Toad in the hole makes for a good breakfast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Toad in the hole makes for a good breakfast

I love having toast with breakfast. So we carry a toaster, but when we're dry camping, the options for toast, up until now, has been using the folding camp toaster, the type that fits over one of the propane stove burner.
It works, but we also make Toad in the Hole.

The Brits originated it.

Basically, it's an over easy egg in the middle of a piece of fried bread.

The internet has plenty of information, but beware...what the Brits call toad in the hole and what we Americans call it are two different critters.

The Brits make a big production of it, mix eggs with flour and baking it with a bunch of sausages. If you like sausages, I guess it's okay but I don't care for them, neither does my stomach. And few of us have bake ovens in our campers, although I suppose you could use a Dutch oven.

The American way is far better and easier when one is camping.

Here is the recipe:

Fresh bread slices.

Eggs

Butter

Melt butter in a frying pan.

Take one or two pieces of bread and cut a hole about of about 2 inches in the middle of each slice.

Place the bread in the pan and gently crack an egg into the hole.

Fry for about two minutes or until the whites have set.

Gently turn the bread with egg over to cook for another minute, depending on how 'done' you like your over easy eggs.

Fry the little round of bread left from cutting along side.

Serve!
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:19 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Egg in a basket

That is just the thing I used to make for my kids and myself way back when....
I found a stove-top toaster that works!! It's a camp-a-toater. Good news for me, because peanut butter on toast is a staple of mine.
Thank you for reminding me of this old favorite. It's now on my short list for easy breakfast items. I'll be bringing a small glass or cookie cutter on my travels.
Thanks again,
Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 12:10 AM   #3

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
My dad would make them on weekends, but he called them one eyed egg sandwiches. They are still one of my all time favorite breakfast's
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 04:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I make them still and call it Egg in a Nest!
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:55 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I made them for my kids when they were little and called them “house eggs” with a toast triangle red strawberry jam roof. The hole became a tree with a bacon trunk, and the rest of the bacon became a chimney with dollops of ketchup coming out the top.

They’re.all grown up now and have moved on to avocado toast with an over-medium egg on top and a splash of hot sauce. Also makes a good, fast camp breakfast.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:43 AM   #6

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
You folks are making me hungry.......I love bacon and eggs when camping.....love the smell of bacon frying in the campground......years ago...had a dish called toad in the hole in England.....it was sausages in a Yorshire pudding batter.....it was great. So was the stout at that pub.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #7

Washington
I got hungry just typing it, Jerrybob. I've learned that when I camp, I'm always hungry. I guess it's left over from when I was in the Army, when, we'd head to the field (of my three MOS's, my last and longest was almost always in the field) our first question was always "How far do we go and when do we eat?"

As for bacon and eggs...there's nothing better than that for breakfast in camp/field. What am I saying, it's good anywhere, any time. But recently I learned that Canadian bacon is far easier than rashers of bacon.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:06 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Our favorite camp breakfast is a “two-fer.” We often grill meat and veggies in the evening, then chop and store the leftovers. Sauté with some eggs and wrap in a tortilla for a fast one-skillet breakfast. No plates or utensils required, and tortillas travel well.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:41 PM   #9

Washington
Leftovers? In camp? I don't know what it is about camping, but when I do, my appetite goes into over drive.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:25 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
I got hungry just typing it, Jerrybob. I've learned that when I camp, I'm always hungry. I guess it's left over from when I was in the Army, when, we'd head to the field (of my three MOS's, my last and longest was almost always in the field) our first question was always "How far do we go and when do we eat?"

As for bacon and eggs...there's nothing better than that for breakfast in camp/field. What am I saying, it's good anywhere, any time. But recently I learned that Canadian bacon is far easier than rashers of bacon.
You got that right.....love campin breakfast and the smell......just makes me happy!
Old 11-02-2022, 10:18 AM   #11

Trailer: Trillium
A few years back, we were fortunate enough to get a free (half) griddle section with our Napoleon grill, and it is always installed. With the two of us we can get two steaks on the one side of the grill in the evening and do bacon and eggs on the griddle in the morning. Toast IS a bummer when camping and we ended up switching to bagels, which toast up nicely on the gril l

And yeah, starting before that purchase, we've loved toad-in-the-hole for many years when camping in our Trillium Mmmmmmm, maple syrup.

Glen
GlenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:59 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Etc...

Had a sailor friend many years ago. Cooking an egg in a slice of bread was easier sloshing around in a sail boat. He called it a "Moon over Maimi". I'd make it for the boys & put the toasted (in the pan) round cutout on top, We called it a "Top Hat". Also have heard it referred to as an "Egg Thing". How many more names can we come up with ???

Dennis.
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Oregon
Egg Dish

We make this all the time and have always called it “Chicken in the Pooka”

Polish roots going back to the 20’s.
Cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:57 PM   #14

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
The lid from a can of Pam cooking spray is the perfect size for the cutout, IMHO. But you have to use butter in the pan.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:26 AM   #15

Washington
For your reading pleasure....who knew???

https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrisp...-egg-in-a-hole