Toast - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #61

Name: Yvonne
Trailer: Casita
California
Toast

I’ve been making toast in our Casita for 16 years now with just a frying pan on the stove, no butter needed. Just put the dry bread on the pan, light the burner and turn in a couple minutes to see how it’s doing. No power required.
Pinkdoglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:21 PM   #62

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
“Spatulized” toast is a long standing tradition in my family. It’s based on the frying pan method but you take a good strong spatula and squish the bejeezus out of the toast. Those flimsy plastic spatulas just don’t cut it. I’ve broken several. It browns the toast nicely, and the sound of sizzling butter is satisfying. The objective is to make the toast as thin as possible. My kids ask for it the first morning of every camping trip. They’re 4th generation toasters.
Anachron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #63

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
My flame kissed toast is the best and fast... no fuss no accessories needed. I do it right on the burner. Shuffle it around on the burner till all parts are gently toasted and flip it and repeat. its not dried out ... just perfectly toasted and ready for your favourite spreads. Jim R. from South East
Manitoba
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #64

Name: Tommy
Trailer: Bigfoot 30C10.11
Washington
Try a propane torch
Tomcat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:30 AM   #65

Name: Phil
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
Another stovetop toaster

When I lived in Chile, a “tostadora” meant one of these, used over the gas stove flame. Worked fine, cost was a couple dollars. I haven’t been able to find them in the US.
Attached Thumbnails
486037A3-523C-4A03-9BE2-31B47996CC7D.jpeg  
TechiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:32 AM   #66

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefldiver View Post
Again the toaster oven dry is it out and takes too long, plus the hassle of turning it over Midway putting on a timer
Maybe you need a better toaster oven. I have a toaster oven at home that toasts pretty well, and does both sides at the same time. I use it for toasting more often than the actual toaster.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #67

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkdoglady View Post
I’ve been making toast in our Casita for 16 years now with just a frying pan on the stove, no butter needed. Just put the dry bread on the pan, light the burner and turn in a couple minutes to see how it’s doing. No power required.
That sounds like the way to go.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #68

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have that Coleman oven. I'm not sure if it's still in the trailer or what I did with it. It weighs seven pounds. I used it once for reheating pulled pork. It got too hot for reheating when I used a butane stove as a heat source. Ended up using the BBQ for a heat source ( which when you think about it, made the oven pointless ).
My buddy also has one and he made cinnamon buns, once.
The secret to using the folding Coleman oven successfully, for us, is to put something in the bottom that helps to regulate and stabilize the heat. I use a square piece of shale (rock) about an inch thick and roughly a bit smaller than than the inside of the oven. We can bake pretty much anything that we do in our home kitchen and it does a great job on toast, biscuits and breakfast cinnamon rolls. The oven, frying pan, two burner stove and coffee pot shown below were picked up at a yard sales during my college days in the mid sixties. The single burner is early ninties vintage. We mostly dry camp and never cook inside the camper so this works very well for us, YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6644.jpg  
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #69

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Both types work well once you get the correct burner setting. I find the box type better if you only want one or two slices.

Attachment 134119Attachment 134120
I've had both of these. I have found the top one dries out the bread quite a bit, but allows 4 pieces at a time. The bottom one does a much better job. IMHO.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #70

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat58 View Post
I make pizza with floured tortillas and a cast iron pan but you need a broiler. I have been thinking of a torch though. I may just try that.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...za-recipe.html
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #71

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
Is this a great forum or what? 70 posts on toast!
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #72
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This is nothing. Ask about tires.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #73

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
This is nothing. Ask about tires.

Speaking of tires, helpful hints columnist in newspaper suggested tenderizing steak by putting it in a zip lock and slowly driving over it.
Problem is, I had a Jeep Cherokee Chief with huge knobby tires. Had to pick gravel out of the steak before cooking it.
Next morning, there was heavy equipment outside our cabin, digging up the septic field.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #74

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Speaking of tires, helpful hints columnist in newspaper suggested tenderizing steak by putting it in a zip lock and slowly driving over it.
Problem is, I had a Jeep Cherokee Chief with huge knobby tires. Had to pick gravel out of the steak before cooking it.
Next morning, there was heavy equipment outside our cabin, digging up the septic field.
Good humorous post!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote