Precision Induction Cooktop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Precision Induction Cooktop

I keep seeing all of the infomercials on the PIC NuWave induction plate and thought boy that would be neat for cooking in the Egg and they show it for camping BUT then I went to Amazon and read the review horror stories and how bad it truly was. [side note no one was happy with the S&H which almost doubled the price and if you werent happy you had to pay S&H again to return it]
Has anyone had any up close and personal use of the PIC? I have been burnt several times over the years from infomercials and junk I end up throwing away that I have become almost a total skeptic. Although I do use the NuWave oven on the counter more than my home range.
Thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Wait long enough and you'll likely find that "infomercial" merchandise in one of those "As Seen On TV" stores, where you'll have a chance to assess the quality in person, & no S & H charges. Of course you don't get the satisfaction of immediacy, or the anticipation of waiting for the delivery!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Induction cook tops were introduced over 30 years ago. There must be some good reason why they haven't caught on. I can think of a couple. They require special pans which can only be used on the induction cook surface. If I remember correctly they also are energy hogs. For the "campers" among us they would be a real negative. You have to have electricity, special pots and pans, if you want to cook outside two sets of pots and pans would be required. All this for no advantage.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
In homes, I install quite a few stoves and ranges every year, and only 2 out of the last 100 or so have been induction. It sure would not be my choice, especially for camping, as I rarely am hooked up to the grid.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #5

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I actually have seen one for sale in Costco recently. The restriction on what pots and pans you can use and the nearly $100 price tag put me off mainly because we still haven't used the hot plate we have.

On the other hand we found a camp oven that is set up to use 1lb disposable propane bottles. Of course you can get adapters to use a 20lb bottle. We actually used it for Thanksgiving dinner to cook a couple casseroles while the bird was in the electric oven in the house. Works great and has two burners on top like a Coleman stove. Only issue is oven temperature - there is no thermostat, just a gauge. You have to fiddle with the controls to keep the temperature set.

Sorry I got a bit off topic. I would be interested in an inductive cook top if they made a gas/electric combo unit. Save my gas while I'm plugged in, but give me the option to cook if there is no power available.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post

I would be interested in an inductive cook top if they made a gas/electric combo unit. Save my gas while I'm plugged in, but give me the option to cook if there is no power available.

Jason
"Induction" in this case is an electrical term. So don't hold your breath.