Washington
Or I could just munch on some chocolate covered, roasted coffee beans

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #22

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I remember really liking cold brew last I tried it. And yeah, less acidity.

Aeropress is my favorite, after espresso. I currently do pour over, with a manual grinder. Just works best for the camper life. I don't like doing hot liquids in plastic...but I still really like Aeropress.

I use this. Been using it for 3 years, but not every day. I go through phases with coffee. I'm mostly a tea drinker. But it works great for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought some chocolate covered beans on Friday when I bought coffee. Good thing I decided to read the packaging. It said something like "5 beans = 1 cup of coffee". I was driving and I might have just snacked on the whole thing!

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:40 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Jim, if I recall you recommended a certain style or model manual coffee grinder some time ago. Would you care to repeat that? I've had a couple of the electric grinders and was not impressed. I can tell you are serious about your coffee. Thanks in advance,

Tom
It is the Orphan Espresso Lido 3. I have used a few other manual grinders like Hario and Porlex, which both resulted in a good grind, but the Lido 3 is WAY nicer to use. Less revolutions to grind the same amount, and really consistent grinds. It is one of those well engineered tools you enjoy using. A lot of my friends sure are eager to use it, could be because they like to drink my coffee.

My brother and SIL doctored a coffee sign, altering it to read "Jim Hortons".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:35 AM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is the Orphan Espresso Lido 3. I have used a few other manual grinders like Hario and Porlex, which both resulted in a good grind, but the Lido 3 is WAY nicer to use. Less revolutions to grind the same amount, and really consistent grinds. It is one of those well engineered tools you enjoy using. A lot of my friends sure are eager to use it, could be because they like to drink my coffee.

My brother and SIL doctored a coffee sign, altering it to read "Jim Hortons".
Thanks Jim. I'll try to find one of these. "Jim Hortons". Too funny! I live across the river from Sarnia, ON. There's a "Timmy's" on every other corner here. In fact some days, it seems half the cars around here have ON plates. Good coffee, great breakfast sandwiches and friendly staff. I hope they continue to expand south.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #25

Name: Cliff
Connecticut
K cup coffee making without electricity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Photo of percolator

We carry 2 percolators, 1 electric, 1 not. Works for us.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #26

Name: Jim
Alberta
Registry
Keeping in the vein of the original title referring to making coffee without electricity, that is all I have done for the last 10 or more years. Done right, most methods of extraction can produce a good cup.

AeroPress - My favourite. Using a near medium fine grind coffee in the AP, you first add enough water to soak the coffee and allow it to bloom for about 30 secs, then stir in the rest of the water and allow to sit for at least 30 secs more. Some folks add even more time. Then press. The resulting "juice" can be drank espresso like, or hot water can be added to taste, which is what I usually do.

French Press - makes a nice bold unfiltered cup of coffee. Use a coarse grind with water just under boiling temp. Once water is stirred in with the grounds, let rest for about 4 minutes. The biggest drawback (other than a bit messier to clean) is that the coffee cannot be left in the press for too long, as with the grounds sitting in it, the coffee becomes bitter due to over extraction.

Percolator - another great way to make coffee. I know a few who use it when camping. One of the keys with it is that once it begins to perc, to maintain as low of heat as possible yet allowing the percolation to happen. As well, you should never allow it to percolate longer than 5 minutes, or the coffee will become bitter due to over extraction.

Cowboy (Campfire) Coffee - This too can taste great done right. What I do is to bring the water to near a boil, or let it cool a bit if it does boil. If adding coffee to boiling water you can (yes, you guessed it) over extract producing a bitter cup. Stir the grounds in, let sit for about 4 minutes. The grounds will settle. Pour the coffee out right away and enjoy. Again, do not let any coffee sit with grounds in it.

Pour Over - Yet another great way to make a great cup of coffee. Good old Melita makes a good one, and there are lots of single or two cup sized ones available. Put a medium fine grind coffee in the filter, then soak the grinds with water just below boiling temp and allow them to bloom. Then slowly pour the water in keeping the level just above the grounds until you use the desired amount. With this method there is little chance of over extracting the coffee, short of using boiling water.

Instant Coffee is another way of getting coffee (note I did not say good) without electricity, but I would need to be desperate for a caffeine fix before I drank it.

Remember, the methods I describe are not set in stone, just short versions of how I have come to do each method. Experimenting is the key. The grind level of the coffee, the temperature of the water, the time of extraction all make a difference. And everyone is not the same, preferring differing tastes that can be had. Some like some bitterness (I often do), while others prefer a smoother taste. As long as you enjoy, all is good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #27

Name: Monte
Trailer: Perris Pacer
California
Registry
coffee

Great post! As someone who travels a-lot in my business ( coffee ) , I would like to add my 1 1/2 cents. There are a couple of way to enjoy a great cup of coffee while on the road!

One, the Aeropress is a great coffee maker if used correctly! A lot people grind the coffee like they would for a drip brew. It needs to be grounded up a little finer to bring out the great taste of the coffee.

Two, One of the best and cheapest ways for a great cup of coffee is the Melitta cone and a filter! Measure out 21 grams of coffee for 12 oz. of hot water for the perfect cup every time. I had a guy come in to buy an espresso machine and after talking to him , I realized he just wanted a great cup of coffee! i sold him the Melitta cone and saved him 3000.00.

If you are using a home 12 cup brew system, I would recommend measuring out 2.75 to 3 oz of coffee for the full pot.

I hope this helps someone :-)

All the best, Monte

Vanelis Coffee
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
K cups just don't make sense. I mean, think about it. We all know that a C cup is larger than a B cup, and a D cup is larger still... yet a K cup is tiny.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #29

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
K cups just don't make sense. I mean, think about it. We all know that a C cup is larger than a B cup, and a D cup is larger still... yet a K cup is tiny.

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #30

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
The inventor of K-Cups regrets that he ever invented them.

"I feel bad sometimes that I ever did it," John Sylvan told The Atlantic in an interview.
Why? Because the K-Cups are bad for the environment -- they are disposable and not recyclable.
Sylvan originally envisioned the cup-like pouches that brewed a single serving of coffee for offices, where people want different brews. But the technology caught on, and Keurig Green Mountain (GMCR) brewers are now on kitchen counters everywhere.
That means more and more K-Cups are being used -- and thrown in the trash.

Inventor of K-Cups regrets the idea - Mar. 4, 2015
Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #31

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

great things come in small packages???
Old 10-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #32

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The inventor of K-Cups regrets that he ever invented them.

"I feel bad sometimes that I ever did it," John Sylvan told The Atlantic in an interview.
Why? Because the K-Cups are bad for the environment -- they are disposable and not recyclable.
Sylvan originally envisioned the cup-like pouches that brewed a single serving of coffee for offices, where people want different brews. But the technology caught on, and Keurig Green Mountain (GMCR) brewers are now on kitchen counters everywhere.
That means more and more K-Cups are being used -- and thrown in the trash.

Inventor of K-Cups regrets the idea - Mar. 4, 2015
The demand for recyclable k cups has the makers adapting to the market and they have already started in that direction.
Recyclable K-Cup® Pods & Recycling Information| Keurig

But that is not going to help much for a while because a big issue just arrived this week with China's announcement it is not going to be in the buyer's market (banned by China) for much of the USA recyclable plastics waste or paper waste which it has been buying for many years. This country pretty much got out of the business of processing those recyclables as it was less expensive to send them to China as they paid more for them. Now we will have to find another place to send them or get busy and build the industry back up. In the meantime that waste we were recycling by sending it overseas will mostly go into landfills rather than getting reused. Instead of recyclable into other products the makers of K-cup containers may need to shift gears and be made as a compostable waste stream product. In the Seattle area we are required to recycle but this is the scenario we are facing with the change from China. http://www.opb.org/news/article/chin...cycling-limbo/
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #33

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
dang monte is this what you do for a living?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #34

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
We’re Aero Pressers at home and in the Bigfoot. We find the grocery store and Costco grinders do an excellent job when set on espresso grind. I don’t need to grind for each cup and let’s face it “everything tastes better in the woods”!
Deadhead517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:14 AM   #35

California
Registry
K cup coffee making without electricity

Our company stayed away from the K-cups because 1. It's really bad for the environment and 2. We like to roast fresh to order. Pressure is being put on the coffee industry to make more earth friendly K-cups as we speak. Yea Bob, I like to say that I get paid to drink coffee and talk to people! It's not a bad gig!

All the best
Old 10-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #36

Missouri
job

ok monte I am getting the picture now you like to gab and you love to make and drink coffee so I am presuming you are a peddler?

you can fill us in! here I owned a food service supply co. for 40 years with a background in grocery store management along with institutional sales for a spell.

I found my love selling the pots and pans, china, silverware big cookin equipment. I never tried to get big I was able to do very well just pickin so to speak, I built relationships that went on for years. I survived against the Syso s , us foods and other bigs in the industry.

strange thing I worried them to death!

bob
Old 10-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #37

Missouri
Most recyclers here are gone I hate plastic water bottles with a passion!

bob
Old 10-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #38

California
Registry
K cups

Hi Bob, really not trying to selling anything, just want to help people enjoy a great cup of coffee! I have done coffee tastings like a winery does a wine tasting because I believe life is too short for a bad cup of coffee! You are right about me liking to gab! I enjoy people and in this day and age, I don't think its such a bad idea to reach my hand out to another and say HI! Some of my best friendships over the years started that way!

Here's my take on coffee!

Look for a coffee that has a quality rating in the 90's! A great coffee should not be bitter when its cold!

Whole bean will stay fresh a lot longer than ground coffee!

Never put the beans in a frig! It will dry the beans out very fast !
Freezers are ok for a few weeks but I would rather order small amounts to always have a great cup of coffee every time!

Get a scale and weigh out the coffee! If you eyeball it, I find the coffee is inconsistent in taste and that doesn't cut it with me.

Last, Don't ever apologize for the way you like your coffee! It aways blows me away how people tell you how you should drink it ! If you like your coffee with cream and sugar, then drink it that way. This is your cup, so enjoy it the way you like it!

All the best, Monte
Old 10-29-2017, 08:07 AM   #39

Missouri
coffee

great stuff I had coffee made by the great ones in Italy. man that first cup of expresso knocked me off my feet. along with that I ordered up a large 1/2 went into the trash.

I watched people at campgrounds making coffee in those little Italian press thingees and knocking down that strong coffee. Wow!

While in Washington and oregon many years I saw my first expresso stands I couldn't believe it coming from Mo. we are always behind the times from the left coast!

now I am supposing this is all multi billions in business of course now everything spoken that way when Wal-Mart does 500b a year heading I suppose to 1 trillion in the near future!!

bob
Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #40

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
tom I sold institutional products in my sales life I always loved Bunn and we use that 100.00 model but now if it breaks down I have to throw it away due to a little part gone bad. They will not sell me the pot I still have my open account with them they say no parts sold due to insurance.

This makes me mad but they consider me just a homeowner on this! Running one of the s/s perks is an art to itself and for some reason we love it while camping.

of course we have no electricity! But the quality of the coffee made!!

outstanding

bob

Bunn makes a very good K-Cup brewer too. We love ours. Hotter brew than a Keurig made machine, and a stainless steel boiler. But it does require power.

We camp with an Aeropress.

DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote