Roastin a Hen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Earlier in the week when I came out to my shop the thermometer said -22. Better find a nice warm project for today . Now I had my eye on a nice fat roastin hen for some time now. So built a fire in my 1922 wood range and sliced of about 7 or 9 slices of homemade souredough bread cut it into squares and put on the stove to toast . Put 1 cup water and ¼ stick butter in an old pan along with a three fingered pinch of dried celery, 3 fingers of sage 2 fingers salt and pepper heated that up and mixed it with toasted bread crumbs prepared the bird and salted it all over stuffed the bread in the cavity where the inards were put it in a covered roastin pan along with 3 cups water. Opened all drafts Now I was occupied till just after noon with basting the hen and adding wood to the fire. At this time I ventured to the root cellar for a few nice smaller Yukon Gold spuds , washed them and put em in the pan then I commenced to bastin and feeding again. About an hour before supper I mixed up a batch of Buttermilk biskits . I opened a jar of green beans and slivered almonds and put it in the roaster. Also a quart of mulled cider in the oven , closed the damper and sat there and watched that bird and the biskits turn a golden brown Next poured off the juice added about 4 spoons flour some salt pepper a little basil and onion and I had my yeller gravy. Now that’s a way to spend a cold Minnesota day.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yumm....yum, yum...sounds GREAT
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
That does not sound bad for a wet and wolly Oregon day. We loose electrical power every winter for bit 1to5 days My wood stove comes in handy. and the dutch oven with the legs sawed off works great on top. I do not have to trudge up the hill to the scamp . Pinto beans and home made tortillas remind me off summer to come. Stay warm
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Roasted Duck, baked potatoes and cabbage caserole for dinner to night..."Watch your head" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote