Muffins in a Dutch oven? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Muffins in a Dutch oven?

Is there a good way (type of pan or insert?) to make muffins in a Dutch oven? (Not just muffin recipes as a cake but actual individual muffins?)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
You could buy some disposable foil muffin pans and put them in the dutch oven. Even cut them up so you utilize the space most efficiently.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #3

Registry
Oh, that's a good idea. Thanks, Jim. I thought of the pans but didn't think of cutting them up. (Though I might slice myself if I do.)
Old 05-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
Save some for me, I love DO cooking, too!!
Old 05-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

Name: Barbara & Frank
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe 2008
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Barbara Lukehart
If you like Dutch oven food...

If you like Dutch Oven food, you will really enjoy each San Lorenzo FiberglassRVRally and each Lake casitas FiberglassRVRally in CA. We had 12 DO pizzas and the next day we had 16 DO meals to share! IT was awesome!
Barbara Lukehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #6

Registry
I was there in 2014, Barbara, but now I've moved to Washington State so probably won't be back soon. I haven't done pizza but my friends do Boboli pizzas (individual) in the Dutch oven. Lisa M made an awesome pizza at San Lorenzo last year, though, in that great big Dutch oven.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Anything you can bake/cook in regular oven you can cook in a DO. That said, muffins, corn bread, and etc. are often easier to cook in a "back packer" During my backpacking years breakfast often was biscuits and gravy - finger food. It was a biscuit with a gravy mix added and shredded jerky all mixed up and cooked in a bakepacker. It was cooked while braking camp and repacking backpacks. You either sit on a log to eat your biscuit breakfast or eat it while heading down the trail heading for the next camp.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

Registry
Interesting, Byron. I don't have any problem baking in the Dutch Oven but at times the load doesn't work as well as muffin cups.

Though I did run into this problem after making a rhubarb crisp last trip. It was apparently too good.
Attached Thumbnails
coon.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Is there a good way (type of pan or insert?) to make muffins in a Dutch oven? (Not just muffin recipes as a cake but actual individual muffins?)

Use a muffin pan or baking dish slightly smaller than the diameter of the Dutch oven and use a trivet or spacers under the dish to allow air to circulate around it. After that it's just a matter of getting the temperature right. The baking dish trick makes cooking almost anything in a Dutch oven pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Interesting, Byron. I don't have any problem baking in the Dutch Oven but at times the load doesn't work as well as muffin cups.

Though I did run into this problem after making a rhubarb crisp last trip. It was apparently too good.

I haven't used it but I bought a soft silicon muffin tray with 6 cups. I had thought of cutting it up and using individual cups to make muffins. I haven't done it yet. Since my wife ran off the muffin tray I probably won't.
I have made bread in silicon round bread pan inside a DO. Works great.
Good luck and happy camping with your DO.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #11

Registry
I have one of those inserts that raises things off the bottom of the pan. But I think the easiest thing for cups will be the foil ones. I am going to keep my eye open for a round pan, though.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Hi Michael from VA. I'm wondering where is the best place to buy a Dutch oven, and is black preferable? I like the colors but I'm not sure that they would work too well in a campfire or even heating it on the gas stove for baking. Where can I find the insert? Thanks!
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
Hi Michael from VA. I'm wondering where is the best place to buy a Dutch oven, and is black preferable? I like the colors but I'm not sure that they would work too well in a campfire or even heating it on the gas stove for baking. Where can I find the insert? Thanks!
The colors are enamel coating. Look pretty but not good over charcoal or an open fire. The most popular cast iron Dutch Ovens are made by Lodge. They're pre-seasoned and strong. I have several and a Camp Chef.

I think there's a good possibility that enameled cast iron would have the enamel crack when used over an open fire or charcoal. They're made to be used in a oven where the temperature is applied evenly around the outside. Where a campfire or charcoal will heat with a quite a bit of heat in one area until things even out. Another thing I haven't seen any "Camp" Dutch Ovens that were enameled. The difference between a camp dutch oven and oven dutch oven is mostly in the lid. The lid of a camp Dutch oven has a lip around it to hole coal on the top. This is important to make the DO act more like an oven.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #14

Registry
Lid and feet. Most camp Dutch Ovens have feet so they can stand over the charcoal. I found the insert at Amazon, I think. camp oven rack

You'll find camp ovens there, too. (Search camp oven instead of Dutch oven- other kinds come up, too, though. The camp ovens have feet and a lid with a rim.

Lots of other things you might want once you get cooking in a Dutch oven- they have tables so you can stand and cook, and you definitely need a charcoal chimney, tongs, and some kind of pot lifter. A lid stand is nice, too, but so far I've gotten by without one.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Enamel cast iron would not travel well. I chipped the lid of one, just putting it on the pot.