RV ovens - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 11:04 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
RV ovens

I have heard some stories about RV ovens. My new camper has an oven and when I try it out I think I will bake gingerbread pudding cake. The huge plus for these are that they heat up perfectly in the microwave.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...ng-cake-recipe

Here is a batch I made in the house oven.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200413_15_51_31_Rich.jpg  
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:55 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I lived full-time in a larger travel trailer some decades ago. It had an oven, which I used regularly. They’re a bit fussy because they’re so small and the burner is so close to your food. One trick is to use a small pizza stone to even out the temperature and keep the bottom from burning.

Homemade biscuits and fresh cinnamon rolls... priceless!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #3

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I lived full-time in a larger travel trailer some decades ago. It had an oven, which I used regularly. They’re a bit fussy because they’re so small and the burner is so close to your food. One trick is to use a small pizza stone to even out the temperature and keep the bottom from burning.

Homemade biscuits and fresh cinnamon rolls... priceless!
I had heard about the pizza stone. I think I will order one today. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Registry
We use ours but mostly just for heating frozen foods and making meatloaf. No delicate baking yet.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I opted to forego the RV range, and when I did my custom cabinetry I added a marine range, the Dickinson Caribbean. BTW, I got it for a heck of a lot less than advertised on their site. We absolutely love this thing, the stovetop burners are first rate, both going from a wee simmer to boiling water fast. The oven works great too. It has a broiler we have used, which works okay, but not as good as an electric one which is way hotter. Electronic ignition for all burners is great, plus it is constructed of top notch stainless steel.

For us, well worth the investment. My wife loves it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00218.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	134242

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00264.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	134243
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Casitas don't have ovens. Not even offered as an option. But I do like having my Cuisinart Toaster Oven. Even though it's just something else to schlog around, I don't mind because it is very handy and a true multi-tasking appliance, especially for small trailers without the luxury of a built-in oven. They do require electric to operate, so it might not be the first choice for boondockers, but we rarely ever camp without full hook-ups, so it works well for us.
It does emit a lot of heat when it's running, so we usually set it up outside on the "wheel well table" that I made from a WearEver "full sheet" baking tray. It's handy because it's right next to the outside convenience outlet. Works for us anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
New Convection Oven.JPG   Vacation2018 025 (Medium).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #7

Name: crikkle
Trailer: In the market
New York
I have used a tile but it cracked 1st time using the tile in preheating the oven, Home depot has a 13" round pizza stone for 13 bucks and fits perfectly. They are used for grills and such and can handle heat to 500 degrees.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I've heard it said that the main reason Jon Vermilye moved up to the larger Escape is because it had an oven for his blueberry pies.
Nah, really?

Walt
Old 09-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #9

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Nostalgia BST3AQ Retro 3-in-1 Toaster Oven, that's great! I bought this for my cabin in the mountains, as I do not have a stove there. I was cooking using microwave, griddles, the open fire pit, and an electric hot plate. This 3 in 1 toaster item is awesome. You can consult here: https://vogeltalksrving.com/best-toa...r-rv/#more-873 where I have consulted for buying this oven.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #10

Massachusetts
Granite tile

Instead of a pizza stone I got a granite tile 12" X 12" for $3.00. For 3 bucks I have to give it a try. The size seems to be perfect for this size oven. I made cornbread today. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20201218_13_41_34_Rich.jpg  
Old 12-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I saw this on Van City Van Life (you tube). He bakes using a deep Cast Iron frying pan and skillet set on his burner top. He heats the skillet and frying pan first then places the food inside the frying pan and puts the skillet on top. Lodge sells a 10.5" combo cooker set and Cabela's sells a 12" set of pans. He does pizzas, cinnamon buns, muffins, cupcakes and more. Even though heavy they takes up a lot less space than an oven in tight spaces, and both pans can be used for other things.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Cooker-...s%2C173&sr=8-3
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #12

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
That's a nice set. I'm surprised I've never seen it before. Thanks for the tip.

Walt
Old 12-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
In scouts when we made pizza on camp outs we used a Dutch oven upside down. We made the pizza on the underside of the lid. Lifted the oven off the lid with a magnet used to hold a flashing yellow light on a pickup roof. Hole in the center with a 3/8 X 6” eyebolt and a pair or welding gloves. 12 inch oven: 9 briquettes on the bottom under the lid suspended by 3 pieces of 2 inch copper pipe. 15 on the top ( bottom of the dutch oven.)
IowA Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
We purchased a Casita with the optional micro/convection oven and have been second guessing that decision ever since. It uses a lot of space that could be better used for storage.

I'd like to hear more about stove top baking ideas but with a bit more detail. Stove top baking with a cast iron skillet combo sounds interesting and would love to hear if others have experimented with the technique.

Thanks.
DaveB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #15

Name: Ryann
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB. View Post
We purchased a Casita with the optional micro/convection oven and have been second guessing that decision ever since. It uses a lot of space that could be better used for storage.

I'd like to hear more about stove top baking ideas but with a bit more detail. Stove top baking with a cast iron skillet combo sounds interesting and would love to hear if others have experimented with the technique.

Thanks.
We use an omnia oven when we don't cook on the campfire. https://www.amazon.com/Omnia-Oven-st...2371375&sr=8-1

It is semi-small, but ample for two people. Mainly used for vegetables or cakes
miarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Wink

LOL. I use to know this guy who wrote thrillers (very successful) and lived on a sailboat. He'd take the boat out for multiway trips. Whenever the wind died, he'd bake bread and muffins.

He looked a lot like Thomas C.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I've heard it said that the main reason Jon Vermilye moved up to the larger Escape is because it had an oven for his blueberry pies.
Nah, really?

Walt
Well, not the only reason, but I sure got tired of trying to make blueberry pies in a Dutch oven!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:24 AM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Well, not the only reason, but I sure got tired of trying to make blueberry pies in a Dutch oven!

But they’ve always been amazing 🤩
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Blueberries are my favourite fruit and your yummy pies only added to this feeling. [emoji39]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:58 PM   #20

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
I use an Airbake cookie sheet under my pans in the oven. It works great, not heavy, easy to store! When we had the Casita my favorite way to bake was with an Omnia Oven.

Happy Cooking!
Kathie

PS Gingerbread Pudding cake sound wonderful!

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote