Instant Pot? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 AM   #41

Name: Chase
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ontario
My GF and I bought the 6 quart InstantPot a few weeks ago for the trailer. We've done fajitas, shepherds pie, and lemon chicken as trial runs. The texture of the meat is more consistent with what one would expect of the pulled variety, think pulled pork or pulled chicken or pulled beef brisket. The flavor is still there, but the texture is a little different although not undesirable. We've really enjoyed the meals so far and get a serious kick out of being able to cook raw chicken in ten minutes, and cubed potatoes in 8 minutes. It actually took me longer to fry the peppers for the fajitas than to cook the chicken, and it took longer for me to mash the potatoes than to cook them.
I don't exactly trust the wiring in my trillium, so the 1000W pot will likely only get used when we can plug it directly into our extension cord, but we are happy that it opens up different path to meals since cooking inside the trailer can make it very hot inside, and camp fires aren't the most consistent. We have a small BBQ as well, but somethings just aren't practical to cook on the BBQ.
-Chase
whiteout810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #42

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
OK, I bought our camper Instant Pot today. We have the 8 quart for home, but I bought the 6 quart for the camper. We hope it will fit in the Bigfoot Silver Cloud oven for storage. Kevin makes the best roasts and yogurt in the Instant Pot. It has become our main way of cooking the main course of our meals.

CindyL
Old 03-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I've been hauling along a crock pot that I rarely use since I don't often have hookups. That said, I thing I'll exchange it for an Instant Pot for the additional flexibility when camping with power pedestals. It has been a long time since I used a pressure cooker, but I do remember how useful they were for quick meals.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #44

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Just saw an article on NBC Evening News that there is a huge recal in InstaPots that were sold exclusively by WalMart. They apparently can melt and/or explode. If you bought one from WalMart, I wouldn’t use it until you check the recall information.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #45

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Just saw an article on NBC Evening News that there is a huge recal in InstaPots that were sold exclusively by WalMart. They apparently can melt and/or explode. If you bought one from WalMart, I wouldn’t use it until you check the recall information.

CR report updated today:
https://www.consumerreports.org/reca...1-multicooker/

The report says in part:
Instant Pot makes 14 models, and the Gem 65 8-in-1 is the only one that is oval. It was sold exclusively at Walmart stores and on Walmart’s website.

Further checking shows that the recall involves a small minority of the companies products but it is worth checking your model.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #46

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
CR report updated today:
https://www.consumerreports.org/reca...1-multicooker/

The report says in part:
Instant Pot makes 14 models, and the Gem 65 8-in-1 is the only one that is oval. It was sold exclusively at Walmart stores and on Walmart’s website.

Further checking shows that the recall involves a small minority of the companies products but it is worth checking your model.
I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm not. Many small appliance manufacturers make a model that is only sold at Wal-Mart, and is usually lower quality than the ones they sell elsewhere. That's primarily because Wal-Mart demands a certain price point before they'll carry an item, and the way some manufacturers get to that price point is to make a cheaper version of their product.

I recall we had a Sunbeam hand mixer that finally went out after about 30 years of service. So, I picked up a Sunbeam at Wal-Mart thinking it would last. It went out less than a year later. When I found it was out of warranty, I took it apart to see what caused the failure. The gears inside were made of plastic and had actually melted. The original sunbeam had steel gears. Someone later pointed out to me that the serial numbers on the Sunbeam mixers sold elsewhere were different than the ones sold at Wal-Mart. Those actually had a "W" in the serial number indicating they were made for Wal-Mart only.

Lesson learned, and I now avoid purchasing anything that I want to last from Wal-Mart. You may think it's the same product sold elsewhere, but often it is not.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
That same scheme is employed by big box stores when it comes to BBQs.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #48

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've heard it sometimes happens with major appliances as well. Buyer beware.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:33 AM   #49

Registry
I just bought a second one today for our camper, not from Walmart though. As I understand it, the IP Duo 6 quart is not one of those under recall.

It makes wonderful yogurt for less than half the cost in the store. Next on the docket, I am attempting red wine, which, if it works, is also less than half the commercial cost.

Pays for itself.

CindyL
Old 03-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #50

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Same for even lawn mowers. Discussion on a lawn mower forum pointed out that John Deere zero-turn mowers with a green mowing deck are sold at John Deere dealers and built to last. But those with a yellow mowing deck are constructed of cheaper materials and are intended for fast bulk sales at big box DIY stores. I've not personally compared, but I have no reason to doubt the collective insight of those who posted about it.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #51

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm not. Many small appliance manufacturers make a model that is only sold at Wal-Mart, and is usually lower quality than the ones they sell elsewhere. That's primarily because Wal-Mart demands a certain price point before they'll carry an item, and the way some manufacturers get to that price point is to make a cheaper version of their product.

I recall we had a Sunbeam hand mixer that finally went out after about 30 years of service. So, I picked up a Sunbeam at Wal-Mart thinking it would last. It went out less than a year later. When I found it was out of warranty, I took it apart to see what caused the failure. The gears inside were made of plastic and had actually melted. The original sunbeam had steel gears. Someone later pointed out to me that the serial numbers on the Sunbeam mixers sold elsewhere were different than the ones sold at Wal-Mart. Those actually had a "W" in the serial number indicating they were made for Wal-Mart only.

Lesson learned, and I now avoid purchasing anything that I want to last from Wal-Mart. You may think it's the same product sold elsewhere, but often it is not.
I bought a Coleman tent from Walmart. I like it very much and it was a good deal, but they saved money by putting a screen window in the door instead of a separate screen door and a few other corner cutting features!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #52

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We had an issue with a name brand tire that we bought at Walmart. I attempted to have the tire replaced at a local tire shop.
He took one look at the tire and told me to take the tire back to Walmart , he could do nothing.
He contended that the reason Walmart can sell tires for less is that the tires are built to Walmart specs / price point and the tread depth is 10 to 15% less then standard tires. For me most things bought at Walmart are bought because they are cheap and I accept the fact they are throw away Chinese junk.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I accept the fact they are throw away Chinese junk.
Best also accept that the Chinese build very high quality stuff too, and that that "junk" is built to American specs.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #54

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We had an issue with a name brand tire that we bought at Walmart. I attempted to have the tire replaced at a local tire shop.
He took one look at the tire and told me to take the tire back to Walmart , he could do nothing.
He contended that the reason Walmart can sell tires for less is that the tires are built to Walmart specs / price point and the tread depth is 10 to 15% less then standard tires.
Sorry, this is false information! When you look up the specs on a tire, they are the same no matter where you buy them. I personally got my second set of passenger van tires at Walmart and they out lasted the first OEM set, same brand and model. Also, I worked for an auto manufacturer and they also use the same tire as retail outlets sell. They have a greater buying power to get a better price, not lower grade tires.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #55

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
Sorry, this is false information! When you look up the specs on a tire, they are the same no matter where you buy them. I personally got my second set of passenger van tires at Walmart and they out lasted the first OEM set, same brand and model. Also, I worked for an auto manufacturer and they also use the same tire as retail outlets sell. They have a greater buying power to get a better price, not lower grade tires.
This is partly true. If the tire model and ALL specs are identical, and the DoT numbers are the same, it's the same tire. But there are tires made exclusively for a vendor, which although mostly identical, have minor changes in design and are usually sold at a lower price point. Lastly, according to many experts in the tire industry, all tires of a specific model are made on the same molds, and are identical - BUT - some manufacturers separate identical tires by their own grading system, due to minor variations in the manufacturing process. The "top" quality tires usually go to the OE manufacturers, the 2nd tier to retail tire shops, and the third tier to discount stores. They have the same exact specs, branding, etc. And while I usually take Consumer Reports with a grain of salt, they agree that this occurs.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #56

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
That's not been my experience We got considerably lower mileage out of tires purchased from Walmart. ( Same brand of tires on the same vehicle.) I am only passing on what I was told by several large and small tire retailers .
I will admit that I am not a fan of Walmart's products nor their method of conducting business and avoid shopping there as much as possible.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:52 AM   #57

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Great thread!

I bought a 6 Qt Instant Pot (IP) 7-in-1 duo from Amazon about 18 months ago. I LOVE IT! Best yogurt ever. Great for stock, soup, stews, a multitude of grains and ... risotto! It's simply indispensable for vegetarian dishes which tend to be labor & time intensive. Plus, YOU CAN LEAVE THE HOUSE WHILE YOUR IP IS CHUGGING AWAY. Can't say I use it daily, but I do fire it up on weekends for veggie & chicken stock which forms the basis for most of my recipes.

But ... it's a large appliance which devours counter space. Hard to store in our Bigfoot 19' trailer. In fact, as a boon-docker, I consider it to be impractical.

Full disclosure: I am not a full timer, but I do go on long (1-6 week) dog training & competition trips. I usually camp on dog training grounds with no hookups. I'm out in the field from early morning to after dark, at which time I must first feed & take care of the dogs. So, my dinner needs to be quick, fulfilling & easy clean up.

Accordingly, we're getting ready for cold weather dog training trip. I'm using my IP to make soup & stews which I am freezing in 1 Qt containers. I have a microwave which I use while the generator is recharging the batteries. While the main course is defrosting I can make a salad & side dish.

This should work well for us at the end of a hard day of training.

I recently purchased a 3.2 Liter Magefesa Perfecto Stovetop Pressure Cooker, which is a perfect size for my husband & me. The new stovetop PC will augment my microwave, and allow me to prepare risotto or rice. I also suspect the frozen food will defrost much faster in the stovetop PC. I'll let you know how this works.

The advantage of this stovetop PC is it doesn't require electricity, requires little fuel and easily stores in the galley. The drawback to the stovetop PCs is that they require babysitting: You need to be present to turn the heat down when the pot comes up to pressure. You need to take it off the heat after required time at pressure is finished. It also takes a bit of experience to recognize the proper flame height needed to maintain pressure. But, then again, the Instant Pot isn't an intuitive gadget, and has a rather steep learning curve.

For all the hookup campers, I'd recommend a 3Qt IP. It has a smaller footprint than the 6 Qt. A stovetop pressure cooker may be a great alternative for frequent boon-dockers.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #58

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
But ... it's a large appliance which devours counter space. Hard to store in our Bigfoot 19' trailer. In fact, as a boon-docker, I consider it to be impractical.
I agree Jane. One thing that helps us is to set it up on a small folding table outside, under the awning. Our trailer has an exterior AC outlet for such a purpose. It's out of the way and works well. Of course, we normally only use the Instant Pot when we have hookups.

I don't know of any other cooking gadget that allows you to take a tougher meat or even frozen and have it be fork tender and delicious in 30 minutes or less. One of our favorites is beef short ribs. And with stews, it's the best. Veggies not overcooked and meat tender. You can't get those results with a Crock Pot unless you add the veggies later in the cooking cycle, and then there's the long cooking time.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #59

Registry
We hope our new 6 qt Instant Pot will fit in our oven and only come out when needed. We will have to determine where we can put it on the countertop when needed. Hopefully, it will fit on the back half of the stovetop, because we only use it for the main dish, i.e. tonight, we are making ranch-dressing flavored pork chops and will make veggies on the stove. The countertop is taken up with our Keurig. (Yes, we like our amenities and only camp with electricity.) We have not used our Silver Cloud oven yet, since we bought the Silver Cloud, so it can be used as a storage area and already is. We will have to find a different space for what is in the oven, which might be Goodwill.

The smaller Instant Pot that we will use for camping is currently making wine from Welch's grape juice. We made a single batch that IS wine, although I am disappointed in how much grape taste it has. I hope in a week or two, it may taste more like Merlot which is what it is supposed to taste like.

CindyL
Old 03-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #60

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I agree Jane. One thing that helps us is to set it up on a small folding table outside, under the awning. Our trailer has an exterior AC outlet for such a purpose. It's out of the way and works well. Of course, we normally only use the Instant Pot when we have hookups.
Good point, Robert! An outside outlet does make an electric PC more practical. I added an outside outlet several years ago for the same reason but haven't had an opportunity to use that set up. I see a lot of slow cookers plugged into outside outlets at rallys. I assume they're placed outside to control food orders inside the trailer. (Instant Pots & other electric PC's don't produce a lot of order during the cooking process.) Also slow cookers have been known to catch on fire are safer outdoors.

But ... you still need to store it when not in use. However, I love using a pressure cooker. I decided to purchase a stovetop PC to take on the road. This PC is 3.2 Liters, can also be used as a regular pot if I want to make pasta & a Pressure Cooker if I want to make short ribs. Best of all, it fits easily in the cupboard currently housing my pots & pans (the old pots will stay home). The only area in my trailer big enough to house an instant pot is occupied by the coffee maker

I'll let you all know how well this works for me.