portable gas grill. Weber Q 1200 or what? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Well, you can always smoke a pork butt at home, freeze it after pulling and warm it up when camping. Spatchcock a chicken and grill ( burn ) it on low.

This Napoleon is not compact. When I was considering replacing my home Weber, I thought maybe I'll just get a stand for the Napoleon.
I do like the versatility for camping, even if I have to stow it in the aisle. It's first out of the trailer when we camp.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #22

Name: Phil
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
I just got this one, planning to fire it up this evening: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NKYJB..._rC4AFbADQNF0R
Phil Ruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Casita
Alberta
Since no one else has mentioned them, I settled on a Magma grill. The model I have is called the Mesquite which I bought at MEC in Canada. I believe that they share the same supply chain as REI in the US. Like the other brands already mentioned, it wasn’t cheap but it is the smallest quality grill I found. Grate size on my unit is 9x12”. Heats up quick and is adjustable. Overall, we’re quite happy with the purchase.

Website is magmaproducts.com.
Seebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #24

Name: Grant
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
British Columbia
Blackstone Grill

I have been leaving my barbecue at home, I just take my Blackstone grill and it seems to do everything that I want. It’s great for eggs hashbrowns steaks burgers chicken. Very easy clean up with only using some water and paper towels. I keep it seasoned well. It’s also connected to my low pressure connection with the splitter and my ranger ll stove.
Attached Thumbnails
3D9AC3A3-44C5-4EF4-A566-670344939159.jpg  
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
South Carolina
We use and like the Volcano grill. Just google Volcano grill. We have the 3 fuel model. It collapses to a small profile and doesn't weigh much. The only regret is you can't adjust the height of the the lower charcoal grill to place close to the top grill, but I just use foil to cover and trap heat. And don't leave out in the rain...it will rust. Not saying it's better or not, just another option that might work for you.
John
johnwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #26

Name: K
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Alternative

You might consider this one from Costco: https://www.costco.ca/nexgrill-48.2-cm-(19-in.)-portable-propane-bbq-grill.product.100532296.html
We’ve had it a couple of years and it works like a charm. I was skeptical at first, but my research showed it to be a great product. The only limitation is that the lid is a bit low, but that also makes it easier to transport.
Two burners, gets plenty hot and the grill itself is very thick and durable.
KBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #27

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita and Hemisphere
Kentucky
Have both, so I guess you need to determine space vs. people served. As for the regulator, I've found most problems are self-inflicted, but turning the regulator off improperly and dropping the pressure too quickly.

A suggestion....once you get one.....get some thick cut bacon, turn the grill on medium, and place the bacon directly on the grate like a steak. No mess in the trailer and the best flavored bacon ever.
oldharry2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
well, after looking at how small the q1000 and q1200 were at a local HW store, I just ordered a Napoleon 285X (with the integrated stand). Should be here Oct 1. We're going to Lake Casitas later on in October, so that will be its test run.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:18 AM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Ontario
I have the Weber 1200 and have been very pleased with it.
The regulator eventually gave trouble. I took it apart and had a clear oil leak from it. Searching with Google it appears it came from the propane tank. I generally used it on the tailgate of my pickup truck with a 20 lb tank behind it. Not as commonly configured with the tank below the bbq. Apparently this causes the problem.

So I replaced the Weber regulator with an adjustable regulator that sits on top of the tank. The new regulator can be adjusted from 0-20” water. The Weber regulator is rated for 11”. This regulator combined with the Weber burner valve provides a much wider , finer temperature range. I can bring the bbq up to 500* in about 10 min instead of 20. Run it low and slow for long cooks.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/60-li...page&rrec=true

Bob
Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #30

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanarkwanderer View Post
I have the Weber 1200 and have been very pleased with it.
The regulator eventually gave trouble. I took it apart and had a clear oil leak from it. Searching with Google it appears it came from the propane tank. I generally used it on the tailgate of my pickup truck with a 20 lb tank behind it. Not as commonly configured with the tank below the bbq. Apparently this causes the problem.

So I replaced the Weber regulator with an adjustable regulator that sits on top of the tank. The new regulator can be adjusted from 0-20” water. The Weber regulator is rated for 11”. This regulator combined with the Weber burner valve provides a much wider , finer temperature range. I can bring the bbq up to 500* in about 10 min instead of 20. Run it low and slow for long cooks.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/60-li...page&rrec=true

Bob

yeah, read that the Weber's have the regulators fail frequently, so my plan was to do exactly what you did. maybe even install a low pressure gas quick release port curbside, so we could just run it off the Escape's regulator (also 11").

But, we decided to get the Napoleon instead.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #31
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, read that the Weber's have the regulators fail frequently, so my plan was to do exactly what you did. maybe even install a low pressure gas quick release port curbside, so we could just run it off the Escape's regulator (also 11").

But, we decided to get the Napoleon instead.
Interesting that you say you read that Weber regulators fail frequently. I used my Q100 for 9 years before converting it to low pressure for use on my trailer’s QD and the regulator was still good. The one time I thought it had failed it was the burner that was plugged up. Fifteen minutes with a paper clip solved the problem. The second time it happened I knew to get the paper clip out.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #32

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Interesting that you say you read that Weber regulators fail frequently. I used my Q100 for 9 years before converting it to low pressure for use on my trailer’s QD and the regulator was still good. The one time I thought it had failed it was the burner that was plugged up. Fifteen minutes with a paper clip solved the problem. The second time it happened I knew to get the paper clip out.
I mostly read about the newer Q1000, Q1200, Q2200 having regulator problems within a year of purchase. some folks had apparently replaced them 2-3 times before swapping them out for a tank-side regulator.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #33
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I mostly read about the newer Q1000, Q1200, Q2200 having regulator problems within a year of purchase. some folks had apparently replaced them 2-3 times before swapping them out for a tank-side regulator.
I didn’t think in those terms, John. It very well could be “reduced quality” in recent years. They just don’t make them like they used to!
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Ontario
I disassembled the bbq and clear oil dripped from the regulator. I had been using it with a 20lb tank behind the bbq that sat on the tailgate of my pickup truck. So the tank was above the bbq and regulator. From what I’ve read there can be oil in propane tanks and as long as the tank is below the regulator no problems.
Since I needed to change the regulator anyway I decided to upgrade to the adjustable. I’m also going add the quick connect fitting for more options as you suggest.
You made a good choice in a bbq I’m sure you will get many great meals from it.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
17E57BE3-843E-452E-BCA3-1D43690E20B3.jpg  
Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #35

Mid Left Coast
So recieved the TQ285X last week, finally got around to hooking it up and seasoning the grills per the supplied instructions.

initially I tried using the "Shinestar" brand (ugh) propane hose I got off amazon, with a full 20 lb propane tank... burners were sputtering and erratic, huh. today, with it all cooled off, I disconnected the hose, and found a half full 1 lb disposable in the garage and hooked /that/ up, and the burners fired right up. two burners on medium, 30 minutes later, the lid thermometer said it was like 550 or 600 degrees. the grills we'd wiped down in crisco last night now look properly seasoned. Shinestar is going back to Amazon where the star won't shine no mo, and I'll get a Weber or something hose at the local HW store.

set one burner on LOW, and the other off, and left it running another 30-40 mins, went out there and checked, lid thermometer said 350, but my IR thermometer said the griddle was 250 on the 'off' side, and 400 or so on the 'low' side. thats good enough for slow cooking a small roast or whatever.

bummer, the aluminum liner trays for the drip pan are unobtanium, and an odd size/shape such that generic 'weber' style ones probably won't work well.

the red TQ 285X we got also came with a griddle, so we'll have to season that next.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #36

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Didn't the TQ285X come with a hose? Guess that's one way to lower the price.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #37

Name: Phil
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
I ordered disposable trays for mine, but got these that don't fit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLXNQV9...p_mob_ap_share
But I was able to stretch out the corners and flatten them down so they work fine. Just a bit more work.
Phil Ruffin is offline   Reply With Quote