Thanksgiving & camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Hi to all......we hope to go camping for Thanksgiving this year. Our camper has no oven. I need some ideas of ways to make a turkey day dinner.I do have a slow cooker,electric skilet and of course the regular outdoor colman camp stove.

So how and or what would you cook? Recipes and suggestions if you could would be a great help.

Thanks to all for all the help.....Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lynn, My Dad did a turkey on the grill every year, Mom would oven bake one and he would smoke or grill one. I don't care for gravy made from the drippings of a grilled Turkey, (too smokey for me) but you could make gravy before hand then take along., but the Turkey it self is yummy! Actually you could make your whole dinner before hand and take it, I personally like the left overs better. I guess cause I am not stressed trying to get it all on the table. So the left over dinner is always the best for me (the cook). As far as your stuffing and whipped potato's crock pots are wonderful for that. I always make my potato's and put them in the crock pot to stay warm during dinner. I know some make them in the morning and stick them in on warm all day, but I just think potato's can become starchy if cooked/heated for too long. So I always make them one of the last things to prepare then put them in to stay warm. Pretty much everything can get made on the grill, campstove, crock pot except the dinner rolls. I suppose you could warm up dinner rolls in the electric skillet but you wouldn't be able to brown them, so maybe picking up some great rolls from a local bakery and just warming them would be the way to go. How many of you are there gonna be camping for the holiday? Cause recently I bought one of those Turkey rolls, super easy and really pretty good. Obviously a roasted turkey is better but I was surprized how good it was.

As far as the Turkey on the grill my dad always grilled on a grill that had a lid, don't know if you have that option? I think my dad tried several different ways, but I know one way was to just use one of those foil turkey roasting pans and prep the turkey as you would for oven baking, cover with foil until the last hour, remove foil to let brown. They get a wonderful flavor so if you have that option I think it would be better than trying to crock pot it or camp stove it............ Good Luck, Happy Thanksgiving!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
My wife and I will be camping over Thanksgiving at Lake Ray Roberts SP (about 70 miles north of Dallas). We will cook a large roaster chicken (we don't do turkey) in one of those electric rotisserie cookers. I have never tried cooking a turkey in it but the instruction manual claims it will cook a turkey up to 10 or 11 lbs. I don't usually lug an item like this on camping trips but, what the heck, it is Thanksgiving and there's plenty of room in the TV. It's lighter than a grill but it's still another bulky item to bring along. I will make dressing and gravy ahead of time to re-heat and cook potatoes and veggies on-site. After I retire next year, my plans include learning how to do some dutch oven cooking using a camp fire but, for now, I stick to the KISS method as much as possible.
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

My next door neighbors use a Propane Turkey Fryer on their patio. This could work well while camping too. Make sure the bird is thawed before cooking and be careful with that much hot oil.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I've watched plenty of people do deep fryer (propane) turkeys at campsites. It is an option.

We camp every Thanksgiving. Since there are only two of us, I purchase a smoked turkey thigh beforehand and wrap it in foil with about a tablespoon of water to keep it moist and pop it on the BBQ to warm up. We get the thigh because we prefer dark meat but you can buy any cut smoked in the deli.
Stuffing is the boxed stuff and we usually roast potatoes, carrots, squash and sweet potatoes together in foil packets.

Bring store bought pumpkin pie and a can of whipped cream and you have a very nice Thanksgiving dinner.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
If you need something smaller than a Turkey (and moister, tastier) try a Capon.

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Several years ago i did what BrianP did.

I took my George Foreman rotisserie to Joshua Trees NP. The day before Thanksgiving I went into town and purchased a chicken. On Thanksgiving I cranked up the generator, no hook ups at Jumbo Rocks in JTNP. I plugged the rotiss. in and about an hour later I had a nice roasted chicken. I had taken the fixing for stuffing and prepared it there. I put it in the toaster oven while the chicken was resting. Made a fruit salad, some mashed potatoes and opened a can of cranberries. Voila' a nice Thanksgiving Dinner.

You could purchase turkey pieces and cook them in your electric skillet or in a skillet over an open fire.

Heck, you could take along some stakes and notch them for a rod making a make shift rotiss. and cook the chicken or turkey over an open fire. Gosh, that sounds appealing. Be pretty tasty too. Maybe next time I'll do that as I no longer have the rotiss.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Several years ago i did what BrianP did.

I took my George Foreman rotisserie to Joshua Trees NP. The day before Thanksgiving I went into town and purchased a chicken. On Thanksgiving I cranked up the generator, no hook ups at Jumbo Rocks in JTNP. I plugged the rotiss. in and about an hour later I had a nice roasted chicken. I had taken the fixing for stuffing and prepared it there. I put it in the toaster oven while the chicken was resting. Made a fruit salad, some mashed potatoes and opened a can of cranberries. Voila' a nice Thanksgiving Dinner.

You could purchase turkey pieces and cook them in your electric skillet or in a skillet over an open fire.

Heck, you could take along some stakes and notch them for a rod making a make shift rotiss. and cook the chicken or turkey over an open fire. Gosh, that sounds appealing. Be pretty tasty too. Maybe next time I'll do that as I no longer have the rotiss.

Thanks to all......everyone has given me some very good ideas. I had thought about cooking everything ahead......my worry was getting it all warmed up at the same time.You know sometimes I tend to Over Think what I will do about something and then I just miss all the handy and easy to do things. That is why I wanted to ask my *FRIENDS* here for help. With all the Great People on this sight I just knew I would get some great help,and I have.

Please keep the good suggestions comming. As it now looks like our DD and her family want to go with us....LOL! Any body live in Texas? bring yourselves and campers on down to Brazos Bend State Park and join us.

Always Friends.....Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Lynn - don't forget the Dutch Oven option! Another member posted a recipe a few holidays ago - I'll see if I can find it and post. I know some of our wonderful DO cooks here on the forum have done turkeys - they are yummy! Have fun at the Brazoz - L 'n D

On edit: Ah-ha, found it! LdB

Keith's DUTCH OVEN TURKEY BREAST

12-Inch Dutch oven
1 Turkey Breast with bone in – approximately 4 lbs.
(We have used Jenny – O – brand, however any will do)
1 Onion peeled and diced
2 Cans chicken broth – 12 oz
Poultry seasoning
1 Pkg Turkey gravy mix
6 slices of bacon

Begin by cutting the Turkey Breast in half along the breastbone. What you are doing is making the breast fit into a regular 12 inch oven. Remove some of the fat around the neck area and discard. Place the two half’s in the oven with the breast meat up. You can put the breasts on a round cake cooing rack, or grid that will fit inside of the oven. This keeps the meat from sticking to the bottom. Season with the poultry seasoning. Add Black pepper to taste if you like. There is usually enough salt in the broth. Place 3 strips of Bacon on each breast half. Add the 2 cans of broth to the Dutch oven. Sprinkle the onion over the breast and along the sides.

Place the covered oven over the coals using 9 coals on the bottom and 15 on top. (Or use whatever mix you prefer) Cook for 2 to 3 hours. Change the coals after one hour and check inside. If needed, add a small amount of water. You do not want the moisture to steam out of the oven and become dry. When the meat begins to fall from the bone, it is done.
Remove the meat and set aside. It will slice easier if you allow it to cool somewhat.

Strain onions from the broth and add a package of Turkey gravy mix. Mix with water before adding to the broth to prevent lumping. Place oven over new charcoal and make the gravy. Thicken with Cornstarch or flour as needed. (Some Turkey breasts come with a gravy packet).
Old 11-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Noting you have a slow cover, electric frying pans, etc. I think you can have a really nice Thanksgiving meal with some preplanning.

One of the best things I do when preparing a holiday meal is to cook some of the items ahead of time. And one of those favorite family dishes is Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes. It's a simple recipe and only requires about three hours of reheating in a slow cooker. I guarantee no one will know you made these potatoes ahead of time, they taste fresh and are wonderful. Left over mashed potatoes can be made into fried potato cakes for breakfast the following morning. Win-Win!

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

* 8 medium potatoes
* 1 cup sour cream
* 8 ounces cream cheese
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* butter
* milk
* paprika

Directions

1. Remove peels then boil potatoes until tender.
2. Beat softened cream cheese and sour cream in mixing bowl.
3. Add hot potatoes and beat until smooth, adding small amounts of milk as needed.
4. Add butter, salt, pepper and garlic and mix well.
5. Pour into slow cooker.
6. Dot with additional butter and sprinkle with paprika.
8. To prepare to serve -- cook on low in slow cooker for 3-4 hours. Stir occasionally.

NOTE: Can be refrigerated overnight in either casserole dish or slow cooker.

After heating these potatoes can be held an additional 30 minutes or more.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
For small families, try a chicken in a "plastic bag".

Get a big turkey roasting bag, wooden stakes, clothes pins, foil and charcoal.

Start about 12 briquettes of charcoal. Put foil over the chicken stake and stake chicken in the fire ring, with the chicken 2-3" above the ground. Place about 12-10 charcoal pieces around the base of the chicken and then set the oven roasting bag over the chicken. The bag should extend over the chicken and charcoal, trapping the heat in the bag. Use additional stakes and clothespins to keep the bag off the chicken and charcoal. Cut two small vents at the top of the bag. Baking is slow, about 2 1/2 depending on the size of the bird, and you will have to add charcoal as it dies down....use more charcoal on colder days.

It fascinates everyone to see this. I do it as an example of extreme outdoor cooking. It works like a box oven, but you see it.....a very moist and smoky flavored chicken that you can hold for several hours without drying out.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wow, Pat - this method sounds terrific ... and a real conversation starter, too! Thanx for sharing - LdB
Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

We're going camping/hunting over Thanksgiving (after we get back from the hunting trip starting tommorow...). Carrie is just going to precook the turkey and then warm it in a cast iron skillet (drop in a little rack to keep it from sticking) Of course the taters will get boiled and smashed to go with the gravy... Then just add the yams and cramberry sauce and we're set!!!! (I'll have to make the punkin pie the day before) Of course, don't forget the Cranberry wine.... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #14

Name: Charles
Trailer: Quantum 5
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Hi to all......we hope to go camping for Thanksgiving this year. Our camper has no oven. I need some ideas of ways to make a turkey day dinner.I do have a slow cooker,electric skilet and of course the regular outdoor colman camp stove.

So how and or what would you cook? Recipes and suggestions if you could would be a great help.

Thanks to all for all the help.....Lynn
We are also doing the Thanksgiving camping this year and I was going to smoke a small Ham on the grill since it is only the 2 of us. Good Luck in whatever you decide.
crm112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You can cook a turkey breast on the Cobb Grill!!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We are stuck at home this Thanksgiving. Texas drought is holding us hostage due to the brown pastures. Lynn, how about a cornsih game hen on the grill, if you don't care for the smoke you can put it in an aluminum pan with the potatoes added, cover with aluminum foil and 1-1/2 hrs. later you should have a suckulent bird.
Carmen D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
For a bunch of years our traditional Thanksgiving Turkey was roasted in a folding Coleman oven sitting on a regular Coleman white gas stove. As I recall, we would need several fills of gas, but the turkey cooked up just fine. This was on Canadian Thanksgiving which is in October and was the last weekend of our normal sailing season in South Georgian Bay. We would meet together at one of the outdoor shoreline cooking lookouts at the Beausoliel National Park and always had a fine time!
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Has anyone ever done a "trash can" turkey? Some friends of ours talked about it last year, and my husband wants to give it a try....
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat B Ohio View Post
For small families, try a chicken in a "plastic bag".

Get a big turkey roasting bag, wooden stakes, clothes pins, foil and charcoal.

Start about 12 briquettes of charcoal. Put foil over the chicken stake and stake chicken in the fire ring, with the chicken 2-3" above the ground. Place about 12-10 charcoal pieces around the base of the chicken and then set the oven roasting bag over the chicken. The bag should extend over the chicken and charcoal, trapping the heat in the bag. Use additional stakes and clothespins to keep the bag off the chicken and charcoal. Cut two small vents at the top of the bag. Baking is slow, about 2 1/2 depending on the size of the bird, and you will have to add charcoal as it dies down....use more charcoal on colder days.

It fascinates everyone to see this. I do it as an example of extreme outdoor cooking. It works like a box oven, but you see it.....a very moist and smoky flavored chicken that you can hold for several hours without drying out.
The low 'n slow charcoal method should also work insde a kettle grill (Weber or generic), if available. But absent a grill, it's nice to know the technique for doing it without one.

My brother in law likes to cook whole chickens on the grill... and he even starts with a frozen chicken sometimes! He makes a ring of briquettes around the outer edge of the kettle grill, with none directly underneath the bird. I think he said a frozen bird takes something like an hour and a quarter or thereabouts. I guess if one can do frozen chicken like that, a thawed turkey should be a piece of cake. Wait, that's dessert...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have several 18 quart NESCO electric roaster ovens , comes with removeable liner, lid ,and a roasting rack. Works great for turkey or ham and if lid does not fit with big turkey (20 + LBS.) you can use tin foil for a lid. I own four such ovens and about 6 large crockpots and have cooked turkey dinner with all the fixins for 40+ guys during Wisconsin deer hunting
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote