This old feller is running PERFECTLY now. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #21

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Speaking of propane lanterns, I was given a dual mantel lamp that fits in a plastic case. Problem is you have to remove the 1 lb. propane canister to place it in the moulded case.
If you remove the canister, you can be assured that it will leak much of the propane that it contained.
You can purchase brass threaded caps which have gaskets. That stops them from leaking!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Those brass caps work well. They come in a two pack. However if you get careless and give a canister with a brass cap on it to your 30 something “devil may care” son, you will now only have a one pack. Because, well you know, “Dad, they even had a bin for empty Coleman cylinders at that campground”.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #23

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Part of what makes camping fun for me (as a retired engineer) is making things "just work" during an adventure.

I LIKE the challenge of getting a white gas stove running well and developing the skills to be able to cook delicious meals on it. (I also love BBQ cooking whole bone-in chicken pieces on a live-fire using the creaky/broken/bent fire grate that all the campground dogs have watered, but, hey, that's me)

I've also gotten a free 1-burner stove from next to the campground dumpster that I got working with a good old clean and some youtube videos.

Now, if I could only figure out how to make a decent fire using just the firewood I'm forced to buy at campgrounds without using a dozen wax-infused starter strips. Maybe that'll be my next learning adventure.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
I’ve got the Aluminum Coleman gas stoves. 2 and a 3 burner from the 1960’s. Coffee is best perked with vintage Pyrex.
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #25

Iowa
Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrry smithe View Post
I’ve got the Aluminum Coleman gas stoves. 2 and a 3 burner from the 1960’s. Coffee is best perked with vintage Pyrex.
I remember those aluminum models and though I owned a number of stoves, never had one of those. I do have one of the lanterns that has a silver finish on it’s pretty old. The forest only had the single mantle red ones when I worked for them in 69 and 70 on the Nez Perce. But they did the job. My favorite was always the big two burner. We made coffee in the percolator style coffeemaker.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #26

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Coleman stoves and lanterns

Love this thread. Just dug my old Coleman 400 gas stove out of my backpack and got it fired up. The Lantern has been a source of illumination for my back shed for many years. Somewhere I have a "real" tank for white gas (naphtha), it is somewhere in my storage area. Early AM, fire up the stove, boil water, make my Earl Grey tea and wake up everyone with the smell, normally just did oatmeal for breakfast as it was light and I never could get eggs to survive most of my backpacking trips. Used a WW1 mess kit that my grandfather used in France back then (dated 1913), cooked lots of meals in that old fry pan. If my knees were good, I would go back to that in a heartbeat.

There was a fire tower near Highway 23 in North Carolina, apparently it got hit by lightening and burned (ironic!). Steps were cut away to keep folks from climbing it, but I snuck up and hung my hammock over the catwalk. Early morning, I heard something, looked around and there was a huge owl staring at me. Guess I was on his turf! Can't believe that there are folks who hate camping. Was out the other week near Badin Lake (Uwaharrie Forest) and heard whippoorwills for the first time in years!

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #27

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Here's my tiny camping Espresso maker!
Attached Thumbnails
img_2828.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:29 AM   #28

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I donated a LOT of stuff to the local Boy Scout troop in 2007, but they would not take my 20 year old Coleman stove like those. I was told they don't let the scouts handle liquid fuels anymore. Just propane.

More of the bubble-wrap mindset, methinks.
That was Troop/ parent decision, I suspect... meaning I was a Scout Leader for 20+ years, we supervised.. but I also grew up using gas lanterns and stoves and never had problems or accidents... TIDBIT: first 5-yrs, we camped every Month... and for 5-yrs, it rained ON EVERY SINGLE campout, often on Sunday mornings while packing up... we got good at getting gear dried out.. AFTER WE GOT HOME... fortunately, SM had a garage
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Alan, congrats on getting the stove running right. I can't imagine any better camping stove than a Coleman 413. My "E" series, purchased at a yard sale during my sixties college days, is still going strong and Cindy turns out some mighty fine baked goods in the folding oven from that same sale,
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6480 (2).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	141158

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6479.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	141159
Dave, your posts brought back a lot of great memories for us as well, thanks. Coleman liquid fuel stoves and lanterns have been an integral part of our camping experiences for many years. Anyone who doesn't appreciate their simplicity and durability probably shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No sharp objects for me.
I like my one-burner butane stoves with their fuel canisters. No stinky white gas to carry. Easy to replace empty container and relight if fuel runs out while cooking.

I like the automatic transmission in my Highlander too, and my 55" flat screen TV with 500 channels at home. And, my iPhone that's also a camera. Don't have to drag that rotary phone along.
Attached Thumbnails
Iwatani clos.png  
Old 05-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #31

Iowa
I had a red rotary phone along with a multi station job and also a black rotary. The rotaries were not hooked up but were on my desk. My commissioner did not have a pleasant relationship with the way city taxes were being spent watchdog person and also not especially good with a prominent attorney who specialized in suing the city. So one day when we were going to have a meeting in my office, I put the watchdog ladies name on the red phone and the lawyers name on the other. I thought that commissioner was going to have a heart attack when he noticed their names on my phones and assumed I had a direct line to them. Then he got a little mad when I pulled the cords up and showed him they were not connected to anything. We are still friends though. I have to get a Coleman out and fire it up again one of these days.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Nothing packs more heat and light into less space than liquid fuel. On really low setting I can get a single mantle propane lantern to burn 6 or 7 hours. Not reading a book bright, more like a really good candle. On the other hand I still have fuel left in a big green 2 mantle or Red single mantle Coleman if it runs all night playing cards or reading a good book.

I have a butane stove and I do use it but have it mostly because my wife never really learned how to deal with the liquid fuel stove. She cooks some tasty stuff on the Coleman 2 burner but I do the filling, pumping and lighting. Also in some areas out west when fire danger is extreme they don't allow liquid fuel. It replaces my convenient one burner electric hot plate when boondocking.

I have a good working Coleman stove from the 60's heavy duty two burner that was picked up for $15 at auction. Another garage sale one with a bad tank that I got cheap and replaced the tank with a propane adapter. Works great. I hate propane camp stoves with the burner so close to the pan one can't simmer without burning. Fuel stove has burner further below the grate for pots.

I also have my favorite Molotov cocktail AKA Coleman Peak 1 single burner stove. Super easy to flood if one doesn't pre-heat the generator with some fire paste before trying to light. Even then have to baby sit the needle valve until it gets going good. Has turned into a pillar of fire more than once until I got the knack for it, and some paste to pre-heat.

Although more and more LED lanterns are earning a place in my gear. Lot of light for a long time. Simple, portable and inexpensive. I have one using rechargeable AA batteries that I really like. I'm also finding when not boondocking I rather like my hot plate. Does a sweet job of perking some coffee.

Really hate finding my mantel is dust from going down rough roads, going to try carrying the case in the tow vehicle to see if lantern case rides better there.

My issue is figuring out which items to take on a trip. Fond of the 1981 Coleman stove I bought new, little small but that also means compact to pack. Like the roomy heavier stoves from the 60's and those things can put out impressive heat. If you're going to take a cup shower this is what you want heating the water. One of these days I'll make sure all have been refurbed to like new and pass them on to the kids that camp. Except the Peak 1. They can use that to cremate me.

Someplace I have a picture of daughter and grandson sitting under a Coleman pop up awning with my stove and my parents lanter and cooler in the picture. 3 generations in the picture using 3 generations of Coleman gear.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
No sharp objects for me.
I like my one-burner butane stoves with their fuel canisters. No stinky white gas to carry. Easy to replace empty container and relight if fuel runs out while cooking.

I like the automatic transmission in my Highlander too, and my 55" flat screen TV with 500 channels at home. And, my iPhone that's also a camera. Don't have to drag that rotary phone along.
Could you post a pic of breakfast with eggs, bacon, hash browns (w/pepper and onions) and toast or biscuits for breakfast on that one burner? Or maybe a pan fried steak with baked potatoes and buttered rolls for dinner? Or just about any meal if you're above 6K with freezing temps. Go ahead, I'll wait.

I can't speak for all liquid fuel users, but those I know have enough common sense to check the fuel level before firing up so having to re-fuel mid cook is a non-starter. Gotta admit though, I have been known to forget and leave the naphtha at home but no big deal - the non-ethanol gas I carry in a Scepter MFC works just fine.

In fact, I do prefer a manual transmission in some cases - my jeep and turbo Solstice GXP are two. But the eight speed auto in the ZR2 matches up well with the Scamp so guess I'm not a total luddite. A big TV that gets 500 channels and phones that take pictures don't do much for me but, if it makes you happy...................
Old 05-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #34

I also have a two burner Napoleon BBQ for grilling or low and slow indirect cooking.
Attached Thumbnails
Breakfast - 1.jpg   chicken napoleon - 1.jpg  

The Only.jpg   W pork back ribs.jpg  

Old 05-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #35

And you take that camping with you? Must admit you have some tasty looking food there - tell me about that third pic if you don't mind
Old 05-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
And you take that camping with you? Must admit you have some tasty looking food there - tell me about that third pic if you don't mind

That is 'The Only Salmon' recipe. https://www.psf.ca/blog/only-bbq-salmon-recipe ( my picture is much more appetizing ).

About David Veljacic ( deceased )

A Vancouver Fireman, David Veljacic has captured prizes internationally for his BBQ Salmon recipes, and in 1991 he was the Canadian Barbeque Champion.
Attached Thumbnails
Camp kitchen.jpg  
Old 05-29-2021, 06:33 AM   #37

Glenn, thanks for the link. I'd like to give that a try but it won't be on the Coleman If that's how you eat when camping, I'd bet you meet lots of folks.

I wasn't aware Napoleon had a portable series so checked their website - learn something every day, even at my age. Appreciate that info as well.

And, just cause you seem to appreciate a 'lively' discussion as much as me, I still think my old 413E and folding oven would kick your propane butt at breakfast. If we ever get a chance to camp together, dinner is on you and I'll handle the morning meals.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #38

You're on. I gave my Coleman folding oven away. Used it to reheat pulled pork once, and I can do that on the BBQ.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #39

Iowa
I love to see a good challenge and owing to the fact that I have camped with both of you fine gentlemen and you no doubt need an impartial judge regarding the epicurean delights to be produced in this contest and insofar as I consider myself a gourmand as well as a person of integrity, I hereby offer my services of judge and chief taster and will furthermore provide the beer, liquor or wine pairing for these tastiest of offerings. I’m willing to travel as always. My schedule is filling for the upcoming season and there is still the problem of the border closure but rest assured I am sincere in my offer.
Have Fork, Will Travel
Wire Iowa Dave, Atkins, Iowa
Old 05-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #40

Couldn't ask for a better offer than that Dave, thanks. Hope all is well with you and that we can soon get this pandemic thing behind us. We haven't strayed too far from home for well over a year now - just a few trips to the coast and mountains here in NC. We'll be taking the grand kid to Nantahala NF next weekend so really looking forward to that. Hoping to get back west later this year if things continue to quiet down.

Al