With US Thanksgiving fast approaching, we thought of David and his love of life, and of cooking. He posted this recipe last year and said "here is a moist cake that will remind you of the traditional American pumpkin pie".
Table of Contents:
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/2 cups flour, all-purpose
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp each ground allspice, cloves and ginger
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/4 cups milk
1 Tbsp dark rum or 1/2 tsp rum extract
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
a grinding of fresh nutmeg
HERE'S HOW TO DO IT
For the Cake:
1. Combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, butter, molasses and egg, and beat until
2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat slowly just until the dry ingredients
3. Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 F
oven for 30 or 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes
4. Cool on a wire rack andf serve with rum sauce.
For the Rum Sauce:
1. Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add the milk and
2. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.
4. Serve warm.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
1. We found the cake dry and think the pumpkin should be increased to 1 1/2
2. We didn't particularly care for the rum sauce. In future we will use the
CHRISTMAS PUDDING SAUCE
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp corn starch
3. 2 cups water
4. 1 Tbsp rum (or substitute flavouring)
5. 1 Tbsp butter
Mix brown sugar and cornstarch,
Add water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened,
Remove from heat and add butter and rum.