How do you make Coffee? - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #181

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
Hi Perry,

Could I ask what your mug is made of? I like the idea, and have looked at a few, but I've only ever found plastic ones (and I don't like to drink out of plastic that I've poured boiling water into).

Thanks,
Raya
I agree with you when it comes to plastic for hot liquids. This website describes both plastic and stainless steel 'french press' travel coffee mugs.

http://www.planetarydesign.us/catego...cataction=mugs

For a standard travel mug, Office Depot sells a ceramic one which is what I like for hot beverages. Down side is the possibility of breakage.
BAH
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #182

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Hi Perry,

Could I ask what your mug is made of? I like the idea, and have looked at a few, but I've only ever found plastic ones (and I don't like to drink out of plastic that I've poured boiling water into).

Thanks,
Raya
Hi Raya
Item #370299221466 is the ebay sale number.
The press mechanism is stainless steel with a non skid rubber bottom and an insulating plastic outer shell.
I pour in 1 2/3 cups of boiling water from the micro wave every morning and have never had a problem.
I have used it every day for at least the last 2 years and no problem.
Unless you need a whole pot of coffee this is the greatest.
I just ordered another one. They only have 2 left at this time.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #183

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks Hersey and John,

I'll check out the link for the stainless one.

I realize that the plastic one won't break or melt - I just (for my own reasons) don't like eating or drinking out of plastic if I can help it, and especially if I'm pouring boiling water into it.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #184

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Horace Edward Hall II
Let Me Suggest A Great Expresso: Pilon. This Is A Cuban Expresso That Really Has A Kick!!! And Tastes Great. It Ships Out Of Miami, Florida, With NO SHIPPING Charge. Look Up Bustelo Cafe On The Computer.
Quote:
[b][Moderator's note: A later topic on the same subject has been merged with this one.]

Original post:

We are going on our first campout in our Scamp, and I have our old tenting camp utensils including a small coffee pot thing--but it has nothing inside. Am I missing parts i don't remember, or can you make coffee in this thing. Most rv sites say get a percolator pot for stovetop or campstove. I do have a french press, but it's glass.
any suggestions, recipes???
Dr. Horace Edward Hall II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #185

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would suggest to anyone making coffee that requires you add the water, such as Melida drip, cowboy/camp coffee, or French press, to try to NOT use boiling water. You can check the temp with a thermometer, but that is a real pain. What works good is to pour it into another pot which will drop the temp a bit, then pour it into/through the coffee. What boiling water does is draws the bitterness out of the grounds.

One other thing that adds bitterness is letting the grounds sit in the water too long. Whether camping coffee, or French press, it is best to pour off the coffee as soon as it is ready, this is what was always intended with a French press when it was first developed, but has since been adapted to also be a convenient cup as well.

Using these two procedures is in a way a good part of the process of making espresso, which also limits the amount of time the water in in contact with the grounds and pushes it through under pressure. An espresso, being so strong, really has to be smooth and not bitter in order to drink.

It is only in the last couple years I have been paying attention to these two things myself, and it is amazing the difference it makes. The real test is when I have a cuppa Joe prepared without using these steps, the coffee (though not terrible) is nowhere near as smooth.

Try it, you might like it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #186

Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
But you clicked on the thread

(Of course I clicked on the "Bacon" thread, and I don't even eat bacon )

Funny though, I didn't drink coffee until a few years ago, but I always loved the smell. So we're opposite.
I certainly don't subscribe to the following since I love coffee, bacon and my lovely bride of 39 years, however, my (now deceased) father-in-law used to say, "Coffee perking, bacon frying, and a woman's smile all promise more than they deliver."

BTW, personally, I use a French press.
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #187

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
"Coffee perking, bacon frying, and a woman's smile all promise more than they deliver."
I do keep holding on to the hope though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #188

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I would suggest to anyone making coffee that requires you add the water, such as Melida drip, cowboy/camp coffee, or French press, to try to NOT use boiling water. You can check the temp with a thermometer, but that is a real pain. What works good is to pour it into another pot which will drop the temp a bit, then pour it into/through the coffee. What boiling water does is draws the bitterness out of the grounds.

One other thing that adds bitterness is letting the grounds sit in the water too long. Whether camping coffee, or French press, it is best to pour off the coffee as soon as it is ready, this is what was always intended with a French press when it was first developed, but has since been adapted to also be a convenient cup as well.

Using these two procedures is in a way a good part of the process of making espresso, which also limits the amount of time the water in in contact with the grounds and pushes it through under pressure. An espresso, being so strong, really has to be smooth and not bitter in order to drink.

It is only in the last couple years I have been paying attention to these two things myself, and it is amazing the difference it makes. The real test is when I have a cuppa Joe prepared without using these steps, the coffee (though not terrible) is nowhere near as smooth.

Try it, you might like it.

May I say that Jim has hit it just right? When you first start the brew step, you're drawing out the "flavor" oils. After a couple of minutes, you start brewing out the tannic acid components of the beans (with exact time varying a little with how fine or coarse you grind the coffee beans - fine grind, faster brew and the quicker you get into the acid). Strength and flavor may change somewhat with the variety of the beans, and the roast, but the handling is the critical part.

A couple of refinements:

nds per cup, plus "one for the pot" - but of course most people already know this, and adjust for their own tastes. If you want stronger coffee, use more coffee grounds for the same amount of water - don't brew it longer.
3. Another fairly important detail is to make sure, whatever kind of brewing equipment you use, that you clean it thoroughly. Otherwise, the coffee flavor oils may build up, dry on and go rancid, also making for bitter coffee.
ptregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #189

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
While you lose out on the fresh-brewed coffee smell filling your egg, Starbucks Via instant tastes great and let's you eliminate all brewing paraphenalia except a pot to heat the water in.

http://www.starbucks.com/via

Mike D
Attached Images

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #190

Trailer: Boler American
Registry
Hi Mark
We were thinking of buying a Coleman #5008C700 coffee pot like the one you have this year.
How does it take for you to make a full pot of coffee with this Coleman pot ?
We are wondering how long does it take, would you know ?
Thank you in advance JEAN-l

JEAN-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #191

Trailer: Casita
here is something I saw the other day...take your coffee filter and put what coffee you use in it,..then fold it over and sew it closed, put them in a bag, when you want coffee, take a sewed bag of coffee out and drop it in your Pot.....Just right......
Emmitt G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #192

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We bought the Coleman Camp Stove drip coffeemake and tried it out this past weekend at home and it worked beautifully. we used to use the coffee "teabags" before, but this works just like our home drip coffeemaker.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #193

Registry
Quote:
We bought the Coleman Camp Stove drip coffeemake and tried it out this past weekend at home and it worked beautifully. we used to use the coffee "teabags" before, but this works just like our home drip coffeemaker.

Hi
How long did it take to make a pot of coffee ?
We are planning to buy one just like yours
Thank you jean-L
Old 03-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #194

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Jean,
I don't have a Coleman, but most coffee makers take about 1 minute per cup.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #195

Registry
Hi Tom
Thank you for ansering my question.
Thanks , Have a good day
Old 04-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #196

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Regarding the Starbucks Via. It is expensive, but we are going to give it a try.

Fred drinks caf and I drink decaf so we have in the past used the Melitta system, each brewing our own cup. I get a bit impatient.

We stopped at Starbucks and picked up some of the Via packages. Fred preferred the Colombia (medium) to the Italian Roast (extra bold). Sorry to say in decaf they only have the Italian bold. It is a bit too bold for me, but it is better than other decaf "instant".

This method is very convenient for one who wants to get going *now*. For sitting around a campsite with nothing to do we might take our time and use the Melitta #2 filter system.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #197

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Hi
How long did it take to make a pot of coffee ?
We are planning to buy one just like yours
Thank you jean-L

Jean - so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I haven't timed it yet, but it takes the same amount of time our electric drip coffeemaker takes, depending on how many cups you make. The Coleman can make up to 12 cups and it does make a very good cup of coffee.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:32 AM   #198

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The Clever Coffee Dripper is a new cone dripper that two improvements on the old style coffee makers. Unlike a Melitta, it has a shut off valve to allow steeping and it has a lid to keep heat in the top. There are several videos on line that show methods to alter coffee strength with one.

Espresso Parts Clever Coffee Dripper - Full Immersion Brewing Method - CLEVER_C70888
Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #199

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I find it really hard to make coffee 1st. thing in the am. To many stupid things happen before the "Java Lava" starts to flow!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #200

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Cannot wait to enjoy a morning coffee sitting next to Cafe Egg again... Winters just can drag on...
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, okra