portable gas grill. Weber Q 1200 or what? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 12:08 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
portable gas grill. Weber Q 1200 or what?

We want to get a portable gas grill. I think I've narrowe dit down to the...
  • Weber Q1200
    1. Smaller
    2. Lighter (28 lbs)
    3. Cooks for 2
  • Weber Q2200
    1. Larger
    2. Heavier (45 lbs)
    3. Cooks for 4

either of these, I'd use with a 20 lb bottle and adapter hose. When the problematic Weber regulator fails, I'll get a regulator hose for the 20 lb, and put a low pressure quick release connector where the regulator used to be on the Q...

SOOO.

anyone have a Q that can offer any pros or cons, or suggest any better portable grills ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Yup. I have a Napoleon 285P which has two burners so I can cook direct or indirect ( placing the food on the side that isn't lit ). The lid is tall enough for a large chicken.
I've had the small Weber, a Dickenson, a Broil King and my Napoleon is not compact, but it's the best of the bunch.
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon 2 - 1.jpg  
Old 09-17-2020, 01:00 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
  • Weber Q1200
    1. Smaller
    2. Lighter (28 lbs)
    3. Cooks for 2
  • Weber Q2200
    1. Larger
    2. Heavier (45 lbs)
    3. Cooks for 4

either of these, I'd use with a 20 lb bottle and adapter hose. When the problematic Weber regulator fails, I'll get a regulator hose for the 20 lb, and put a low pressure quick release connector where the regulator used to be on the Q...

SOOO.

anyone have a Q that can offer any pros or cons, or suggest any better portable grills ?

Very happy with the Q220 that I've had for .. eh 10? more? years. (Q220 was the predecessor to the Q2200.) It's a great grill, very versatile. I cook on it all year long. I cook meat, veggies, tator tots, frozen french fries, lots of stuff. 20lb tank will last a very long time. Might even be able to get away with a refillable 1lb and just refill it from the 20lb. I haven't cooked on a Q1200, so I can't compare the two.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:13 AM   #4

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yup. I have a Napoleon 285P ....
I'm not finding a 285P, is that the 285 Pro ? or did they juggle all the models around, and what you got a few years back isn't quite what they are selling now :-p

(more things change, the more they stay the same!)
Old 09-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
  • Weber Q1200
    1. Smaller
    2. Lighter (28 lbs)
    3. Cooks for 2
  • Weber Q2200
    1. Larger
    2. Heavier (45 lbs)
    3. Cooks for 4

SOOO.

John, I have an older Q100 (now Q1000) for use in the trailer and a Q2200 (electri igniter) for use at home. The only maintenance I have ever done other than normal cleaning was having to clear the burner holes on the larger 2200 grill. The holes can get plugged and after 3 years of heavy use I cleared them out using a paper clip which is the perfect sized “punch” to do the job. Both have been converted to low pressure. I fabricated cylinder adapters with low pressure female QDs and regulators with Acme connectors already attached. This setup allows me to use the Q100 away from the trailer with my more easily carried smaller refillable propane cylinder.

I considered replacing the Q100 with the Napoleon mentioned. I saw it at CW (I don’t know if CW still sells it, but I rejected it for three reasons, even though the ability to use only one burner for indirect heat is a plus and the reason I looked at it. I do use a small broiling pan with a raised rack inside of it that diverts direct heat around the sides of the pan, and it works almost as well for indirect heating as a second burner. It appeared to be a good grill. However, I found that:

1. It seemed a bit tinny to me,
2. It was too long to fit in the front storage compartment of my 5.0TA,
3. It was too large to fit in a tote, which is how I transport my Q100.

Even though the smaller Q is advertised as cooking for two, I have, on many occasions, grilled steaks, burgers, dogs, and chicken for four with no problem. Another consideration is that Weber has millions of Q grills in use and repair parts if ever needed are easy to obtain, directly from Weber or, due to the popularity of the Q series, from aftermarket manufacturers. Any time I have called Weber to get questions answered, I have found their customer service to be second to none. And there is little obsolescence. Even though they have changed the Q100 to the Q1000, they made the feet different and the lid taller. All the internals (burner, control assembly, etc.) are interchangeable.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Q1000 has worked great for us the last 5 years. Just normal cleaning has kept it in like new condition. I can see using it for the next 10 years, easy. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm not finding a 285P, is that the 285 Pro ? or did they juggle all the models around, and what you got a few years back isn't quite what they are selling now :-p

(more things change, the more they stay the same!)

It's this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 8.55.50 AM.jpg  
Old 09-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #8

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
I have the smaller Q (110 I believe) and have been quite happy with it. Cooked easily for 2 and have cooked for 4 as well - depends on what you're cooking. Once did a nice roast BBQ pork tenderloin (Nom-Nom-Nom!) spuds & veg in foil, corn on the cob - in stages of course, foil-wrapping the roast to let it sit anyway - everything came out nice and hot at meal time. Had this little guy for about 15 years now (?) and have no problem with it. In my last RV, I installed a T fitting in the propane line (I had a single 60lb tank in the motorhome) so that I could run the Q straight from the existing tank.

Now that I am in the Bigfoot, I plan to run a copper line from the existing LP line underneath so that I can install an adapter on the door side (I have disconnected and capped 2 of the incoming LP lines to the coach, since those appliances no longer exist), or place an in-line T just after the regulator (if that is possible) and do the same thing. Saves hauling around another tank as well as weight and space.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #9

Name: Don
Trailer: Boler 1300
Washington
We had problems with the Q grills regulator, bought a "O" grill and have had no problems,for many years, works very well for two, GL ,Don
boler don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by boler don View Post
We had problems with the Q grills regulator, bought a "O" grill and have had no problems,for many years, works very well for two, GL ,Don
Don, I saw that O grill - looks nice, but already had my Q. When the Q packs it in though (if), I will take another look at it.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #11

What is O grill?
Doesn't turn up when I search Johnstone's BBQ, largest outlet in Vancouver area.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
What is O grill?
Doesn't turn up when I search Johnstone's BBQ, largest outlet in Vancouver area.
I think it's been replaced/renamed/rebranded? by the Napoleon Travel-Q. Looks like the same grill
Old 09-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
I think it's been replaced/renamed/rebranded? by the Napoleon Travel-Q. Looks like the same grill

I've seen grills at Canadian Tire that are cheaper versions of regular Napoleon grills, to achieve a price point. Those may be the same 'tinny' grills rejected by Carl when viewed at CW.
Big box stores often order product to a price point with cheaper, substandard parts. ( My brother-in-law sells quality Qs, fireplaces and spas. )
Old 09-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #14

Name: Clifford
Trailer: In the market
Nova Scotia
I have both!

So we first purchased a 2200 for our home use. Loved it so much we purchased the 1200 for the trailer. They are both great but I highly suggest making sure whatever model you get it has the thermostat built in. In our use of the larger one it has been very accurate it seems and certainly helps in cooking things like whole small chickens or a small roast. The smaller one fits our needs fine as there is just two of us yet we’ve easily cooked for 4+.
The heat is very consistent but hot! We tend to run the trailer Weber on on lower gas settings and it gets the job done fine. Easy cleanup.
Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #15

Mid Left Coast
ok, here's a question for any of these grills... one of the things I like about our big weber at home, light a single burner and put it on LOW, and the temperature stays around 200-220 inside with the lid closed, which is great for slow cooking stuff, smoking, etc. can any of these portable grills maintain a temp that low ?
Old 09-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #16

Well, that will give me something to do this afternoon. Need to make sure the Napoleon is clean anyway.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
ok, here's a question for any of these grills... one of the things I like about our big weber at home, light a single burner and put it on LOW, and the temperature stays around 200-220 inside with the lid closed, which is great for slow cooking stuff, smoking, etc. can any of these portable grills maintain a temp that low ?
John, while my older Q100 did not have a thermometer like the Q1000 or Q1200 have, I added one by carefully measuring and figuring out exactly where I needed to drill a hole in the lid. I can tell you that if the grill is on low and the temperature is still too high for my liking, I simply prop the front corner of the lid open by placing a 6-inch bolt across the front corner and let the lid sit on it. By creating a thin opening, I have been able to lower the internal temperature. Like any grill, it takes a bit of use to become proficient in its use. I believe that propping open the lid a small amount would work with any of the grills that have been mentioned. Doing so would vent a bit of smoke, but any grill that smokes the meat has to vent some of the smoke.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #18

Quote:

First pic is two burners on low after 20 minutes, lid closed.
Second pic is one burner on low, after 20 minutes, lid closed.
Third pic is actual temp at the grill on the unlit side.
Thermometer in the lid of a BBQ can only be used for reference. It's not an accurate gauge.

BTW, Napoleon grill design prevents small thin items like asparagus from falling through the grill.
Attached Thumbnails
2 burners low.jpg   1 burner low.jpg  

1 burner low at grill.jpg  
Old 09-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #19

BTW. My home Weber is more than 15 years old. The main burner body, tub? has a couple small holes so I priced its replacement - $1,500 CAD. Got out my aluminum duct tape.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #20

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
First pic is two burners on low after 20 minutes, lid closed.
Second pic is one burner on low, after 20 minutes, lid closed.
Third pic is actual temp at the grill on the unlit side.
Thermometer in the lid of a BBQ can only be used for reference. It's not an accurate gauge.

BTW, Napoleon grill design prevents small thin items like asparagus from falling through the grill.
awesome, thanks.

been trying to find someone local to me who stocks them so I can get eyeballs on one and get a better feel for its size for portability. the only dealer listed thats here in town says they no longer have any because they were really hard to get stock and weren't selling very fast.

right now I'm back towards leaning on the Q1200 for travel. we already have a big 3+ burner weber at home, which is awesome for everything from searing rare steaks to slow cooking a roast, but is totally unportable.