This old feller is running PERFECTLY now. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
This old feller is running PERFECTLY now.

About 4 years ago, we were stupid and left some stuff in our Scamp over the winter and it turned into a mouse hotel.

The Coleman camp stove I got for US$10 at a garage sale decades earlier turned into something best left unsubscribed and got thrown away.

So I got this one for $40 on Craigslist and it never worked all that great.
It would burn well on high, but turned all yellow when I ramped the fuel down.
If I lit the second burner it would go lower, but was a but untrustworthy.

I took it all apart and cleaned everything. There were "things" in the curved evaporator thingy and I got that all clean.
It was better, but still a bit testy at times.

So I looked at just getting a new one for our fall two-month cross-continent trip where I NEED a reliable stove, and a lot of the reviews were that they were cheap thin metal and didn't last more than a few times. :-(

So, back to cleaning. This time, I accidentally dropped the nozzle and to my surprise, the orifice banged loose and fell out!

So I was able to scrub the tar (literally) out of it with some soapy steel-wool and a bamboo stick, and guess what?

IT RUNS PERFECTLY!!

It can go down lower than at a limbo competition and runs nice and blue.

So the old feller is going back into service once again. Probably until we're dead.

(Also, it came with a sort of nonstick full-width griddle so we can do breakfast in the morning!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6183.jpg   IMG_5576.jpg  

AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Something about camping in my 1977 Trillium "requires" a vintage Coleman stove, along with a vintage percolator.
Attached Thumbnails
5DAD2EF8-7118-45A3-B6D2-7F8DE7D8D090.jpg  
Old 05-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Thank you! You have just kicked my butt and I liked it!!!!

downstairs in the deep, dark recesses of my basement (not really, but it sounds better in my story !),,,,there is an old Coleman camp stove exactly like the ones in both of your photos.

Sitting unloved. Sitting unused. Sitting forgotten.

No more! I will bring it out of the darkness, into the light and press it into service. Stoves like these are meant to be loved.

Thanks for reminding me of that.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #4

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Something about camping in my 1977 Trillium "requires" a vintage Coleman stove, along with a vintage percolator.
Hey! I like that toaster thingy.

Does it work well?

Is it like these cheapies or is it something better?
https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Fol...0778142&sr=8-2
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post

Does it work well?

Those are great for making dry bread. I pulled the wires off mine and use it as a simmer plate.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post

Does it work well?

We use Coghlans campstove toasters in camper and both houses. Lovely Assistant won't use an electric toaster anymore.
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I toasted some fresh cinnamon swirl bread with raisins on mine last Saturday morning. I like to get it pretty hot and keep flipping the bread so both sides and both ends get uniformly toasted. Works good for me as long as I don’t brand my finger tips. Been using one for many years. Still need to perfect the fold up Coleman oven. My son made his own Dutch Oven birthday cake in the 10 inch Lodge on Friday night. The freezer in the Escape kept the ice cream just right. Old meets new. This camping thing might get popular.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:21 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I donated a LOT of stuff to the local Boy Scout troop in 2007, but they would not take my 20 year old Coleman stove like those. I was told they don't let the scouts handle liquid fuels anymore. Just propane.

More of the bubble-wrap mindset, methinks.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I was told they don't let the scouts handle liquid fuels anymore. Just propane.

I don't blame them. Kid fails to screw the cap on tight ( or me ) and a trip down a washboard road results in half a gallon of white gas sloshing around wherever it was stored.

Always seemed to slosh over the funnel when filling the tank. Appliance would explode in a ball of flame.

Perfectly tuned and carefully handled, they still were a PIA.

Best enjoyed while browsing a thrift store.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:50 AM   #10

Iowa
We had a white gas underground tank in the filling station when I grew up. My dad was “sympathetic” to young folks who would come in with a Coleman stove or lantern, a tent without a floor, a cheap sleeping bag and a smiling girlfriend. So he would get out his modified Coleman funnel and fill their lantern or stove tank right off the pump. Feathering the handle he would put $.07 worth of white gas in the tank. Then he would ask them to pump up the stove and when it would not pressurize he would remove the clip, pull out the plunger and oil the leather “washer”. The customer would give him a dime for the gas and tell him to “keep the change”. He would smile and say “Gee Thanks”. Away they would go. And usually return in the future for ice, gasoline, candy, and more white gas.
That’s customer service. I’ve attempted to keep that model for my own my entire life.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-12-2021, 05:58 AM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Iowa Dave-----nice story!

We have never had any issues with our Coleman stove...the thing worked like a charm.

The main reason we stopped using it and put it away in the basement was because we bought our present trailer with its propane stove.

And yet, most of the time we don't even cook on that propane stove...we cook outside, either over the fire, or if we have power, on either an

induction burner or in our electric frying pan.

And yes, we too have a Coughlan toaster and love it.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #12

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I donated a LOT of stuff to the local Boy Scout troop in 2007, but they would not take my 20 year old Coleman stove like those. I was told they don't let the scouts handle liquid fuels anymore. Just propane.

More of the bubble-wrap mindset, methinks.
I was a Scout Leader at that time and that was our policy too. Practically speaking, it was better to have only one type of fuel for all of our equipment. I seem to remember though that we were told to go with propane by Scouts Canada, possibly for the reasons that Glenn Baglo mentioned. We had no problem though with the kids (except for the youngest) cooking over a fire.
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Iowa Dave,
That story made me smile.
Thanks

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:45 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't blame them. Kid fails to screw the cap on tight ( or me ) and a trip down a washboard road results in half a gallon of white gas sloshing around wherever it was stored.

Always seemed to slosh over the funnel when filling the tank. Appliance would explode in a ball of flame.

Perfectly tuned and carefully handled, they still were a PIA.

Best enjoyed while browsing a thrift store.
Yep. We had a three burner when I was kid. Quite a ritual to get it fueled up, pumped up and burning. Then switching pots to the main burner from the secondary burners that can only heat below the main burner level. Remember the little Coleman funnel with the felt filter? When the stove ran out of fuel while cooking breakfast, we had to let it cool before refueling. Then reach through the burner grate with a stick match to light it. "How may pumps Dad?" And, of course, we always carried a can of white gas. Then, in the evening, it was nearly the same ritual to fire up the Coleman lanterns. Lighting those things always made me nervous, but they were fascinating. "Hey Pop, the mantle's broken" He would carefully install a new one and burn it.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:07 AM   #15

Iowa
Lanterns

If there is any possibility that enjoyment of a shared sound could act as mortar to cement a 51 year marriage between two young people married less than a month, it is the sizzling bleed of vaporized Coleman fuel as it burns in the complete darkness of the Idaho night sky in a 55 foot tall fire lookout tower while these young lovers watch an approaching thunderstorm on the Camus prairie. They sip a cup of Constant Comment tea from a 1939 US Forest service cup while setting on wooden stools, glass insulators screwed on the stool legs and ready themselves for watching lightning strikes and glowing moss ignited by a strike that hits a Grand Fir and the following thunder that obliterates the sizzling Coleman.
Iowa Dave
https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...ile-gws-wiz-hp
Old 05-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Dave, I wanna go there, right now!
Old 05-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #17

Iowa
Tower Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Dave, I wanna go there, right now!
Here’s our tower. Forty bucks a night. I’ll send you the Tea and the money for the Coleman fuel but you can’t have my lady for company. In 1990 We rented it. It was twenty years after we were stationed there in 1970. Took the kids up there. Stayed three days baked a huckleberry pie, got water out of a seep in the mountain, had a wiener roast with sun-alpine fir firewood sticks.
Lots of memories. Road was pretty passable back then, probably the only guy to ever drive it with an 82 Buick.
Everybody ought to do it once. She sways when the wind blows.
I roofed that sucker but I was young and dumb and you know the rest.
Iowa Dave
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233128
Old 05-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've used these stoves for over 50 years, never a problem! I've taken many apart (for other campers) who were having problems, easy to repair!
Some years ago propane fueled camp stoves became popular and many white gas models were discarded. I found several just left in the bushes.
I still have 3 working units. The only drawback is the cost of fuel, $20+ per US gallon but still cheaper than those small propane bottles.
I've seen much spillage during filling however Coleman makes a filling tube that attaches to both the can and fuel tank. It delivers the correct volume of fuel to the tank without spillage. Before I got this, I would measure out a tank volume in a measuring cup and store it in a salvaged injector cleaner jug. The small mouth of the injector cleaner bottle makes it easy to pour into the tank or a small funnel, stored inside the stove when not in use also helps. Works for stoves and lanterns.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:47 AM   #19

Speaking of propane lanterns, I was given a dual mantel lamp that fits in a plastic case. Problem is you have to remove the 1 lb. propane canister to place it in the moulded case.
If you remove the canister, you can be assured that it will leak much of the propane that it contained.
I've since replaced it with a 30-day LED lamp that runs on D-cells.
Attached Thumbnails
LED lamp 2.png  
Old 05-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #20

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
My old white gas Coleman is fine, but I bought a propane adapter. I can use the small green bottles or run it off the larger bottles with the adapter shaft, or use the std. white gas container. I bought a coupling for the little green bottles, at Harbor freight. I can refill it from a 20lb tank.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote