Thumbnails
French Press & Meletta.jpg  
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #275

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Clever Coffee Dripper. French press coffee with the convenience of a drip filter. You'll never go back.
Clever Coffee Dripper
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #276

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
I use a stainless French-press (no breaking! great insulation! *cough*...expensive...)

Also, I'm a HOME ROASTER! There is plenty of home-roasting info available on the inter nets. I use an air-popcorn popper at home. You can use an old fashioned manual crank popper over flame though. I haven't tried it, but I plan to sometime. BRAVE THE SMOKE!
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #277

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Ann in TO View Post
The huge difference between the aero press and a standard press is that the rubber plunger is so tight fitting that it virtually self cleans. It compresses the coffee into a "pod" for ejection & with a quick swipe the plunger rubber itself is clean. The French press has a loose fitting plunger, does't compress the coffee in the bottom and you pour with the grounds and coffee still in contact (therefore pouring mud if not careful)
It was a no-brainier switch for us.
Ah, that sounds good. Though I would still prefer something that uses sealed pods or k cups for the fresh factor.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #278

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post
Clever Coffee Dripper. French press coffee with the convenience of a drip filter. You'll never go back.
Clever Coffee Dripper
How is this anything like French Press? The soaking part? I would worry about how cold it would get while you are making it.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #279

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
How is this anything like French Press? The soaking part? I would worry about how cold it would get while you are making it.
It's similar to a French press because the extraction/brewing process is exactly the same. That is, you let the coffee remain in contact with the hot water for as long as you want (3-5 minutes, just like a French press). Then when brewed to your satisfaction you put the device on a cup, it releases the stopper, and the coffee quickly drains through a filter into the cup. Cleanup consists of discarding the filter. Only thing different than a French press is you don't get the fine grounds and turbidity of French press coffee and clean up is much easier.

The Melitta drip filters are great except most of them allow the water to drain through the grounds much too quickly. They produce underextracted coffee. This device solves that problem.

Its easy to keep it hot during the brewing process by simply covering it with a small plate. I suppose you could also use an insulated tea pot cozy.

Simple way to make great tasting coffee.
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #280

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
A morning without coffee is like sleep.

I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee.(Anon)

Sleep is just a symptom of caffeine deprivation.

BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, okra