Seasoning a new dutch oven - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I don't think room temp is a big deal. I think they're saying don't do what I did many years ago: I forgot my cast iron pan on the stove and when I remembered it was actually so hot it was glowing. I grabbed it off the stove and stuck it in the sink and ran cold water over it to cool it down...CRACK!!!!!! It was immediate! So I was stupid, in my 20's, what can I say?

Quote:
Our dutch oven worked great. I followed the directions for burning off the wax coating. then scrubbed it clean and dried it on low heat. I used Olive Oil to season. There was a website and I will have to see if I can find it again that listed all the smoke points of different oils. It was recommended to use oil with a high smoke point and to season at high temperature. Olive Oil has a high smoke point. I ended up doing 2 full coats and heating, the first didn't seem to set in certain spots. The 2nd turned out good.

I do have another question though I read several places that said that your cast iron should be pre-heated. So I did pre-heat and everything turned out fine. But I have also seen warnings to not put cold liquid in/on heated cast iron? We made stuffed peppers, so tomato paste is used and it was at room temp. Could we have put all the food in the dutch oven and then put it on the coals? Or should we pre-heat both the oven and the ingredients?
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #22

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Lars,
Don't worry about preheating unless a recipe calls for something like browning meat as a first step. I've cooked at several dutch oven gatherings (DOGS) with 50+ others cooking and nobody was preheating their pots.
Tom Trostel
Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #23

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Most of the time pre-heating is not required. When I do breads or when I want to speed things along, I do the standard practice of preheating the lid while preparing the ingredients in the dutch.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote