How do you make Coffee? - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2007, 12:28 AM   #121

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Quote:
Dave,

You've gone this far -- aero press and Kona coffee -- You just gotta try some home roasting. I've a couple or three "modded" poppers and the iRoast2 from Sweet Maria's. It's not really a problem or all that time consuming.

Grab a good book and after a couple or three hours you've got a good week's supply of fresh roasted coffee. A roast takes 7 to 12 minutes with a 20 minute wait between roasts ( 2-3 roasts per hour). The iR2 will roast about 140-150 grams of coffee per patch. 150 grams almost fills a pint fruit jar (roasted coffee) - depending on the bean. Go big time and get a drum roaster for your grill!!!
Matter of fact have to roast today - I'm getting low on coffee.

Geron
Funny you should mention it. I just got a Poppery 2 today for 5 bucks. I don't have it yet as I found it on Craigsist in Sacramento and had my daughter who lives there go pick it up for me. I have come accross a whole BUNCH of websites showing how to mod these things I I think even without modding it you can roast in them as long as you put a can on top. I will be getting this popper this weekend and all I need is some green coffee for my first try. I'm gona do it!

Dave
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #122

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
After reading some reviews I got one of these Bialetti Mukka Express stovetop cappuccino makers from Target ($90). It's very similar to the standard Bialetti coffee/espresso maker that Gina has, which works by putting it on the stove and heating the water in the bottom chamber, which pushes hot water through espresso grounds and into the pot on top, but this version has a steamer attachment in the top chamber that steams milk to make cappuccino or latte.

I haven't tried the cappuccino yet, but I've been using it at home and it makes pretty reasonable lattes and mochas. Not Starbucks quality, but still good, and it's easy to use and clean, too. It'll be nice to take it with us when we go out with the Scamp.

Name:   Bialetti_Mukka_Express.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  8.6 KB

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #123

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
this version has a steamer attachment in the top chamber that steams milk to make cappuccino or latte.
Attachment 11236

--Peter
We've had one for a little over a year now. The foam is a little "soft" when making cappuccino but when you are out in the woods it's a pretty good stand-in for the real thing.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #124

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The stainless steel French press has been mentioned, and I just noticed Amazon has it on a 4 hr discount so the total is $49 instead of $69. Press doubles as an insulated carafe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_to...7650469-8142309
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #125

Registry
I found a nifty little device at Tuesday Morning for $5. It is a Melitta Lilypod Espresso maker. It makes one cup from coffee pods (comes with 18 of them.) You put water and the pod in the bottom, milk if you want it in the cup, then put it in the microwave for 3 minutes. Voila, you have a latte or espresso.

http://www.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=66+324

I just tried it out and it works like a charm. Easy to clean- the coffee pod is in a filter pack, so comes right out, and the cup can be rinsed out like any cup.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #126

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I think one possibility would be a Melitta drip thingy. Boil your water on the stove and pour it into this coffee grounds filled filter frame placed over your coffee pot.
I'm soon to be a new owner of a 2008 Casita 17ft. SD April 7 and new to the camping world. So we've been preparing to buy the things we need to use and store in the Casita. Today I went to Walmart and bought a 8 c. stainless steel stovetop perculator not knowing there was something like this. When I came across this Melitta stander one cup drip. I ordered one today. So I'll just have to use the Stovetop perculator to heat the water for the coffee and use the hot water for dishes and other things to. Since we decided to buy this trailer last November 2007 I'm so excited about buying the things we need for it. But I'm being careful on what can fit and store in it .
Doreen/ Indiana
DoreenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #127

Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
Unhappy

Quote:
I'm soon to be a new owner of a 2008 Casita 17ft. SD April 7 and new to the camping world. So we've been preparing to buy the things we need to use and store in the Casita. Today I went to Walmart and bought a 8 c. stainless steel stovetop perculator not knowing there was something like this. When I came across this Melitta stander one cup drip. I ordered one today. So I'll just have to use the Stovetop perculator to heat the water for the coffee and use the hot water for dishes and other things to. Since we decided to buy this trailer last November 2007 I'm so excited about buying the things we need for it. But I'm being careful on what can fit and store in it .
Doreen/ Indiana
The Melitta Cone drip funnel makes and excellent cup of Joe. If you're really into a good cup of coffee check out the aeropress.
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm
The Aeropress wins High Praise from the Geeks on Coffee Geek forum. 1500+ posts.

The Mukka Express is makes a reasonably good cup of coffee but the clean up is messy.
Stay away from Perked coffee. A percolater can run a good pot of plain water.
JMO
g
Geron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #128

Registry
I like the cone drip coffee and have a cone, too. But an advantage of the Lilypod is how hot the coffee is when it is done. In drip or un-insulated French press, or just steeping a homemade pod as I've been doing, the coffee cools down as it brews. Fine at home, but when it is already cold outside and not that warm inside, I end up putting the coffee back in the microwave to reheat it after it brews. The Lilypod is hot and because of the closed air/water chamber, stays hot. I really, really, like that.

(Obviously, when I only have gas, no electric, and can't microwave, it won't work, and I'll have to fall back on the other methods.) I would still like to try the Aeropress as it sounds really good.

On the downside, the Lilypod really makes only a small espresso cup. You can make it coffee-strength by using more water but you can't make more volume.

Bobbie
Old 11-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #129

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
More Chemex info at Sweet Marias[/url]I wanted to revisit this older discusion to mention another great coffee maker I found. These coffee makers are nicely suited to the RV/Camper. And mainly to those of you that like the filter cone on the cup method. These coffee makers hold the filter over the carafe all in one piece of Pyrex glass. They are the Chemex coffee maker.

Name:   chemex.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  33.6 KB

Here is their website that explains the design that a chemist came up with . Click on the "Products" tab also if you go there.
Chemex Coffee Maker website
The design itself is an award winner but the coffee maker is also spoken of very highly by the coffee geeks. You purchase Chemex filters for the best results 8 bucks for 100 filters. Place filter in the top, add ground coffee (fresh roasted/freshly ground beans), pour boiling water over coffee, Let it drip into the carafe, remove filter and server. The whole thing can be placed on a gas burner to stay hot with no problem as it is made of Pyrex glass. Wood collar alows you to pick it up with out getting burned. They come in diferent sizes also. I see lots of them on Ebay. I had read about them from a coffee geek someplace and thought I would like to try one sometime. Low and behold about 2 months later I spotted what I thought might be one at American Veterans thrift store. They had it up with a bunch of glass nick nacks and pitchers. I bought the thing for 3 dollars! And I turned out to be correct it was one of their coffee makers with the glass handle. Worth about 35 to 40 dollars and might as well be new. On my next trip to the same thrift store I found 2 more diferent sized ones with the wood pieces! Same price.

Anyway since learning about the Aeropress here I have been using one every morning for my regular cup of morning coffee and have used it for camping as well. Great for one cup of coffee at a time. When I make more than one cup I now use my Chemex coffee makers.

Check them out and keep your eyes open in those thrift stores!
Dave

More Chemex info at Sweet Marias
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #130

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I use the Aeropress like mentioned in posts from a year ago. I have been using it for about 1 1/2 years exclusively. It is very portable, I take it on canoe trips, in the trailer and always use it at home too. It is simple, easy, fast and makes the best coffee I have ever tried. As with any coffee, beans should be as freshly roasted as possible, ground fresh using a good grinder to control the grind size accurately. It is quite funny that I use a $30 coffee maker, and a near $200 grinder.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #131

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
I use the cold brew method mentioned in an earlier post, and couldn’t be happier. I make the concentrate in bulk at home, and then enjoy a quick, delicious cup of coffee at camp with no fuss or mess.

In addition, the cold brew method allows each cup to be made to order, as you can vary the strength for diverse tastes.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #132

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I've seen lexan press's too but an insulated one would be even better.
I tend to prefer the perk method though... and even reheat the second day.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #133

Registry
Quote:
I use the cold brew method mentioned in an earlier post, and couldn't be happier. I make the concentrate in bulk at home, and then enjoy a quick, delicious cup of coffee at camp with no fuss or mess.

In addition, the cold brew method allows each cup to be made to order, as you can vary the strength for diverse tastes.
I do the same with the Aeropress. Make lots of concentrate ahead. I use a good sized shot glass full to a large sized thermal mug. Really good coffee, as good as any espresso maker.

I am curious about this cold brew too, and have heard about it. Do you have a link to a good one?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #134

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I just read back 4 pages and couldn't find the part about the "concentrate". I got the Aeropress thanks to this thread about 6 months ago and your right - beats the heck out of a french press for cleanup and the coffee is good. But "pre-making" concentrate might make it even easier. We often camp with family and they are perking their coffee - YUK! I'd love to make coffee for all and if I can do it in advance...well......

Thanks!

-Kyle
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #135

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is a link to a cold brew system

http://www.filtron.com/
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #136

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
And here is a link for ToddyCafe: http://www.toddycafe.com/
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 PM   #137

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Or for those who want to do it themselves ..........

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/coldhome/
Old 11-15-2008, 01:38 AM   #138

Registry
Quote:
I just read back 4 pages and couldn't find the part about the "concentrate". I got the Aeropress thanks to this thread about 6 months ago and your right - beats the heck out of a french press for cleanup and the coffee is good. But "pre-making" concentrate might make it even easier. We often camp with family and they are perking their coffee - YUK! I'd love to make coffee for all and if I can do it in advance...well......

Thanks!

-Kyle
I find that if it is perked for a perfect amount of time, and not heated for too long, it can be quite good. But to control this is WAY too much work, and the product still is nowhere near as good as the Aeropress.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #139

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Quote:
And here is a link for ToddyCafe: http://www.toddycafe.com/

Yes, the ToddyCafe is the cold brew method that I use and referring to earlier.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #140

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i have been camping since i was 12 ( 38 years ) and i always like the idea of ruffing it , and always used an older banged up cowboy coffee ( grounds in your teeth ) percolator , but last summer i bought a colman drip coffee maker that you use on the burner of your gas stove top , I LOVE IT , the only drawback is that you have to turn the flame off as soon as the coffee is perked so i picked up a coffee carafe at a tag sale to pour the coffee into to keep warm , also it has a glass pot so you have to be careful with it , i carry mine in the ice-box on my pop-up because i use a big cooler in the back of my pickup anyway

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/...uct_id=5008C700
Mark Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, okra