Toast - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #41

Name: Ervin
Trailer: Moby 1 Teardrop
Oregon
My method is not dry yet it is the bomb. I carry a Weber wire grill from one of their barbecues, about 15 inches across (someone left it, my score) and place it across the coals of the morning fire. Then take one of those classic blue camping metal bowls, put a little olive oil in the bottom, and spread peanut butter and strawberry jam on the top of some Dave’s Killer bread, put it in the bowl, cover it and cook until you get the desired toastiness. The peanut butter and jam get all warm and melty, a gooey delicious mess. Man, I’m hungry for some cowboy toast!
Ervin in Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #42

Name: Joel
Trailer: In the Market
Washington
Home Made

I like my toast crispy. I have found that the 4 slice camp stove toasters don't toast very evenly and it takes a long time to get crispy - usually more dry than cripsy. My preference is the home made version using a coffee can with holes punched in the bottom and wires strung over the open top. A shortened can works best. It is fast, even on a typical RV stove, so you have to watch it closely. This one I actually bought at a garage sale and is my favorite.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09192.jpg  
Joel in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Go old school! Easy - no space required.

For many years, my mom would simply pop a piece of bread on each of our marshmallow sticks. While she was in the camper frying bacon and scrambling the eggs, each kid was carefully turning their toast over the campfire until our toast reached the perfect (in our opinion) stage of perfection. In the event you don't want to build a campfire first thing in the morning, pop that piece of bread on a long wooden handled meat fork. Hold it over one burner while you fry up your bacon and eggs over the other. Works great! Takes up no space.
kimbodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #44

Name: Randy
Trailer: scamp 13'
Oregon
Portuguese frying pan/toaster

This Portuguese p an/toaster has ribs, works for me but you have to be quick and watch it. I tried the old burner toasters and did not like them.

[IMG]Garcima Stovetop Grill/Toaster Pan, 9-1/2-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DEHAPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_p2BQEbSWFFY6K[/IMG]

And maybe most people would not like this but I like it.

Randy
dickinsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #45
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Do you mean one of these?
That is exactly what I meant, Jon! My grandparents had one and were still using it in the 60s.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #46

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Both types work well once you get the correct burner setting. I find the box type better if you only want one or two slices.

Attachment 134119Attachment 134120
The style of toaster shown at the top dates back to some used over burners in home stoves a hundred years ago... they work, in spite of jokes about burnt fingers. Also, since the wire frames fold down the unit packs away into about the same space as a plate. Toast is important to making a complete breakfast, so that little device is a welcome addition to my cooking supplies.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #47

Name: Rich
Trailer: Scamp
United States
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I have used and still have the wire toasting thingy for use in a pinch. But do not use the back burner,b/c you might burn/melt the window cranking plastic handle, do not ask how i know this.
Exactly! I was just checking out our Scamp, first time I’ve been in it since we bought it last October. I noticed the melted knob over the back burner. Did I read somewhere on the forum about retrofitting something slightly smaller?
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #48

Name: Beth K
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
I've used both and much prefer the box-type one shown in the photo. It just works much better, I think.
Sorry, I was referring to the second photo in Raz's post #7.
vanstaats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #49

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
This:

https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8975...g-goods&sr=1-2
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #50

Name: Daphne
Trailer: Scamp
Decatur
Marshmallow fork?

While I AM a member of the "sisterhood," and I prefer the frying pan with butter method, I think you could put bread on a marshmallow fork and toast it over the flames...
Daphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #51

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I recall as a lad our family tried using that coleman toaster thingy, more often than not ended up with an inedible dried-out husk of bread. I like toast, but not enough to go though all that hassle.

Also not a coffee drinker. I get to relax and enjoy the morning sun while everyone else is slaving away making coffee and toast.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #52

Name: Lana
Trailer: Shopping for a Scamp
North Carolina
Dry toast

It’s easy to make toast in a well seasoned cast iron pan or non stick pan. Just heat up the pan and cook your bread dry till it’s brown the way you like it.

I have a small piece of soapstone that I use the take the chill off the Scamp without using the heater. It can also be used as a griddle so I may try it for toast and see how it goes!
Robins Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #53

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I roast all of my own coffee when I am at home. If I'm camping alone I make one cup at a time using freshly hand ground coffee and an aeropress. If I am making multiple cups I use hand ground and the Chemex. Of course the Chemex has to be packaged well to protect it. Either way I heat the water on the stove. (Photo of coffee kit added)

I'm not a big toast eater but my gf is and when she travels with me she's all about the testing the various toasting methods. I think she has one of those wire type things. I can't say how well it works but she seems happy.

If you want a real solar toaster just get a big magnifying glass and a couple of passes in direct sunlight over the bread... viola! (yes I'm mostly joking.)
Attached Thumbnails
20200429_115853.jpg  
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #54
CPW

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
If you want a real solar toaster just get a big magnifying glass and a couple of passes in direct sunlight over the bread... viola! (yes I'm mostly joking.)
Years ago in elementary school, my son, now an electrical and computer engineer did a science project entitled “Can you pop corn with sunlight and a magnifying glass?”

Long story short, no. The kernels will partially cook and puff out but the entire kernel does not heat enough to cause the internal moisture to “explode.” Your joke reminded me of his experiment.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #55
CPW

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
That is exactly what I meant, Jon! My grandparents had one and were still using it in the 60s.
And this is what the “early” stove top toasters looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
F9774449-94D6-44D3-AB66-904C7030552A.jpeg  
Old 04-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #56

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Toaster ovens are not good for cooking toast as that they cook it too slowly and the toast ends up being dried out. A$7.99 toaster from Walmart is the best way to go. Assuming you have electricity.
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #57

Name: Barb
Trailer: Escape 19
Newfoundland
I use the oven, 2 minutes per side, set the timer so you don't forget : )
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #58

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Again the toaster oven dry is it out and takes too long, plus the hassle of turning it over Midway putting on a timer
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #59

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13
Georgia
Here's one for about $5...there are others (Coleman, e.g.) that are a bit more...
https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-504D...8196447&sr=8-1

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." Andy Rooney
rjg433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #60

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
In a pinch, use a fork. Weave it into bread, hold over flame. Cost nothing extra, unless you only have plastic.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote