Short trip meal ideas, no electric - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm a fan of aluminum foil cooking. Wrap a bagel with some sliced sausage & cheese, wrap and toast on fire or grill. Meat & diced potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc., wrap and cook on fire or grill. Commonly called a hobo dinner.

For short trips one can combine and wrap at home, hobo dinners can be wrapped at home and frozen. Or ingredients can be cut up at home and combined on the foil just before cooking.

Foil is the pot and the plate, not much to clean up after if the prep is done at home.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I like the foil supper idea, too, especially with prepping at home. I did want a fire or charcoal so just cooking on the propane stove did not appeal to me. (I've done that.) What I ended up doing was using my Dutch oven with a pan inside to bake a quiche which made dinner and breakfast- but I didn't enjoy it that much the next day so next time I'd try something different.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Camp meals can be fun, tasty and good for you. There was a cook book we got a hold of several years ago, well a lot of years ago. That cook book has a list of what I call sack meals you can get at the grocery store. The next column a list of tinned meats. Then there was spices and other flavorings which included soup mixes. The idea is to take one from each column.
I use a ceramic lined skillet as my primary cooking pan. No stick and easy to clean.
Breakfasts can be fun too. Depending on they type of cooking implements you carry. Simple using my ceramic lined griddle, there's eggs and fried bread (makes toast), or pancakes. Hot water and instant oat meal to which you can add raisins and or nuts. We also carry three pie irons to be uses over a camp stove, charcoal, or an open fire. The round one makes a very nice camp version of an egg McMuffin. One is a waffle iron, waffles cooked over an open fire. The other is a double square, a square version of an egg McMuffin two at a time.

The options and variations are unlimited.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #24

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
PeanutButter sandwiches and rum. A minimalist menu from my sailing days, but works for RVing too.
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
PeanutButter sandwiches and rum. A minimalist menu from my sailing days, but works for RVing too.
Or Clif bars, Tang, and vodka.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
When traveling and i want a quick meal I just use my frying pan (its a deep one) on the propane stove and wipe up a stir fry - small package of chicken strips, noodles and a small package of mixed veggies (found in the packaged salad department) all done in five minutes - one pot to wash. Soya sauce and sesame seeds are stock pantry items in my trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #27

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post
Or Clif bars, Tang, and vodka.
A health nut, eh!
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #28

Name: T
Trailer: Past Scamp Owner
Coastal Carolinas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
A health nut, eh!

Probably organic vodka.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Tonya L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #29

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Cobb grill... just saying! I've made some amazing meals over 10 briquettes. Cleanup was a snap.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #30

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
I am not interested (at the moment) in gourmet cooking in my little U-Haul, but I do want to eat something tasty, so I read a number of blogs and recipe books by backpackers and took some of their advice.

The Bear Creek Country Kitchen soups and chills can be divided up into smaller portions and then you just need to boil water. Most of the time is spent off the heat letting it cook in the hot water. I have to say that I really loved the macaroni and cheese, and am looking forward to some of the other ones.

I make up yoghurt, fruit, and granola cups in the summer time. Hot instant oatmeal in the colder weather. Other things start out frozen and then get eaten after they have thawed, like brownies or chocolate chip cookies.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #31

Name: LucyKay
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Cooking on the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Anyone read the book "Manifold Destiny" about cooking on the engine while you drive. Long out of print and hard to find at a reasonable price, but a few years ago our son found me a copy. Recipes like cod supreme, halibut with fennel, veal scallopine, eggs-on cheese pie, provolone potatoes, and a bunch of others. Even tells how many miles to drive for cook time. Pull into camp and your meal is ready. EDIT; just looked on ebay, several copies for $15 or less, a few years ago they were much higher priced.
Lol, lol, lol ha ha ha! Love it. Thanks for the best laugh. My husband said "you've never heard of it" That's how he and friends got the idea of putting limburger cheese on the manifold of the night watchmans car back when he was in high school.
KayD. is offline   Reply With Quote