Tea kettles and power stations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Tea kettles and power stations

I am a very minimal camper and am doing some thinking over the winter in preparation for warmer weather. I have a U-Haul camper. The heater and fridge were removed long before I got it. I don’t cook much by myself, and am considering removing the gas stove, but the one thing I really need first thing in the morning before I leave the trailer is coffee and I am trying to figure out how to make in a boondocking situation.

I have an 120v AC 60 Hz 990 watt tea kettle that I would love to be able to use with a power station like a Jackery. I have a tiny Jackery 160 that works like a dream for recharging cell phones and iPads, but clearly isn’t enough for other things.

Am i right to assume that I would need to have the Jackery 1000 to heat my water? It looks like it would handle other cooking needs as well.

I would love to hear from others who are using the power stations along with their other options.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Coleman stove if no electric, if campground electric is available, Kuerig K-cups.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:41 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
For just boiling water, or heating a can of soup, a single burner propane stove is a good solution when shore power is not available. The tanks can be found in any hardware store, Walmart, etc. Walmart probably sells the stove too. I used one for years when I tent camped

Name:   _20201227_052946.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  11.7 KB
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I have a delightful old Revere Ware stainless percolator that has made a lot of cups on the propane stove. Or, the pot can also be used to just heat water and pour it over grounds in a Melitta system or the excellent AeroPress. The pot also works for tea or warming soup, or warming water for washing.

A simple Coleman 2 burner propane stove is cheap and works very well for camping, or, as Raz mentioned, the single burner model, but that is a little too minimal for me. The two burner is much more stable and allows you to make breakfast while making coffee at the same time.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
For just boiling water, or heating a can of soup, a single burner propane stove is a good solution when shore power is not available. The tanks can be found in any hardware store, Walmart, etc. Walmart probably sells the stove too. I used one for years when I tent camped

Attachment 138882
I have one of those.. the one in the photo. Hard as heck to keep it on low or even anywhere under half flow. OK for boiling water at full flow but hard to cook things, and forget about low flame in any windy conditions... keep your ignitor handy... you will need it many times to cook a burger since it keeps going out.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Jackery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post
I have a tiny Jackery 160 that works like a dream for recharging cell phones and iPads, but clearly isn’t enough for other things.
Jackery got a LOT of youtube time this year when they gave them to people to promote. I hope we get reports from everyone in a year to see how the long term test went. There are many brands out there some better some not so good. They call them selves generators but they generate NOTHING. They are high priced battery packs with an inverter. I upgraded the RV battery and added a small inverter and a solar panel instead. I try to run everything on DC and gas.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
That burner that sits on top of the bottle is dangerous as far as I am concerned, especially with a percolator on top. It is too tall for it's any your own good.
I parked mine permanently and use one of the two burner flat stoves where I have a grille on one side and a burner for that percolator on the other.
We have used it only rarely and then when in a park where the use of a generator is not allowed or in the morning when you did not want to disturb the others.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
You can find some 24 to 32 oz electric water kettles that look and are cheap, but work well that draw 450 to 750 watts, 120v ac. I have 3 of them. Very useful in a pinch. When I'm using something with high draw I hook my 1500 watt inverter up to my truck battery and let the the truck idle for the few neccessary minutes even though I have a deep cycle and 200 watts of solar.
Something I have that might work for you is an original drip coffee pot. You would have to find it used. There simple, but you have to experiment to find the right amount of coffee. It takes about half of what is called for for my wife. It's surprising how much time you can spend getting soothing right for someone else, especially if you love them.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Most of Asia and half the rest of the world rely on butane burners. I have two. The Iwatani is expensive ( note: that is a Canadian price ), but has built-in wind screen and works well from simmer to high. The other is backup and cheap ( under $30 ).
Attached Thumbnails
Iwatani info.jpg   Butane stove.jpg  

Old 12-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
For the Coffee, get a French Press. Boil water, pour in it. OR
Some cheap coffee pots swing the top up to load. Boil water on the propane stove, pour it in the top. (assuming you have put the grounds in the basket)

Small double boiler or pot with a flower out steamer to heat up Tamales, etc.

I used a two golf cart battery, 2500 w inverter setup in the back of my pickup and plugged the trailer into it. Could run the AC to pre-cool the trailer, or run AC for 6 to 7 hours for overnight sleep in places no generator was allowed, then charge with the generator or shore power. (AC was 5000 btu 11.5 EER) This was when I was travellng around to shows and staying in the civic center parking lot, etc. If it was a hot night, I would run the generator, power the battery charger and end up with the batteries about 50% down.

Our flood 3 years ago totalled the trailer and most of the stuff, so I retired and just stay where there is hookups with the new trailer. So I am no longer prepared for the Apocalypse.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #11

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I did not mention earlier that the drip coffee pot I mentioned only requires you pour hot water in the top.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #12

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
I do adore my Aero Press. It is super easy to use and even easier to cleanup. I see there is now a slightly more compact travel version.
I have used mine in so many countries traveling, it makes a really good strong cup of coffee, and that is just what I need to face the day whether I am in a hotel or a tiny trailer.

I had been using the propane stove in the trailer, a kettle, and the Aero Press when I was boondocking, and an electric kettle and Aero Press when I had electricity.

I do have one of the one-burner butane stoves. We used it all the time in Japan and brought it back with us. As I considered the wattage of a tea kettle (compared to all the really low wattage other stuff that easily runs off the battery), I think it might be just the thing to heat up my morning kettle of water.

I have to say when I read the advertisements for the Coleman and other butane cartridge stoves, I was surprised that they said to use them outdoors because they are such a common thing in Japan, but then we also used kerosene heaters (with windows cracked), so I was trying to decide if it was more or less hazardous than the other options.

Short story if you read this far - I want to avoid going outside to make that first cup of coffee.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #13

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
Since you have the stove, maybe consider a good old fashioned percolator. I use a Farberware one when we boondock. I can prep it the night before and it doesn’t take long to make a full pot. Stores easily and makes good coffee. In warmer weather, we use a 2 burner Coleman stove outdoors. I use paper filters for easy cleanup of the grounds and it is practically no work at all to clean up.
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
If you have a Coleman stove that you like for the dual burners, stability, wind screens, durability etc but you don’t like the idea of the white gas to transport, smell etc, For about $20 you can buy a conversion hookup that mounts on the stove and screws to a 1lb propane tank or with a hose to a larger bulk tank. We had these built by Century when I was Scoutmaater and bought them from Campmor. I don’t know if they still have them but I see Mr Heater makes one now too. This would allow you to leave the fuel tank at home and only pack the conversion. And the 1 lb tank that will fit on some lantern hookups too. Costs some money to go racing or camping. But not that much to convert your 413.
Get that old Coleman out, clean her up and get cooking with gas.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Most of Asia and half the rest of the world rely on butane burners. I have two. The Iwatani is expensive ( note: that is a Canadian price ), but has built-in wind screen and works well from simmer to high. The other is backup and cheap ( under $30 ).
I've got one of these made by Coleman. Inexpensive and works very well, on Amazon.
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #16

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Using battery power to boil water is the most wasteful way to discharge the batteries. How you're going to re-charge Jackery's batteries after a single use? Solar could take days to recharge, 12V - about 1 day.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Forget about all that complex stuff. Just go to this site and get appliances that run off 12VDC.
https://www.roadtrucker.com/roadpro/...fee-makers.htm
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
IKEA Stove

Here's a low tech solution for you. Lots of character, though, and so much fun to use. Get the real camping experience. This boils water surprisingly fast, in 4 minutes, I'd say. An Ikea stove. Look them up on Youtube. So easy to make. Super fun.

Best,
Fran
Attached Thumbnails
20201228_104118.jpg  
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
I am a very minimal camper and am doing some thinking over the winter in preparation for warmer weather. I have a U-Haul camper. The heater and fridge were removed long before I got it. I don’t cook much by myself, and am considering removing the gas stove, but the one thing I really need first thing in the morning before I leave the trailer is coffee and I am trying to figure out how to make in a boondocking situation.

I have an 120v AC 60 Hz 990 watt tea kettle that I would love to be able to use with a power station like a Jackery. I have a tiny Jackery 160 that works like a dream for recharging cell phones and iPads, but clearly isn’t enough for other things.

Am i right to assume that I would need to have the Jackery 1000 to heat my water? It looks like it would handle other cooking needs as well.

I would love to hear from others who are using the power stations along with their other options.
I’m a semi minimalist camper - and a coffee addict. I do have a microwave for electrical hookups. But, most of my camping is off grid during the winter months, so I depend on propane to heat up water.

First of all, I would not Camp without a stovetop burner. Period.

I have a Colman propane camping, drip coffee maker, which I found on Craig’s list. It was brand new & a great buy for me. This fits over one burner, but is fairly large, filling up precious storage space when towing. 10 years ago, the glass carafe broke and I replaced it with a metal carafe.

I also have a French Press coffee maker, which makes great coffee, but messy to clean. I also have an Italian coffee/espresso maker, purchased on Amazon.com, which also makes great coffee and much easier to clean than the French press.

I do enjoy hot tea, and have an old stovetop carafe to heat water. I also like scrambled eggs & hot cereal, rice, veggies, and entrees which I cook in a stovetop pressure cooker. So a 3-4 burner propane stovetop important to me.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #20

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

My question is why do people buy a trailer then use it like a tent. No stove, fridge, heater, bathroom, etc. Then they look for some different way that usually is dangerous or unhandy to make it modern. Leave in the stove.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote