Spicey Sesame Pasta - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2003, 08:44 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Spicey Sesame Pasta

Guys excuse my spelling again, I have been making this recipe for about 10 years, it is adjustable as to "heat" for different taste buds. I make it slightly different each time , never had a bad batch yet.
1-2 Lbs twisty pasta cooked
chopped green onions,tail and all(1-2 bunches)
chopped cilantro (about 1 bunch)
Soy Sauce (to taste, abt 1/4 -1 cup)
Teriyaki Sauce(to taste abt 1/2 - 1 cup)
Olive Oil (a little.1/8 cup)
Chopped/crushed Garlic
Crushed red Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Sesame Oil (abt 1/4 cup +-)
Sesame seeds (abt 1 oz)
Mix all in a bowl, serve.
I have also found the order you put the ingredients in affects the taste, try different orders.
I have found the organic Celantro to have a better taste over the years, but any fresh will do.
With the onions, garlic, and celantro in it this is a tasty dish, but not a real breath enhancer. I recomend serving it to your daughter right before a date.
Serve warm or cold

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:10 AM   #2

Yum, Charlie ... printed this one out for Pam!

Old 03-19-2003, 10:26 AM   #3

Charles;
After she eats it if you plan any romance you better eat a plateful yourself. Serious Garlic/onion combination. For about a day after even my clothes smell of onion/garlic after wearing a few minutes. Even Pepperment soap doesn't cut the smell. But the taste is worth it. Just get the entire group to eat some then it won't matter. I just wish I could breath some thru the phone to the sales callers in the evening.
Smiles and enjoy

Old 03-20-2003, 06:52 AM   #4

Recipe

Charlie,

That sounds like a most interesting recipe. Coupla questions...

•1/18th cup of o/o?

•no heating/cooking of mixture to blend ingredients?

•what is "twisty pasta"?

Thanks for some good ideas!

Old 03-20-2003, 08:25 AM   #5

Robert:
Sorry, a typo, it should be abt 1/8 cup olive oil to taste,some days I go heavy on any one or the other of the ingredients so play with amounts to see what your taste buds like.
"Twisty Pasta" was the best term I could come up with for any of the many varieties of pasta that swirl, twist , or otherwise have a shape other than streight when in the box. Shells is one of them I use a lot. The larger surface area seems to hold more spices and flavors in this dish.
I normally cook and drain the pasta, then start adding the other ingredients, which I have chopped, crushed,and otherwise prepared while the pasta boiled., No more cooking or heating needed.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:24 AM   #6

This looks great, Charlie!

I like the way you cook... This is similar to the way I make ''pasta salad'' which we usually eat warm, because I don't plan ahead to give it time to chill after it's all mixed together. I always figure, if it gets good and cold, it loses a lot of flavor (that's my story, anyway!)

Haven't tried it with sesame flavors, though. Thanks for posting!

:cblob

Old 03-21-2003, 09:03 AM   #7

Mary;
I'm a Texas boy, if it don't got no peppers it ain't good!
I 'v been a single Dad for 15 years and do a lot of one pot/freeze ahead meals . Now the kids are grown and I'm a grandpa I still cook in volume. wind up giving a lot to the kids and various friends. My dad grew up in a farm community in Louisiana and I learned from him , "If the freezer isn't full and the pantry isn't full you are headed for hard times"
When the "Preparedness" guidelines appeared saying we needed 2 weeks of food at home I thought I would have to cut back from my 6 month supply.
I got the recipe for the pasta from Simon Davids when they were by the Arboretium in Austin. The manager would not give it to me but later one of the girls there said if I asked again, tell them I had an allergy and they would disclose the ingredients. It worked.

Old 03-21-2003, 09:39 AM   #8

Not no peppers

Ah, you're referring to my rant about the habaneros, I think. Sorry about that. I like a little pepper in most things, too, but I just steer clear of the habs. That's all... Apologies for coming on so strong about it.

I'm gonna try your hab-strawb. chicken marinade, but I'll use jalapeños in place of the habs (or perhaps chipotles, for their more complex, smoky flavor).

Pretty good trick for getting that recipe out of the Simon Davids. I had to think a couple of minutes to remember that store...! (But, I got it!)

Thanks again for the sesame pasta ''salad'' recipe! (Keep 'em coming!)

Old 03-21-2003, 01:55 PM   #9

Mary:
No dig on the peppers was intended, I was just making a pepper statement.
I recomend you use the chipotles, I agree the smoky flavor is what you want. But I have made this with simple Pace mild and it is still good. One of the critical items is basting or putting some of the marianade on after the first flip on the grill.
Yes I do cook strange things, ask my kids about pumpkin/pineapple pie some day.
Actually I do have a slight addition to pumpkin pie that is good.
You start with the assumption that the best part is the pumpkin soaked crust.
Make the regular pie filling from the can. pour some into the pie shell.Stop and swirl it around to cover the entire inside of the shell. Add a second pie shell inside of the coated one. Fill with the rest of the pumpkin mix. Bake as normal.
This yields what I call double crust pumpkin pie, a family favorite.
I am planning to get the recipe from Z-Tejas for their ancho chocolate pie next time I go there. I will post that one when I get it, and their jalapino margaretas too.

Old 03-21-2003, 02:53 PM   #10

:laugh :laugh :laugh

You think the ''I'm allergic'' trick will work for getting the jalapeño margarita recipe?

Old 03-21-2003, 04:30 PM   #11

Charlie-

My new favorite bumper sticker: "If it don't got peppers, it ain't no good!"

You spoze it's genetic? (I was born in Louisiana to a Texan father and a Louisiana mother.)

I gotta get cast iron into that bumper sticker somehow! That's the other part of the equation for me.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:34 PM   #12

Robert:
How about
"I ron from it if it don't got no peppers"

Old 03-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #13

Eeeeew.

Lemme t'ink on dat.

Old 03-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #14

Mary:
In this lawsuit crazy time I expect they would happily tell you what is in any thing you said you might be allergic to . We could always threaten to pour it in our laps and sue for making us cold.
Truthfully Z-Tejas has always been generious with their recipes, a simple request one time got the chef to my table to tell me what all they put on their trout and included how long he steamed it and how he judged the temperature by the size and amount of bubbles in the steamer. Over there a little flattery goes a long way. Of course once I asked for the pico recipe at Magnolia Cafe(I have no shame) and they wrtote it out for me the first ingredient was "Chop 10 lbs of tomatoes"
it took a while to recalculate for family size.

Old 03-21-2003, 10:03 PM   #15

:laugh :laugh

Reminds me of when I was in high school. The cafeteria ladies actually made incredibly good cranberry muffins, which several of us made entire meals of on a regular basis. (Cheap lunch!) A friend of mine asked if she could have the recipe. They gladly gave it to her... but the yield was several hundred muffins.

We resized it... I still have it somewhere, although I hadn't thought about those muffins in years!