K cup coffee making without electricity - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2022, 10:05 AM   #61

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Was looking for maker Alan recommended above… noticed this.

https://us.consiglioskitchenware.com...espresso-maker
Here you go!

https://gsioutdoors.com/miniespresso-set-1-cup.html

Also, the offer still stands if anyone wants and will use the Espresso machine I posted above, I'll send it to them. Send me a PM.
AlanKilian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #62

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Here you go!

https://gsioutdoors.com/miniespresso-set-1-cup.html

Also, the offer still stands if anyone wants and will use the Espresso machine I posted above, I'll send it to them. Send me a PM.
Well, here's a thought. I'm pretty sure my friend would love this. Full disclosure, she's in a canned ham, not FG, so I'm not sure she qualifies! Will PM you my address just in case!
Old 05-02-2022, 10:30 AM   #63

Massachusetts
OK, I'll toss it in the mail.

What do you think about that stainless steel one?

They also have a 4-cup one that might be nice for those woozy mornings!
Old 05-02-2022, 05:02 PM   #64

CA
Quote:

LOL, I have a two cup maximum… unless there’s Kahlúa involved

That stainless steel one looks Very Tempting. Will revisit this temptation after finishing interior upgrades
Old 05-04-2022, 03:39 PM   #65

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
that walmart espresso maker appears to be a no-name chinese knockoff of the classic Moka Pot. While an actual italian one probably has a good anodyzed finish, which renders the aluminum 'safe', I wouldn't trust the noname version not to have lead in the alloy.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:23 PM   #66

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that walmart espresso maker appears to be a no-name chinese knockoff of the classic Moka Pot. While an actual italian one probably has a good anodyzed finish, which renders the aluminum 'safe', I wouldn't trust the noname version not to have lead in the alloy.
Likely all true. I have the Italian Moka Pot and don't use it either, so I'm perfectly safe.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:28 PM   #67

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Likely all true. I have the Italian Moka Pot and don't use it either, so I'm perfectly safe.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:51 AM   #68

Mid Left Coast
I still don't understand the attraction of K-Cups. Coffee is so easy to make, even the hand pour-over way I do it when camping.

At home, it is as easy as...

1) push start button on grinder
2) remove old filter of grinds, put in trash.
3) take water tank off coffee maker, fill to line with filtered water, replace
4) grinder finished, put filter cone in maker, add ground coffee
5) close filter basket, push 'Start' on maker.

a few minutes later, a thermos carafe of 4 mugs of excellent Moka Java.

when camping,
1) put kettle of water on stove, light stove. (or Jet Boil)
2) put filter cone over thermos, put #4 filter in cone
3) add ground coffee to suit
4) when water is boiling, shut off stove, wait for it to stop boiling
5) dribble water onto grounds in cone to wet grinds, pause a bit to presoak, slowly fill cone with water, fill again, when its dripped through, dump filter+grinds into trash

(ok, I left out step 0, hand grind sufficient coffee)

I am using a 20 oz Hydroflask as my coffee thermos, thats 2 full mugs, and 2 half mugs

there's a sort of ritual to this, that helps me wake up. it doesn't even take a minute once the water is boiling. and using the beans we get at a local wholesale roaster, generally a single origin medium roast such as Kenya, Moka Java, Sumatra, Costa Rican Estate, our coffee is as good or better than most anything you'll find in a fancy fuu-fuu cafè
Old 05-05-2022, 11:54 AM   #69

Mid Left Coast
Quote:

note those are ESPRESSO makers. a 'cup' of espresso is 2 oz, not the regular 6 ounce coffee cup. To make a proper espresso you need extremely finely ground dark roast coffee, and if its not been ground right before use, its already stale.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:02 PM   #70

CA
Quote:
note those are ESPRESSO makers. a 'cup' of espresso is 2 oz, not the regular 6 ounce coffee cup. To make a proper espresso you need extremely finely ground dark roast coffee, and if its not been ground right before use, its already stale.
I have a handy dandy little stainless steel hand grinder for the trailer, which I've only been able to use once or twice... Hopefully it will allow me to adjust the grind.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:13 PM   #71

CA
Quote:
I still don't understand the attraction of K-Cups. ...
there's a sort of ritual to this, that helps me wake up. it doesn't even take a minute once the water is boiling. and using the beans we get at a local wholesale roaster, generally a single origin medium roast such as Kenya, Moka Java, Sumatra, Costa Rican Estate, our coffee is as good or better than most anything you'll find in a fancy fuu-fuu cafè
Full disclosure, my sister and her husband owned a coffee and tea import business in Houston. BIL had a huge roaster and a huge business for about 25 years. My sister was a coffee addict (which is how she met her hubby... special ordering every unusual fuu-fuu bean available). We are coffee people!

I do *love* the convenience of the Keurig, but I do HATE the idiocy of disposable plastic k-cups. What kind of mental illness outlaws plastic straws but overlooks k-cups?

I do grind my own beans and use paper filters in the reusable k-cups. My world view is very skewed with coffee that is bad, or only partially decent. Even when doing my own grind with Really Good Beans it's difficult to get just the right *note* so constantly find myself seeking a Better Cup.

Oh, and the husband of my friend (who lives near Mt. Shasta) actually roasts his own beans every day! He does this on his porch in a cast iron frying pan. Trust me, it works. I came halfway down the stairs the first morning and FLOATED the rest of the way down on my NOSE. His coffee is to die for.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:14 PM   #72

Massachusetts
I love coffee in the morning.

Before we leave, we grind enough coffee for a week and put it in a can with a tight lid and use it as needed.

When we run out, or maybe in the evening, we use Lipton coffee "tea" bags which are great.

Oh by the way, @EllPea, I sent that 1-cup espresso maker to you today.
Attached Thumbnails
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg  
Old 05-05-2022, 04:21 PM   #73

CA
Quote:
I love coffee in the morning.

Oh by the way, @EllPea, I sent that 1-cup espresso maker to you today.
Thank you Alan!
Old 05-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #74

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I

2) remove old filter of grinds, put in trash.
I like your post, lots of good info. Except this quoted part. Grounds and the filter are great compost and go into the compost bin. Saves waste.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:53 PM   #75

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:

Before we leave, we grind enough coffee for a week and put it in a can with a tight lid and use it as needed..
I ground ahead on a backcountry canoe trip with 6 coffee drinkers. Bad move as, though drinkable the taste was staler, less fresh, days later. What was left went into the compost bin when I got home. I always bring a manual grinder, in the trailer in a canoe, in a suitcase on plane trip or in the car if travelling that way.

I know I've said it here before, but I'm my opinion, no matter your preferred method of extraction, fresh ground coffee makes the biggest difference to a nice fresh taste.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:58 PM   #76

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
I have a handy dandy little stainless steel hand grinder for the trailer, which I've only been able to use once or twice... Hopefully it will allow me to adjust the grind.
i have a HandGround mill. it does a decent job on coarse to medium-fine, but it does not do extra fine at all well, and the side crank seemed clever at the time, but isn't as comfortable as you might think, and the HandGround takes a LOT of cranks on the medium-fine setting I use for pour-over or Aeropress. I bought it as a Kickstarter, when they first came out they were probably the best hand mill, but there are several better now.

this one is supposed to be nice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VNQYJDG/
Old 05-06-2022, 04:34 AM   #77

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
So many of us coffee fanatics here. I'll start with I hate drip coffee. I've never bought a drip coffee maker, 4-5 perk makers one even electric. 3 Moka pots, 2 GSI expresso makers. I gave one away to my neighbor unluckily he died. But I've still got my original one and use regularly. 2 French press style but low buck (not including Jetboil ones 2) a single cup job I got at Walmart years back and the Stanley camp one. Currently I use the Stanley one most heat water dump in with coffee let steep on way driving to work at stop pour in SS camp cup drink first when get in.
I never got or wanted a K-cup coffee maker, I still remember the interview with the person who really started the "water bottle" curse he said it was his regretted decision to do but had to find a way to supply water for us in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I see that curse still playing out, during my last deployments. I used Nalgene water bottles and still do.
Side track off. I bought a coffee grinder a few weeks back, over the years I have bought grind in store and "premium" fresh grind coffee or Italian coffee. But dang I do miss getting expresso in Italy (Europe) or Turkish coffee in Turkey and Middle East.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:56 PM   #78

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
So many of us coffee fanatics here. I'll start with I hate drip coffee. I've never bought a drip coffee maker, 4-5 perk makers one even electric. 3 Moka pots, 2 GSI expresso makers. .... a single cup job I got at Walmart years back and the Stanley camp one. Currently I use the Stanley one most heat water dump in with coffee let steep on way driving to work at stop pour in SS camp cup drink first when get in.....
those one cup makers *are* drip... hand pour is a subset of drip.

The electric drip maker we use at home uses the exact same #4 Melitta cone filters as my hand pour filter, and has a mode that simulates a hand pour, where it heats the first bit of water, sprinkles the grinds then pauses a half minute for the presoak/bloom, then completes the brew cycle, sprinkling the rest of the water over the filter. I said 'sprinkle', because it has a sprinkle head rather than the more common single spout.