New Method for Corn on the Cob - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
New Method for Corn on the Cob

For those of you with a microwave, this looks easy enough... No pot to clean either.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Outstanding. I am all about easy Corn on the Cob. Thanks!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #3

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
This method actually works great. About 2 years ago my daughter in law told me about it - 8 minutes for 2 ears. It works! No silking and corn comes out so tender. My husband has always disliked grocery store corn - he raised his own and insisted it be picked right at cooking time. Those days are gone now that we don't grow corn any more. So I was delighted to try this and it really works - makes even that grocery store corn edible.
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #4

Michigan
You're welcome Tim. This came to me courtesy of America's Digital Goddess, Kim Komando.

Glad it works, Melanie. Thanks for the first hand knowledge. I'd feel like an idiot if it didn't actually work. mg

Tom
Old 07-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
I have never boiled water for corn since learning this method. terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Great tip. Went out and bought three ears. It worked just fine. We each ate one and made corn muffins with the remaining one.

Good eating

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #7

Name: unsubscribed
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Great tip. Went out and bought three ears. It worked just fine. We each ate one and made corn muffins with the remaining one.

Good eating
How do you eat just 1 ear of corn? I have a hard time stopping at 6, let alone 1! Of course I have to take a L O N G walk afterwards.
Linda
LindaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #8

Michigan
I'm glad this is working out so well. My wife came home from the supermarket today reporting that the corn on the cob selection was pretty bad. Very little left on the shelf, and all picked over. It will have to wait till tomorrow. That video must be going viral. Headlines: "Corn Shortage Hits North America" "Scientists Blame TomK"

Tom
Old 07-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #9

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
No microwave in the trailer, but that's the way we always do it a home. We find that the shucks actually enrich the flavor.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #10

Florida
One ear?

We had already had a $5 lobster roll. The one ear felt like plenty. It was great. Since we've become trailer people we eat less.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #11

Michigan
Norm, not sure what a lobster roll is, but it sure sounds good. I don't think I ever had a bad meal that had the word "lobster" in it!

Tom
Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #12

Name: unsubscribed
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
We need to get a camper fast if it helps lose weight from eating less! BTW Norm, we love your posts!
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Linda
LindaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #13

Name: anne
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Registry
we wrap our corn with saran wrap and put butter inside husks taste so yummy
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:48 AM   #14

Florida
TomK.
A lobster roll is a roll stuffed with lobster, a little lettuce and Mayo. Other items can be in the mix. It's like pizza, the formula varies by restaurant and even region. In NL it included onions, tomatoes, Celery and a garlic' roll, here it was just a hot dog roll. $5 is a great price.

If you're from the north east up thru Canada you know lobster.

I once had 6 business guest from Germany who wanted to try Lobster. We went out to dinner. When the lobster came no one would even take a bite. I guess they looked too bug like.
Life is surprise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #15

Michigan
Norm, lobster here in the midwest, is a rare and expensive (for us) treat. My wife is from Tangier Island, VA. It's an island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay. Blue crabs are their specialty, but she knows her seafood. She told me in no uncertain terms that a trip to New England is high on her bucket list! We'll call that adventure "Lobster Quest".

One of the best meals I ever had was when my unit was sent to Gagetown, New Brunswick in the early '90's. Some of the Canadian Soldiers took us to a restaurant in Fredrickton, and we feasted on the biggest, freshest lobsters I've ever seen. We talked about it for years. Alcohol was supposed to be off limits to us. That policy came from our Command back home. When the Canadians bought us a round of Labatts Blue, I explained to my Co. Cmdr. that to refuse, might create an international incident. He came to his senses. Beer flowed. Good times!

In an effort to stop hijacking my own thread, I think we had corn on the cob too.

Tom
Old 07-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #16

Florida
TomK, Don't feel you're hijacking your own thread, corn and lobster are usually served together in New England and if you're really lucky and in Maine, with wild blueberry pie. Your corn solution is great for a couple, fast, little rig/kitchen heating and neat.

I grew up on New England lobster, a year round catch here, not so in the Maritime provinces where it's a seasonal catch. I find the Newfoundland lobster be of excellent quality, maybe it's the colder water.

When you come to the Maritime provinces, you can enjoy all kinds of great seafood. We usually eat it once a day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Well, I had my hopes of quick and tastey Corn on the Cob dashed on the rocks of disappointment yesterday when the local Store had none still in the husk. Looks like it is off to the Farmer's Market for me!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #18

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Well, I had my hopes of quick and tastey Corn on the Cob dashed on the rocks of disappointment yesterday when the local Store had none still in the husk. Looks like it is off to the Farmer's Market for me!
Oh-Oh! It's starting Tim. See Post #8

Tom
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
if you want a lot of corn done at the same time
Husk the cobbs, place in an old cooler, cover w/boiling water, close lid, wait about 20 min, MMMMM good.
The reason I said an old cooler is the boiling water may warp the inside of cooler.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Good eating
Norm,
Would you mind sharing your recipe for corn muffins with the forum?
Thanks
Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote