Small Hawkins Pressure Cooker - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Small Hawkins Pressure Cooker

Not sure where to post this so it would get the most traffic. I bought a 1.5 liter pressure cooker off Amazon. The make them for the Indian market. They have a different sealing technique and it doesn't stress the gasket. Also there is a "safety valve" made of pot metal, that melts in the event it runs dry/pressure builds to exploding levels. I have a comment somewhere on the Hawkins website about how much I like this.. What is amusing to me is all the commentators with Indian names LOVED using this and all the Americans (with the exception of one, a guy who had NO pressure cooker experience at all and bought it for camping trips) hated it. So far I have cooked lamb for scotch broth, split pea soup and dried black beans in it. Enough to serve 2 with little leftover
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If the safety valve melts, can be be replaced? Or do you then throw away the cooker?

My wife would never own a pressure cooker until she spotted the electric Instant Pot, and asked me to buy her one for Christmas a year ago. She likes using it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
I just purchased a "new" little, old 3 qt. PC from ebay. It is electric, but it is not digital, so it is a lot smaller in over all size than a digital, but has a larger capacity. It was made by Presto in the 70s. It is called a Weecookerie.

Before purchasing, I made certain replace parts are all available. Replaced the gasket and fuse immediately. That is the beauty of Presto.

I have the electric 6 qt. also, but the 3 is more Casita friendly, especially when it is just the two of use. Good for sides when group camping.

I always carry a non electric on "just in case".
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #4

Florida
Mike- yes you can buy extra safety valves. I bought an extra valve, and an extra gasket when I bought the Hawkins. BTW the company has been around almost 50 years, I don't know why Google has never brought it up for me. Never found it till my dear son law suggesting searching on Amazon! Leur voila'!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
GSI Camping Pressure Cooker

Mitzi:
I still have and have used my camping GSI Hard Anodized 3.3L Pressure Cooker for a bunch of years and also am a real fan.
<http://www.gleasoncamping.com/hardanodizedextremepressurecooker.aspx>
Even at 3.3L, I find it somewhat small. The newer GSI Halulite is built differently and is 2.7L, but that's close to the same capacity. Their safety systems are slightly different but neither use destructive methods and can be reused without replacing parts in the case of an accidental overpressure. In mine, any higher pressure would slowly push open the lid and pressure would escape around the rim. It's never happened.
At home, I use my Presto Stovetop and my electric Cuisinart units with great success. Like Crockpots, they make great one pot meals, but are also handy for other things. Each June, for our church, we make up 5 dozen hard boiled eggs in the electric pressure cooker in 4 batches which take just over an hour for all, about 20min for each 15 eggs. When camping, stews, chilli, ribs, and spaghetti sauces are most common.
Enjoy yours.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #6

Florida
We need a LIKE button in here
Old 04-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #7

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
BIG fan of pressure cookers! And I also do a lot of pressure canned meals-in-jars that we like to take in the camper!
Talk about easy peasy!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:49 AM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Small Hawkins Pressure Cooker

A timely post for me, so thank you.

I got the instant pot almost a year ago, and use it several times a week. I am seriously thinking about getting a small, stovetop pressure cooker for my trailer. I usually boondock, so an electric PC isn't practical for me. But ... I can also use the stovetop PC at home to augment my IP.

I'm getting ready for winter camping & I'm hoping this will be a valuable addition to my galley.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #9

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
BIG fan of pressure cookers! And I also do a lot of pressure canned meals-in-jars that we like to take in the camper!
Talk about easy peasy!
Say more!!! From a new, smitten InstaPot owner.

--Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Say more!!! From a new, smitten InstaPot owner.

--Anne
From the makers of the canning jars Ball and Kerr brands...link to their instructions for DIY safe pressure cooker canning. They wrote it out step by step
https://www.freshpreserving.com/pressure-canning.html
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:17 AM   #11

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Not sure where to post this so it would get the most traffic. I bought a 1.5 liter pressure cooker off Amazon. The make them for the Indian market. They have a different sealing technique and it doesn't stress the gasket. Also there is a "safety valve" made of pot metal, that melts in the event it runs dry/pressure builds to exploding levels. I have a comment somewhere on the Hawkins website about how much I like this.. What is amusing to me is all the commentators with Indian names LOVED using this and all the Americans (with the exception of one, a guy who had NO pressure cooker experience at all and bought it for camping trips) hated it. So far I have cooked lamb for scotch broth, split pea soup and dried black beans in it. Enough to serve 2 with little leftover

My first experiment was to try cooking something that most everyone who cooks is familiar with doing, making rice.

My recipe was 1 cup of Jasmine rice and 1.5 cups of water.

I was using a small portable dual fuel cook top with a can of butane fuel.

Place rice and water into the pot and seal the lid in place.
Turn the heat up fairly high until the knob starts rocking. (less than 2 minutes)
Turn the heat down to low and let it rock for 1 more minute then shut the heat off
Let it sit with the lid on around 8 minutes or so for the pressure to drop naturally, check to make sure the pressure is down, then open the lid.

Result, perfectly cooked, fluffy, rice that took very little fuel to make, hardly any time spent pot watching and the cooking process releases only a small amount of moisture into the air.

The 2 liter size is sufficient for meals for 2 people.

There is a youtube channel with lots of different recipes done in the 1.5 liter Hawkins. Cooking for one https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnI...BQeTOuw/videos
Old 02-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We bought an 8 quart IP for the house and a 6 quart one for the camper. We also got an air fryer for Christmas, so we had both along for our trip to Padre Island. We eat healthier and tastier meals since we got those and have not used our oven since then, except for a guest at Thanksgiving who needed it.

CindyL
Old 08-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #13

Name: Art
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
little scary

I made the mistake of trying to use a pressure cooker with the weight that jiggles on top outside the camper one time. The wind interfered with the jiggling action. Since I was cooking on propane, I didn't realilze how hot the thing was since the weight wasn't jiggling as normal inside out of the elements. Long story short, I almost blew the thing up. Now I just use dutch ovens when possible out camping.
ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae6black View Post
I made the mistake of trying to use a pressure cooker with the weight that jiggles on top outside the camper one time. The wind interfered with the jiggling action. Since I was cooking on propane, I didn't realilze how hot the thing was since the weight wasn't jiggling as normal inside out of the elements. Long story short, I almost blew the thing up. Now I just use dutch ovens when possible out camping.
That's just merely operator error. Certainly not a fault of the pressure cooker. Every single one of them made will say to turn the heat down once the weight starts jiggling. Just keep it high enough to maintain the "chatter" of the weight. And they also say to never leave it unattended as well when in use.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Or use the type that doesn't have the jiggling weight piece. Then you won't have a loss of water either. You can use it inside without venting steam continuously as you cook.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #16

Oregon
The Hawkins unit that started this thread does not have an issue with the weight coming loose. It can be removed but it takes a good tug to get it off.

When I cook outside I am using a stove with a wind shield around it. If I did not do that then the wind would play heck with the flames on the burner.

Arrange your outdoor kitchen set up so that the wind is not interfering with your cooker.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #17

Name: Art
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Point I was trying to make

The point I was trying to make is that while a pressure cooker of this type is awesome for inside applications, they can be a bit temperamental outside. In the incidence I referenced above, the weight never jiggled. The wind interfered with that. I still use pressure cookers all the time, I have 4 of them. I just don't use them outside anymore. Besides, there's something about dutch oven cooking that just seems to go with camping.
ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #18

Name: mikeh53
Trailer: 69 Boler
Indiana
Pressure canned... Stuff!

I want to second something with that was said about using pre-pressure cooked meals in jars.

My wife does this a lot even for use at home.

There are just two of us at home now,

She has found that pressure cooked meals in pint jars are often plenty for the two of us

For instance... I love pinto beans but when she makes me a pot I have to eat beans lunch and dinner for a week and end up being sick of them by the end of the week

We have found that if you put a 20 pound bag of raw pintos and a 5 gallon bucket and soak them overnight in water the next morning they’re all swollen up and can be placed into pint Jars if you prefer quorts if you have more folks to feed

Fill the water up to the neck add a teaspoon of salt put them in Pressure cleaner for an But time prescribed by your particular Pressure canner
depending on what size jar are you’re using.

Now you have a couple of cases of jars of wonderful soft soupy flavorful pintos that can be use for tacos as a side dish, In addition to In addition to soup Or stew etc. Great just warmed up in the microwave and eat and out of the jar

You can make lots of things like this.

That way the wife doesn’t have to do much to prepare meals on the road it’s already done. (After all it’s her vacation to ��
mikeh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #19

Name: Cal
Trailer: Awaiting van purchase.
London
I have the same 1.5 litre model and am very impressed with the quality and size.

There is a photo in Google Images of this cooker being supported over a few candles to cook.

This may be very beneficial if one's stove fuel runs out and hot food or water is needed!
AeroNautiCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroNautiCal View Post
There is a photo in Google Images of this cooker being supported over a few candles to cook.

You can save others the trouble of searching, if you post a link.