How often do you cook inside? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #41

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
1/3 Outside, 1/3 with stove inside, 1/3 restaurants. We travel to experience local foods, so we cook local, or find a local restaurant that specializes in local cuisine.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #42

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Cooked mostly outside with Oliver. Small galley. Cook mostly inside with Bigfoot, bigger galley and better stove/oven venting. All we do outside is grill. Too much trouble packing all the outdoor stuff away when in bear country, which is about half the time.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #43

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I think it depends on how your galley is equipped as well. We cook probably 50/50 indoors and out, but I've done the SAM-1 Range Hood Fan conversion, and also installed a Dickinson Marine cooktop. So meal prep indoors is quick, and even strong cooking odors get evacuated immediately.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #44

Name: Bill
Trailer: teardrop
Tennessee
I approach cooking when camping just like I do at home.. Simple breakfast (grits eggs) ect inside, and supper outside or , preferably , at a local, non-chain eatery.
Schosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5305 View Post
While we are fairly new to our Scamp (purchased fall of 2017), and have only used it for a couple dozen days total, we do cook inside. Stove top, oven & broiler. I guess we are not particularly concerned about lingering odors - the food we prepare smells good, and we haven't noticed lingering offensive odors! We do have a range hood. We also cook with a single burner butane stove outside as well as over the fire (pit).
Looking at the picture you posted, yours does not look like any Scamp I've previously seen. Is that an older deluxe layout or has it been modified? It has enough galley space to do some real cooking! It would be fairly easy to add a thin backsplash over the rat fur to keep it clean in the galley.

Now I'm curious what the rest of your trailer looks like...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #46

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
We cook inside unless we are catching and cooking fish. Simple meals and lots of soups and salads. We try to portion things so there’s not leftovers. We camp in New Mexico and ice and snow storms are not uncommon.
Home on the range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #47

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
We do both depending on the circumstances. We make everything from tea to coffee to eggs to crepes inside. I bought it with a kitchen so that I could use the kitchen, especially when on the way to our destination and at a rest area or walmart etc.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #48

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
We mainly cook outside. We carry a Coleman stove, grill, crock pot, and small toaster oven for simple meals. On rainy days we use the toaster oven indoors or go explore a new restaurant if we are close to a town. We also make coffee every morning inside. (Took the microwave out a few years ago, we hardly ever use it.)
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #49

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
I cook in our 13 ft Casita every meal which requires it. I love my cooking, enjoy the lovely aromas and have never been bothered by it. I run the stove fan as well as the ceiling fan. It’s so convenient and don’t have to be concerned about wind or rain. Of course we eat outside unless .... well a lot of reasons for eating cozy inside in our itty bitty dinette
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #50

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We don't hesatite to cook inside and use whatever we need, stove or microwave or hotplate. That's why we bought a camper and no longer use a tent. We do perfer to use our grill outside whenever we can tho.
J. Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #51

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 1998
I Cook in my trailer...

I’m always surprised how many have, but don’t use the features of their trailers (bathrooms & kitchens). To each his own, but I cook 2/3 of our meals in our trailer (I do love cooking outside, but not lugging everything in/out). I use the exhaust fan and have no problem with lingering smells, but don’t usually cook greasy/splattery foods. I’m pretty tidy so no problems whatsoever. I love my trailer and use it to the fullest!
NorCal Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #52

Name: Danny
Trailer: Boler
New Brunswick
We have a 1988 Boler 1300, finished with "rat fur" inside, in nearly new condition. We're been told that it was never cooked inside by the two prior owners and we have done likewise - we want to keep it looking (and smelling) new. Plus, I enjoy cooking outside!!
Danny and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #53

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
We just recently acquired our Casita and don't plan on cooking inside except for boiling coffee water and maybe heating up soup when the weather is bad. We have previously put over 175K miles on a truck camper, since 2005, and used an old Coleman 2 burner stove and a small charcoal grill for 99% of our cooking, outside, when on the road with that rig. Didn't want the camper to smell like a burger joint. I don't know, but think, the Casita's carpet covering would absorb food smells in a big way if you cooked in the trailer a lot; but then I could be wrong on that as we are new to casitas.
Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #54

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 1998
While we own an Escape now, our previous trailer was a 1998 Casita. We were the 2nd or 3rd owner and it didn’t have any smells when we bought it, nor when we sold it, and I cooked a lot of meals in that little galley. Perhaps it depends on if you fry or do a lot of cooking with oils? I cooked all kinds of soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, etc, etc, and really, it was fine. I have a really sensitive nose, and can pick up all kinds of scents, and when we would open our trailer at the beginning of the season I would specifically smell for mold or any kinds of odors.

Just use your exhaust/Max Fan folks.
NorCal Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #55

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
there's a *very* good way to de-stink things that do get nasty smells, be they mold or cooking or whatever... remove everything from the trailer, go ahead and clean all hard surfaces, vacuum what you can... rent a 'ozone generator' from a local tool rental place, close the vents and windows, leave all the cabinets open, put the ozone generator inside, with its cord hanging out the closed door, and plug it in from outside, leave it running like 4 hours, then unplug it, wait 4 hours or so, then prop open the door to let the trailer ventilate overnight DO NOT GO INSIDE OR BREATH THE AIR COMING OUT OF IT. read any and all warnings that come with the ozone generator before hand, of course.

this will *completely* neutralize any organic smells... works great on things like a used car thats been smoked in, too. with a car, set the hvac to recirculate with the fan on low when you do this to get smells out of the heater core and ac evaportator.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:55 AM   #56

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
We prepare almost every meal inside our Escape, either on the range or in the oven. The only cooking we do outside is the Instant Pot, on a folding table under the awning, plugged in to the trailer’s exterior outlet. It releases a ton of steam when it’s done, and we don’t want that inside our waterproof egg.

Always run the range hood vent when cooking and we have no issues with lingering odors. Also no issues with flies or yellow jackets or hornets who also think the eats smell good and try to invite themselves over.

Everything cleans up easy with a spritz of 50/50 distilled vinegar and water and a couple of paper towels.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #57

Name: Steven
Trailer: '17 Casita SD
North Carolina
Cooking Inside & Out

I realize this post is quite old, but thought I would add my two cents anyway. I have a Casita, and find that the exhaust fan is sufficient to rid the trailer of the odors created by cooking. However, I do avoid cooking messy foods (bacon, for instance) inside the trailer.

There have been plenty of cold mornings when a pot of coffee and some eggs prepared inside the Casita were just the ticket. I don't have a microwave, but will often re-heat leftovers in a pan on the inside stove.
sy48497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #58

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy48497 View Post
However, I do avoid cooking messy foods (bacon, for instance) inside the trailer.
I cook bacon inside my Scamp, but I buy the pre-cooked bacon from Costco, it doesn't splatter at all. But I realize some may not like it. I like it, it gets crisp quickly.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:28 AM   #59

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I didn't cook anything in my Casita, but I did warm stuff up in the Microwave. This last remodel I took out the stove and moved the microwave to a more convenient place. We also do most of our cooking at home in the Microwave or the grill outside, so that works best on the road as well. We also found that when we were traveling to get someplace, we stopped more at fast foods to be able to where we were going. When we were sight seeing we often ate at restaurants while wandering around.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:23 AM   #60
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Happier Camper started out as a small fg rental company renting out bolers, 13and 15 trilliums 13 and 16 scamps ,a17 burro and a Perris pacer ,all were great trailers and renters loved but the biggest complaint we got was the kitchen was a waste of space And were never used . This is what led to the idea of having a modular interior with a kitchen that can be used in the trailer or outside the trailer or for the trips when you don’t plan to do either you can just leave it home and hope your neighbors will cook for you.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote