This old feller is running PERFECTLY now. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We have camped on the Poagah a couple times and always visit the “Museum”
called the “Cradle of Forestry” it’s all about forestry in the east and how the Vanderbilts influenced it. Nice hiking trail complete with a logging engine that was the model for one of the characters from the Thomas the Train series. Being a forester this all interested me. Don’t know how old the child is but the helicopter simulator in the museum is fun.
Hope you have some fun and get nice weather.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
12FFD296-6C1A-4BD7-8B9E-A48DD4C92A84.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #42

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
called the “Cradle of Forestry” it’s all about forestry in the east and how the Vanderbilts influenced it. Nice hiking trail complete with a logging engine that was the model for one of the characters from the Thomas the Train series. Being a forester this all interested me. Don’t know how old the child is but the helicopter simulator in the museum is fun.
Iowa Dave
Nice looking dog, Dave.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:04 AM   #43

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Iowa Dave
Thanks for the suggestion Dave. The "Cradle of Forestry" is actually the primary focus of this trip. After several years of trying, I finally scored tickets to the Blue Ghosts Firefly tour https://cradleofforestry.com/event/i...rs/2021-06-01/ I'm 72 and always take a ride in the simulator and pretend to ring the bell in the locomotive when we visit. Kid is seven so pretty sure she'll enjoy those as well.

We're dry camping at the USFS Lake Powhatan CG which is next door to the NC Arboretum https://www.ncarboretum.org/ so are planning to see that as well. We've been before and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Asheville area.

I'm a 74 grad of NC State's School of Forestry so can also appreciate the contributions of Vanderbilt, Olmstead and Pinchot to Forestry in the US. Another commonality to swap lies on next time we meet.

Alan, my apologies for taking this thread on such a wandering route but really do appreciate your starting it and the input from all.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:54 AM   #44

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
Alan, my apologies for taking this thread on such a wandering route but really do appreciate your starting it and the input from all.
Many of us love to wander and get lost while traveling, and even more so in threads. :-)

I learn so much about all of you when threads wander.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote