Plan, Pack & Prepare Meals the KISS Way!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2022, 10:57 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Plan, Pack & Prepare Meals the KISS Way!!!

Hi Folks,
I have a KISS (Keep it Simple Sweetie) method for planning, packing and preparing meals for camping. My photos will help make my method clear.

The basic ingredients to a healthy plate are protein, grains/carbs (unrefined), and fruits and vegetables. Of course, you have to add a few treats and embellishments. When making our menus we incorporate the basics and make a list. The hand-written chart is put on 8.5 x 11" paper and is a grid of 3 horizontal rows labeled: Protein, Grains/Carbs, and Fruits/Vegetables. The 4 vertical rows are labeled Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Other. It's that simple.

For instance, breakfast is dairy or nut milk (protein), bran flakes (grain/carbs) and fresh oranges, canned Mandarins (or orange-flavored TANG beverage)
Plan the same for each meal and include the number of servings you will need for each item.

We purchase the fresh, frozen, canned and dry goods.

The photo shows how we, physically, laid out all the food on a bed sheet on our dining table on which the grid is taped with masking tape (easily removed) and the labels are self-stick mailing labels. (Anything else would work such as Post-It Notes or more masking tape.) Use the chart as a check-off list. Easy-Peasy!

We then pack all the food into 3 milk crates labeled Breakfast/Other, Lunch and Dinner. Of course, the fresh and frozen items may need to be in a cooler.)

We hope that this suggestion will make your camping food planning, packing and preparing Easy/Peasy too!!

BTW, We recently re-stocked our emergency 3-day and 2-week emergency food supply the same way!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3426.jpg   IMG_3424.jpg  

IMG_3427.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Where's the beer?
Old 04-29-2022, 06:47 AM   #3

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Where's the beer?
Porter or stout! Counts as a protein and a carb!
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #4

California
Registry
Ha, ha!! Oops, 'need to add "Happy Beverages" category!
Old 04-30-2022, 09:03 AM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hi Folks,
I have a KISS (Keep it Simple Sweetie) method for planning, packing and preparing meals for camping. My photos will help make my method clear.

The basic ingredients to a healthy plate are protein, grains/carbs (unrefined), and fruits and vegetables. Of course, you have to add a few treats and embellishments. When making our menus we incorporate the basics and make a list. The hand-written chart is put on 8.5 x 11" paper and is a grid of 3 horizontal rows labeled: Protein, Grains/Carbs, and Fruits/Vegetables. The 4 vertical rows are labeled Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Other. It's that simple.

For instance, breakfast is dairy or nut milk (protein), bran flakes (grain/carbs) and fresh oranges, canned Mandarins (or orange-flavored TANG beverage)
Plan the same for each meal and include the number of servings you will need for each item.

We purchase the fresh, frozen, canned and dry goods.

The photo shows how we, physically, laid out all the food on a bed sheet on our dining table on which the grid is taped with masking tape (easily removed) and the labels are self-stick mailing labels. (Anything else would work such as Post-It Notes or more masking tape.) Use the chart as a check-off list. Easy-Peasy!

We then pack all the food into 3 milk crates labeled Breakfast/Other, Lunch and Dinner. Of course, the fresh and frozen items may need to be in a cooler.)

We hope that this suggestion will make your camping food planning, packing and preparing Easy/Peasy too!!

BTW, We recently re-stocked our emergency 3-day and 2-week emergency food supply the same way!
Our way is very simple also. We cook enough at meals to make 2 and freeze one. We do that until the amount of meals is reached that we need for a long trip. We add to that cereal, instant hot oatmeal, instant potatoes, rice, etc. Anything we eat at home we take. Most meals require one pan and sometimes 2. We take a lot of fresh fruit and veggies to munch on. Of course desserts are a must and we take ice cream bars or buy them when the freezer gets room in it, pudding cups, etc. This way we have a choice of foods and meals. In the Casita the freezer is smaller and we'll take an ice chest but put bottles or jugs of frozen water and containers sealed with soups, chili, etc in it. Anything in the ice chest must be larger and not thaw quickly. Then we top off with some ice. We eat food from the ice chest first and by the time it all thaws and the water jugs thaw we have usually eaten it all. If not one or 2 meals can go in the fridge. Basically no muss no fuss and we eat like at home.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #6

California
Registry
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your reply! Keep them coming everyone!
You got me at "ice cream bars". We only have a cooler (supplied with ice) in our trailer and carry a separate cooler in the trunk of the car/tow vehicle. Sadly, we have no freezer but stops along the way provide us with treats of ice cream bars.

We've planned our next trip and find we only need a tiny cooler for eggs and shelf-stable almond milk (after we open the carton). Normally we'll be mostly "off the grid" and we'd add fresh lettuce, veggies and "fragile fruits and veggies". This trip we decided to go the, mostly, luxurious route. We will stay put in our campground by the Pacific Ocean, which is nearby our home in northern California (feel sorry for us) AND foray into the small town for some breakfast and lunch breaks at the many seafood restaurants and cafes nearby. Lounging on the beach, going for casual walks, sketching and watercolor painting, enjoying the sunsets...it's not Hawaii, but it's awfully good. ;-)
Old 04-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #7

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Porter or stout! Counts as a protein and a carb!
Have not had a drink of alcohol in 30 years, and have no desire for one today. And if I were to have one you would not like me!!!

If I were to pick up one, it would be something like Mescan Westport Red Tripel from Westport, Co Mayo, Ireland. Always drank my beer warm!! And I always loved a good gin like Beefeaters!

But once I start, I don't want to stop!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your reply! Keep them coming everyone!
You got me at "ice cream bars". We only have a cooler (supplied with ice) in our trailer and carry a separate cooler in the trunk of the car/tow vehicle. Sadly, we have no freezer but stops along the way provide us with treats of ice cream bars.
Gilda, you CAN have a freezer and keep ice cream bars and frozen treats. You can also refreeze your water for the other ice chest. Keep one small ice chest as your freezer. Place dry ice in the bottom. (Make certain to read all safety and handling information about dry ice… keep it wrapped and never touch it with bare hands) Place a cardboard square over the dry ice. Place goodies on top.

Viola. Freezer!

Dry ice sublimates faster if there is open space in your chest. So fill any extra space with bottles of water… and keep remaking ice for your other ice chest. This system works so well that I consider my little 3-way refrigerator a waste of space.

Quote:
…We will stay put in our campground by the Pacific Ocean, which is nearby our home in northern California (feel sorry for us)
Are we sorry because NoCal beautiful and we are jealous, or sorry because… it’s California?

Quote:
AND foray into the small town for some breakfast and lunch breaks at the many seafood restaurants and cafes nearby. Lounging on the beach, going for casual walks, sketching and watercolor painting, enjoying the sunsets...it's not Hawaii, but it's awfully good. ;-)
Well, I AM jealous… because I’m not over there… being a NoCal gal myself. I won’t ask you to reveal your location, but will say that Patrick’s Point and Agate Beach are my happy places. And Big Lagoon, where we used to sail with the Humbolt Yacht Club.

I brought my LilB home last night… and today begin redoing the interior decor. Thank you for your menu planning thoughts… I have done something similar when we traveled… and kept everything in my binder/travel journal. So I still know what worked best 7 years ago (and now much dry ice I needed for a 3-day weekend with two people)

Enjoy your time by the ocean!
Old 04-30-2022, 10:41 AM   #9

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Have not had a drink of alcohol in 30 years, and have no desire for one today. And if I were to have one you would not like me!!!

If I were to pick up one, it would be something like Mescan Westport Red Tripel from Westport, Co Mayo, Ireland. Always drank my beer warm!! And I always loved a good gin like Beefeaters!

But once I start, I don't want to stop!
Pat, we all have our strengths and weaknesses and very few are wise enough to keep them sorted… so good on you!

I liked my warm Guinness when in Ireland and still love it here, warm or cold! My husband made gin gimlets to die for… and I’ve never been quite able to replicate his product. Fortunately, I CAN stop, but being 25% Irish and prone to the problem, and the granddaughter of a sweet alcoholic Irish granddad, I do take great care not to overdo

My one great confession is that I prefer salt in my beer…. Even the Guinness. Fortunately no Irish bartenders kicked me to the curb: