K cup coffee making without electricity - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #41

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
great stuff I had coffee made by the great ones in Italy. man that first cup of expresso knocked me off my feet. along with that I ordered up a large 1/2 went into the trash.

bob
When my wife and I went to Rome last year, after going down to the breakfast room in the hotel and having espresso, I went back to the room and told her I was having an affair, with the espresso machine in the breakfast room.

I don't know what they do different in Italy, but amazing doesn't even cover it.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #42

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
When my wife and I went to Rome last year, after going down to the breakfast room in the hotel and having espresso, I went back to the room and told her I was having an affair, with the espresso machine in the breakfast room.

I don't know what they do different in Italy, but amazing doesn't even cover it.
Yep, my experience in Europe as well. Even the average tiny hotel has superb coffee compared to the Hampton Inns and Holiday Inns over here.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We've got a Keurig, I use it for Ramen noodles then recycle the cups.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #44

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
This topic makes me realize just how addictive coffee is with the money we spend to import the beans, roast and grind them and then buy fancy machines to quickly get the perfect brew.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #45

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
This topic makes me realize just how addictive coffee is with the money we spend to import the beans, roast and grind them and then buy fancy machines to quickly get the perfect brew.
Addictive? I can go without coffee if I...wait....just kidding. I have no idea what that's like.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #46

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Remember the start of this thread featured a device similar to the Aeropress that holds K-cups as an option. So for those people who love those K-cups you too can have the same benefits of space and weight saving.

In the past I used the smallest size Melita style cone filter when going camping. But I developed a liking for stronger espresso type of coffee versus drip grind so I switched to the Aeropress about 10 years ago.

For me the real bottom line is that I am not going to include a space hogging, somewhat heavy, electric powered machine in order to make coffee. My trailer interior is only 10 feet long and my car is a 4 cylinder. I want to do extended trips where there is no shore power. My choices are solar, solid or fossil fuels. So my decision is a very practical one, the Aeropress wins hands down as the sensible choice for my needs, it weighs very little, is very small in size and it makes excellent coffee. Win-win for me
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #47

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Remember the start of this thread featured a device similar to the Aeropress that holds K-cups as an option. So for those people who love those K-cups you too can have the same benefits of space and weight saving.

In the past I used the smallest size Melita style cone filter when going camping. But I developed a liking for stronger espresso type of coffee versus drip grind so I switched to the Aeropress about 10 years ago.

For me the real bottom line is that I am not going to include a space hogging, somewhat heavy, electric powered machine in order to make coffee. My trailer interior is only 10 feet long and my car is a 4 cylinder. I want to do extended trips where there is no shore power. My choices are solar, solid or fossil fuels. So my decision is a very practical one, the Aeropress wins hands down as the sensible choice for my needs, it weighs very little, is very small in size and it makes excellent coffee. Win-win for me
and uses very little water for clean up.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #48

Name: Sam
Trailer: Newmar
Texas
Aeropress is the best option for me. The most practical and I 'm happy with the coffee it makes me (or I make it myself) every morning and lunch time.
camptheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #49

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
and uses very little water for clean up.
indeed! i use a halfsized paper towel to wipe off the 'stir stick', then after ejecting the 'puck' of spent coffee, i use the same paper towel to wipe any remaining grinds from the plunger, and its good to go for a second round. once every few days, I pull the plunger out, and wipe it down with a wet towel to remove any coffee oil accumulation. and literally thats it for cleaning.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #50

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
indeed! i use a halfsized paper towel to wipe off the 'stir stick', then after ejecting the 'puck' of spent coffee, i use the same paper towel to wipe any remaining grinds from the plunger, and its good to go for a second round.
Ditto.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:03 AM   #51

Name: Carol
Trailer: M6
Alaska
Wow! A cool idea and very convenient! I love coffee. I recently read that for healthy people, caffeine is more useful than harmful.
neoxblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #52

Name: E. Jane
Trailer: Trillium 1980 1300 Deluxe
Massachusetts
simple alternative

Now I don't make espresso , but a strong cup of coffee using a collapsible silicone filter and #2 size paper filters.

On our last trip after we had changed to our "new" camper, I COULD NOT FIND that cone! So I used the paper coffee filter and dental floss and made a serviceable coffee pod.
Attached Thumbnails
filter.jpg  
jbclabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #53

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
GSI Outdoors 1-cup espresso maker.

We have used this little guy in the past.

GSI Outdoors 1-cup espresso maker.

Now we just use a 5-cup percolator and coarse-ground coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6581.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:05 AM   #54

Name: Carol
Trailer: M6
Alaska
Wow! A cool idea and very convenient! I love coffee. I recently read that for healthy people, caffeine is more useful than harmful. It is also found in tea, energy drinks, cola, cocoa and chocolate. The main thing is not to exceed the recommended dose.I am constantly looking for new varieties of coffee and recipes for its preparation. After all, every new taste is something amazing. And of course, I keep track of new products and various devices for its preparation. I was prompted by a very cool website where there is a lot of very interesting information and you can order various accessories and coffee coffeeinformer.com
neoxblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #55

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Expensive, but intriguing for espresso

Was looking for maker Alan recommended above… noticed this.

https://us.consiglioskitchenware.com...espresso-maker
Old 05-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Was looking for maker Alan recommended above… noticed this.

https://us.consiglioskitchenware.com...espresso-maker
You can get an espresso maker for a lot less money than that. Not stainless steel, but a lot cheaper.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Aluminu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 05-01-2022, 05:06 PM   #57

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You can get an espresso maker for a lot less money than that. Not stainless steel, but a lot cheaper.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Aluminu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Glenn, fershur, that’s expensive… but appears to be outstanding quality. I'd jump on the Walmart one… but just do NOT do aluminum
Old 05-01-2022, 05:21 PM   #58

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Was looking for maker Alan recommended above.
We JUST TODAY decided to retire the espresso machine I showed you.

You could have it for free if you wanted it, HOWEVER, it's aluminum and you say you don't want aluminum.

Let me know if you decide you want it and I'll send it to you.

(Or anyone else who wants it. We're simplifying, and we'll never use it since we have changed to a two-person camping situation. I'll pop it in the mail for you.)
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:06 PM   #59

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
We JUST TODAY decided to retire the espresso machine I showed you.

You could have it for free if you wanted it, HOWEVER, it's aluminum and you say you don't want aluminum.

Let me know if you decide you want it and I'll send it to you.

(Or anyone else who wants it. We're simplifying, and we'll never use it since we have changed to a two-person camping situation. I'll pop it in the mail for you.)
Well, that is a lovely offer, and so kind of you! I guess I will let someone else take you up on it though, because several folks indicate they don't mind aluminum. (BTW, I ordered the brake controller you recommended!)
Old 05-01-2022, 07:55 PM   #60

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The thing looks like a percolator to me... $2 at a thrift shop??
Of course I don't drink coffee.

My friend Lindy always makes "cowboy" coffee.
I bought a pot suitable for that at a thrift shop and use it to store unpopped popcorn.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote