Soda Streaming - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Soda Streaming

I've just bought a SodaStream for my house, and believe it will be perfect for my trailer. Lightweight (though tall), no electricity - just a canister of CO2, and each bottle of flavoring (from cola to tonic to mixers to Crystal Lite) makes the equivalent of 50-12 oz. cans of soda. I don't drink Coke, so I can't comment, but the tonic, passion fruit/mango and pear flavors are great! The CO2 is expensive, but lasts forever. I've gone through three bottles of flavoring since I bought the machine, and the CO2 level hasn't budged. Much less cumbersome than carrying cases of cokes.

There are differet styles, but here's one on Amazon:
Amazon.com: SodaStream Source Metal Starter Kit, Black: Kitchen & Dining
Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe they use Sucralose, an artificial ingredient.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #3

Virginia
You're right, some of the diet stuff uses sucralose, but there's a line of flavors that uses no artificial anything - Sparkiling Naturals - and a line of stevia-sweetened flavors, too. The Cooking Light line uses fructose.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I have a soda stream and love it. Have never taken it camping but when we go there is 8 or more of us. Next time we got just the 2 of us I will be taking it,great for 2 but more than that cant keep enough cold water or ice.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #5

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
Texas
I've been contemplating getting one myself
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #6

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I've been thinking about getting one for the last 6 months or so
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When they come up with one for dark beer... I'll consider getting one too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When they come up with one for dark beer... I'll consider getting one too.

Here, here, Donna!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Can a person use the machine to re-carbonate a partial bottle of soda that has gone flat? My wife buys the small bottles because we don't drink enough to get value out of a 2-liter bottle before it goes flat. Does it work ok to pour the leftover, flat soda into the special 1-liter bottle and re-carbonate it? Do you have to fill the bottle for the machine to work?

Donna, maybe you can pour the beer into the special bottle (or, I see that some take a glass carafe) and carbonate it, too?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #10

Virginia
Mike - the directions say not to flavor the water before carbonating. I made that mistake, and every bit of the stuff fizzed out of the bottle, so maybe not such a good idea. But you could make smaller bottles (0.5L) of the soda flavored drink and not waste a big bottle.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Deborah, thanks. I've just spent the last hour and a half reading up on these gizmos. I never paid much attention to them before, but my interest was piqued. It appears that the big advantages are space savings, ability to create new flavors, and ability to vary carbonation level. And in some instances there can be some cost savings, but not always.

Donna, I found something that might be the thing for your beer: Amazon.com: Mastrad A01900 Purefizz Soda Maker: Kitchen Aprons: Home & Kitchen
The Mastrad Purefizz is supposed to carbonate any beverage. It has a pressure release that is supposed to bleed off excess pressure without losing liquid. Pour the liquid into the container, carbonate, then pour into a glass and drink.

Another one I found is called Fizz Giz: http://www.fizzgiz.com/ It is another one that would carbonate any drink, but one would have to pour the drink into a soda bottle so the special cap will fit.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #12

Virginia
You're welcome, Mike. I don't think there's any cost savings, but I live in a third floor 550 ft2 walk-up, so carrying the small flavor bottles is way more attractive than carrying cases or liters. Same for the TT - no wasted space and they weigh much less than their equivalents.

The Mastrad looks good, but those disposable cartridges bother me. The SodaStram cartridges can be exchanged, and there's also an expensive refillable CO2 bottle available. The refills would be cheaper, but the hassle of finding a place to do it makes me hesitate purchasing one.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #13

Name: Angela
Trailer: 1981 Burro
Texas
LOVE my Sodastream! On most days, I have 1-2 liters of Carbonated water a day. Haven't had to refill...& I think it's been maybe 2 months already. I used filtered water from my Berkey, & the water tastes GREAT, especially cold & carbonated. Almost as good as an ice cold beer and WAY better than any soda pop. Definitely taking mine for our week-long trip in six weeks!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #14

Name: Angela
Trailer: 1981 Burro
Texas
Oh, and BTW, I think Target stores will exchange your empty bottle for $15. (Haven't had to exchange yet, so not absolutely certain.)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Seems like they are rather expensive, 3 refills that will make 48 x12 oz cans costs $54 plus you have to buy the bottles and gas refills? My math indicates over $2/per can or $24 for a 12 pack which normally sells for $4 at the store. Something does not add up!!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #16

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
California
I have an old Sodamistic machine that was given to me over 20 years ago... I remember I used to be able to buy the syrup and special bottles for it back then. I wonder if it's anything like the Sodastream you guys are talking about. Until I saw this thread, I had never even given it a thought about taking it camping, but if I can still get the CO2 cartridge refilled and get some new bottles for it, it might be worth considering! Just did a quick check, and apparently Sodamistic is still in business and they look like they deal with Sodastream cylinders as well. Here's their link for anyone who's interested: Sodamistic - Home
Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
DBH

Name: Greg
Trailer: '76 Trillium
Ontario
Since we're all tinkerers here anyways... It's an easy enough process to DIY.

I used to do a lot of homebrewing so I had everything on hand, but the initial layout for everything would be in the neighbourhood of $100 and you can refill a 5 lb tank for about $12. One 5 lb tank lasts us over a year and we go through a liter or two every day - way cheaper than getting locked into a proprietary SodaStream cartridge system.

Here's one version written out although home brewing stores have much better connectors than bicycle valves.

https://blog.etsy.com/en/2011/how-tu...seltzer-maker/
Attached Thumbnails
Lifehacker's Soda Setup.jpg  
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #18

Virginia
Bed Bath and Beyond does the $15 exchange, too.

I like it, because I live in a 550 ft2 condo - and it's a third floor walk-up. Between lugging heavy soda and finding a place to store it, the SodaStream won me over. Even though I know it possibly costs more, it's worth it to me. And the CO2 bottles fill about 60 liters, so a quarter a liter plus a little for flavoring isn't that bad.

It also keeps a bunch of cans and bottles out of land fills.