pressure cooking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #1

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi all,
Well, it's almost my birthday, and time to buy myself a gift. Thinking of a pressure cooker. What I was wondering was, does it work well on a coleman stove? Is the heat consistant enough, or is that not an important issue?
When camping we almost always cook outside, and use an old(er) coleman, the kind that uses liquid fuel.
So, whadda ya think?
Thanks, Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
Years ago I did a little pressure canning on a coleman camp stove, (the kind of stove that runs on gas).
The pressure cooker has a weight on top that jingles when it is cooking.
Worked fine. Adjust the flame to keep the weight jingling a few times a minute.
DanM
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm thinking it should be fine as long as you keep the flame constant. They work fine on gas stoves in homes and restaurants.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #4

New York
Donna and Dan,
Thanks for your input! Still thinking about whether or not I REALLY do need another cooking toy.
Marjie
Old 04-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Marie,

I carry and use a pressure cooker. It works great both in the trailer on the stove or outside on a coleman stove.

Put the flame on high to get the little weight jiggling and then turn the fire down to where the weight just continues to jiggle. I've noted that both stoves are about a medium heat when I turn the heat down yet keep the weigh jiggling.

I used my pressure cooker this last weekend to cook artichokes. Cooked them for about 12 minutes after turning the heat down.

I quite often use the pressure cooker to cook stew. I cook for about 10 minutes after turning the heat down.

Right now I can't think of what else I use the pressure cooker for but it is definitely an item that has a permanent home in my trailer.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Mine had issues a few years ago and ended up becoming the dog's outside bowl. Haven't seen it in awhile. All this talk about pressure cookers lately makes me want one again. My birthday is next month. Is that a good excuse?

Quote:
Marie,

I carry and use a pressure cooker. It works great both in the trailer on the stove or outside on a coleman stove.

Put the flame on high to get the little weight jiggling and then turn the fire down to where the weight just continues to jiggle. I've noted that both stoves are about a medium heat when I turn the heat down yet keep the weigh jiggling.

I used my pressure cooker this last weekend to cook artichokes. Cooked them for about 12 minutes after turning the heat down.

I quite often use the pressure cooker to cook stew. I cook for about 10 minutes after turning the heat down.

Right now I can't think of what else I use the pressure cooker for but it is definitely an item that has a permanent home in my trailer.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Just bought a pressure cooker for my birthday and I love it!
There is a "new generation" of pressure cookers out there that are TOTALLY safe ( my fear) and amazing to use. Went for a swiss brand called "Kuhn Rikon" after lots of internet research and I could not be happier with it!
We use it for beans ( 5 to 12 minutes cooking after soaking depending on bean type) and rice (fast as well) and homemade soups in a flash. The recipe book says I can do cheesecake as well (great for camping)
Don't know how I managed before it. Even taking on the road to visit family (weird yes)
Go for it I say...but do some research on the various models available.
Donna
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #8

New York
Donna,
I too am considering the Kuhn pressure cooker....if I am to buy a gift for myself, why not the best? What size do you think is most useful?
Taking it while visiting or travelling was also an idea I had. We just returned from Mexico, had a blast, and spent a small fortune on food. It was good, but not all that unusual, stuff I can cook myself. And with a three year old, who wants to sit around restaurants?
A hotel with a kitchenette is all that is needed. And of course while camping, it would be nice to expand the menu...
Marjie
Old 04-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Quote:
Donna,
I too am considering the Kuhn pressure cooker....if I am to buy a gift for myself, why not the best? What size do you think is most useful?
Taking it while visiting or travelling was also an idea I had. We just returned from Mexico, had a blast, and spent a small fortune on food. It was good, but not all that unusual, stuff I can cook myself. And with a three year old, who wants to sit around restaurants?
A hotel with a kitchenette is all that is needed. And of course while camping, it would be nice to expand the menu...
Marjie
Marjie
I thought it was the best after my research....but in fact not much more price wise than ones that seemed inferior. Very difficult to buy one in Canada so I ordered from a wonderful company in the states called Pleasant Hill ( google them to see all their amazing products) and they were great. Got the 7 liter classic and it has been a perfect size. Remember you can cook less in a larger pot, but smaller pots limit the amount cooked always.
And strangely, big hopes that this one will travel to Mexico with us by the end of the year. It uses so little fuel of any kind to cook large amounts of food.
Think everyone should have one...especially with all fuels going up and up.
donna
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 5500
For those of you in Canada, you can get an excellent Langostina pressure cooker at Canadian Tire -- i have two sizes that i use regularly in the kitchen at home.

For a smaller version more suitable for camping, Mountain Equipment Coop carries a GSI pressure cooker that is a bit smaller capacity. Both are pretty reasonably priced, and quite a bit cheaper than the Kuhn ones, which you can find in specialty kitchen stores.

So long as you keep a steady heat under the pot, it doesnt matter what your heat source is -- allows you to make stew from start to finish in half an hour! chili in 15 minutes if you use canned beans, and risotto in under 10 minutes with no stirring! i find mine much more versatile than a slow cooker, and like the flavour and texture of the food better.
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 1990 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought a Fagor Stainless Steel 6 quart pressure cooker not long ago. It was on sale at Macy's and I didn't want to get a more expensive brand, as I didn't want to hear the husband say anything in case it ended up in the pile for our next yard sale! (. . . or ended up as a dog dish!)

I have been teaching myself how to cook in it, with the help of some great cook books checked out from the library.

This past weekend, I took it with us and cooked white rice in it on a coleman stove in 3 minutes! I don't think I'd want to cook with it inside the Scamp because of all the steam and condensation. The coleman stove brought the pot up to pressure very quickly, and then I turned it down lower for the 3 minutes of cooking time. I then let the pot do a "natural release" as we waited for the meat on the grill.

I have been very impressed with the pressure cooker. It has been getting regular use, at least 3-4 times per week!

I'm still working on adapting receipes that will please the family when out camping.

It does take a little getting use to cooking this way, for example you can't stir the food, or look at it while it is cooking!

Maggie
Maggie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
For a smaller version more suitable for camping, Mountain Equipment Coop carries a GSI pressure cooker that is a bit smaller capacity. Both are pretty reasonably priced, and quite a bit cheaper than the Kuhn ones, which you can find in specialty kitchen stores.
Here's a source for the GSI 3Liter -- Google is your friend!

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82051

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1227631540653
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Hey Donna! Post that cheesecake one......Yummy.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
It's common for smaller cruising boats to carry a pressure cooker. First of all, they often do not have an oven. Also, when you're far from stores, you tend to use lots of dried beans and grains, and to have to conserve on fuel.

Anyway, that's just building up to what I was really going to say, which is pressure cookers can easily bake bread (not just quick breads, but "regular" sandwich type bread) and cakes. They're quite good, the main difference being the round shape and the fact that you don't get quite the same crust.

I figured some people might like to bake bread while camping, and probably not that many of us have ovens in our eggs.

Raya

PS If anyone is interested, I can post recipes or links to them.

PPS There are some pressure cookers (namely the foreign ones) that have two stubby handles instead of the one stubby and one long. Maybe not quite as handy for handling, but better for stowing.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
One word of warning about pressure cookers is that if they are made out of alumnium don't use them on a gas stove (it says so right in the directions , but who reads those).I was canning some fish and instead of doing it inside the house I used the side burner on the bbq, everything was going fine until the pot fell off the bbq! it was hissing steam the jars inside were smashed, what happened was the aluminum bottom of the pot got really hot and the pressure inside pushed it out into a concave shape untill it rocked itself off the BBQ. I tossed the whole thing in the trash
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I own a 30 year old Mirro pressure cooker that is aluminum and it has never been used on anything other than a gas stove. It still works great. And, I have a new GSI hard anodized pressure cooker that is aluminum and is used only on a 2 burner Coleman stove. Nowhere in its instructions is there any caution about using it on a gas burner.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?c=4...mp;p=40500&
Old 11-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #18

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Before the fish incident my pressure cooker worked great, I liked to put ribs in the pot to soften up before the bbq.

I what I meant was don't put a cheap pressure cooker on a gas burner (see instructions 1 and 13)

1. Read all instructions.

2. Always check the vent pipe before use. Hold cover up to light and look through vent pipe to be certain it is clear.

3. Always check the air vent/cover lock to be sure it moves freely before use.

4. Do not fill pressure cooker over full. For soup, grains, and dry beans and peas which expand during cooking, do not fill cooker over full. Overfilling may cause a risk of clogging the vent pipe and developing excess pressure. See food preparation instructions.

5. Do not pressure cook applesauce, cranberries, rhubarb, cereals, pastas, dried soup mixes, or any dry beans and peas which are not listed on the chart on page 29. These foods tend to foam, froth, and sputter and may block the vent pipe, overpressure plug, and air vent/cover lock.

6. This appliance cooks under pressure. Improper use may result in scalding injury. Make certain pressure cooker is properly closed before operating; cover handle must be directly above the body handle. See “How To Use Instructions.”

7. Do not place the pressure cooker or attempt to pressure cook in a heated oven.

8. Extreme caution must be used when moving a pressure cooker containing hot liquids. Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs.

9. Do not open pressure cooker until internal pressure has been completely reduced, air vent/cover lock has dropped, and no steam escapes when the pressure regulator is removed. See “How To Use Instructions.”

10. Caution: To ensure safe operation and satisfactory performance, replace the overpressure plug every time you replace the sealing ring or sooner if it becomes hard, deformed, cracked, worn, or pitted. It is recommended that the sealing ring and overpressure plug be replaced at least every two years.

11. Close supervision is necessary when the pressure cooker is used near children. It is not recommended that children use the pressure cooker.

12. When normal operating pressure is reached, the pressure regulator will begin to rock. Gradually lower the heat to maintain a slow, steady rocking motion. If the pressure regulator is allowed to rock vigorously excess steam will escape, liquid will be evaporated, and food may scorch.

13. Caution: Do not use pressure cooker on an outdoor LP gas burner or gas range over 12,000 BTU’s.

14. Do not use this pressure cooker for other than intended use.

15. Do not use this pressure cooker for pressure frying with oil.

SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
PS If anyone is interested, I can post recipes or links to them.
Yes please. We had someone looking for Pressure Cooker Cookies recipe(s) a while back, don't think anyone was able to help at that time.
Pressure cooker cookies?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #20

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
that's good to know. it's exactly what I was thinking of doing.
My Mom just offered me her hardly used aluminum monster for
use at the lake.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote