Rice cooker not just for rice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Rice cooker not just for rice

I have recently started using my rice cooker for a lot more than rice. I have had a couple different sizes, for years, but had only used them for their original purpose, rice.I decided to start experimenting to see how many different dishes I could do in them. I wanted to see if it would be worthwhile to carry one in the Casita.

So far I have successfully made, buffalo chicken wings, one pot Spaghetti and meatballs, one pot macaroni and cheese, chocolate cake, omelets, hash brown egg and cheese dish, homemade biscuits and even a fried egg to go with them, boiled eggs, steamed veggies, steel cut oats, grits, and rice, of course.

Who knew it is such a versatile appliance!?! Today, I think I will try a loaf of bread, just to see if I can. I think the possibilities might be endless.
Just another idea for a multi purpose item for your little trailer. As long as you have electric, you can make a huge variety of food, with easy clean up.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
I have recently started using my rice cooker for a lot more than rice. I have had a couple different sizes, for years, but had only used them for their original purpose, rice.I decided to start experimenting to see how many different dishes I could do in them. I wanted to see if it would be worthwhile to carry one in the Casita.

So far I have successfully made, buffalo chicken wings, one pot Spaghetti and meatballs, one pot macaroni and cheese, chocolate cake, omelets, hash brown egg and cheese dish, homemade biscuits and even a fried egg to go with them, boiled eggs, steamed veggies, steel cut oats, grits, and rice, of course.

Who knew it is such a versatile appliance!?! Today, I think I will try a loaf of bread, just to see if I can. I think the possibilities might be endless.
Just another idea for a multi purpose item for your little trailer. As long as you have electric, you can make a huge variety of food, with easy clean up.

I don't where to find an reasonably priced current pole or bush to electric appliances.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Interesting Terry, never knew they were that versatile.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Rice cookers are great! I cook oatmeal in mine often and have also made banana bread (had to run it through the cook cycle twice). I'm betting you could do a yeast bread as well - let us know how it turns out
Old 05-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
What temperature do most rice cookers cook at? Or do they have thermostats for the user to set a temp? Just wondering... I've never used one or even looked closely at one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:35 AM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I love my rice cooker but have never cooked anything but rice n it. Of course from You Tube I knew you could steam vegies n one, or throw in smallish chunks of meat atop the rice before starting the cook cycle... does the banana bread come out easily? I would be afraid of breads sticking. I have bought another Hawkins 1.5 liter pressure cooker for my forthcoming egg kitchen, (plan was just to trial the frst one bought and then pack it up n my camping gear but I love it and usei t constantly now)- I will grab another rice cooker (havetwo 3 cup cookers now) think I will start trying to cook other stuff in it. Wheatena. I love wheatena and cooking it first thing in the morning is a pain.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
I am very fond of my rice cooker, but I regret that I haven't used it for rice in a couple years. It has become a slow cooker first, and it's other functions are neglected. Mine is a Sanyo with fuzzy logic. If you don't know what that is, read this: Fuzzy Logic and Rice Cookers - How Rice Cookers Work | HowStuffWorks
Think of it as an AI on your kitchen counter.

I wanted to see if I could run it by means of my 800 watt inverter on my 12v system. NO WAY. I would need at least a 1500 watt inverter with very heavy cables and fuse. Too expensive for chicken Alfredo. Then I wondered, could I run a toaster? NO. Too much power draw on 12 volts. It turns out that a microwave would be the most practical appliance to run on the system, but even that would be costly for the benefit I might gain.

So, I give a glance of longing to my appliances when I leave for 5 months of full-timing, and I look forward to having them when I return. Especially the rice cooker that I forget is a rice cooker.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #8

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
Also yummy... fresh sliced apples, a little water, some cinnamon. a sprinkle of sugar if you wish. applesauce :-)
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #9

Mitzi, the banana bread slips right out and clean up is a breeze. Cakes do beautifully as well.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #10

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Terry, what brand of rice cooker do you have?
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:16 AM   #11

Name: Kenji
Arizona
Registry
This is my absolute favorite cooking appliance ever.
MaxBurton 12v

I have made everything imaginable in this. I use it everyday even in a full stick home using an ATX server power supply. Think portable power converter that does over 80 amps at 12v. Overkill.

Anyway this is based on a Korean rice cooker but without any fuzzy logic. Instead it has selectable temperature from 100 to 350 in 25 degree increments.
It will stay on for as long as you leave it that way without any kind of time out.

It makes all manor of soups, pastas, roasts, meatloaf, stews, frozen foods... Almost anything really.
Fill it up with oil and put it on 350 and you can even deep fry small amounts of food at a time. I say small because it is only 150 watts and the oil will drop in temp.

It can basically make anything though and it will do it right off of solar or your batteries. I also use it in my car without the trailer while traveling. Nothing beats throwing in some cheap ingredients and pulling over for a hot meal at a rest area or a walmart. Saves a LOT of money where you might otherwise end up eating fast food, and you get to eat healthy food too.

I've used mine an unreasonable amount for a 12v item. I have worn almost all of the nonstick off of it, and had to put a new relay in it too. I used a Suzuki relay from a motorcycle that was much higher rated than the original and it's been going strong since. Even if I didn't know how to repair electronics though, I would have bought a new one in a heartbeat.

I picked mine up for much less than what it is currently on Amazon at a local truck stop.

I bet you will love this thing too if you get one. The removable cooking dish and the selectable temps make this MUCH better than any other 12v oven.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:29 AM   #12

Janisg, I have a large Sanyo fuzzy logic and 3 cup and 6 cup cheap, cook/warm Black and Decker. Have made the same kinds of food in both types.

The key to the basic ones is to push the cook button, wait 5 minutes after it goes to warm, then push cook again. You may have to do this one or more times, depending on what you are cooking. Took me 3 cycles to bake a little cake.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #13

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
Kenji,
That is one heck of a recommendation!
I think I could make that work with my solar power on a good, sunny day.
It's now on my wish list. Thanks for the good lead.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #14

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Kenji: are you talking about the Max Burton 6905 Digital 12 Volt Portable Lunch Box Stove to Go? or another product?
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #15

Name: Kenji
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Kenji: are you talking about the Max Burton 6905 Digital 12 Volt Portable Lunch Box Stove to Go? or another product?
That's correct. I linked to it on Amazon. The 6905 Digital stove to go is the item I am talking about. I love this thing.

Edit;
Are Amazon affiliate links allowed here?
If so I can add it through that too. I get a small percentage of anything you buy there with no extra cost to you. It's a cool way to make some extra money while on the road for anyone who has not heard of it. I only refer to things such as this 12v oven that I use and love.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #16

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Terry- Janet- Anyone else- My Rival 3 cup rice cooker has Cook, & Warm, functions. This morning I decided to trial Strawberry & Banana bread, using a black banana & strawberry muffin mix. The rice cooker is clicking over to Warm every 2-3 minutes. Just thought I would tell the world not to trial this unless you have a programmable thermostat. Off now to look for those toaster oven cake pans I bought 4 years ago.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #17

Mitzi, after about 5 min., you click it on again. Keep clicking it on after a few minutes on warm. Probably will take 3 cycles.

It is like cycling the heat on other appliances, only you do it manually.

I have made banana bread and chocolate cake in my tiny 1.5 cup Black and Decker.

Fuzzy Logic is far easier, but if a simple cook/warm cooker is all you have, with no oven available, it is an option.

The other day, I baked a loaf of yeast bread in my larger one. It browned nicely on the bottom. I flipped it over, after it was mostly done, to get some color on the top. It was a round loaf. The sides did not get browned, but it cut and tasted like a regular loaf of bread.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
rice cook

rice cook sorry I could not help my self .
Attached Thumbnails
11407086_869302926452880_2450296080871326581_n.jpg  
Old 05-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #19

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Kenji - how do you plug in your Burton rice cooker in the trailer? Not sure how to plug it in on my Scamp.
Thanks.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #20

Name: Echo
Trailer: SCAMP
Wisconsin
I also use my waffle iron for cooking cinnamon rolls from a can, very fast and the kids love them. I wonder if the rice cooker would be better than my Crock Pot that stays in my camper?
Echo 78 is offline   Reply With Quote