turkey fryer, oil? oilless? caja china? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
turkey fryer, oil? oilless? caja china?

trying to decide on a turkey fryer. i like the idea of the oilless fryers they have now,, but.... you can't use it to do a lobsterboil, or crawdad boil, or make soup or stew for a big batch of ice fisherman or anything like that .
with the traditional oil fryer you can also use it for boiling chores,,,canning outside rather then heating up the kitchen , and stuff like that. but,,, cost an extra 30 bucks or so every time you buy oil for it...thats a down side for sure.
or,,,,, a cuban caja china, its a roasting box used mostly for a pig roast, but will cook say four turkeys, or one heck of a mess of chicken.

easy to build, and i have everything except a sheet of plywood and a couple 2x4 to build one. trouble is,,, i don't often need to cook 50 pounds of meat at a time. so it sits more then it gets used. of course i could use it to store camping gear in it.

so what is a good solution for once or twice a year cooking a big meal?
at $59 from walmart,,,the oil fryer is winning at the moment.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have been deep frying turkeys for years. Everyone loves them, and leftovers are a rarity.

I have also done prime rib, sweet potato fries, battered stuff, Like you are thinking John, the pot and burner are very useful for other things. If you are ever doing up a dozen or two cobs of corn, having ha huge burner is great as it will heat the water WAY faster than a stove top, or most other burners. This is true for anything boiled.

Plus, it is very portable, and can be used camping, even boondocking, witch is where I have mostly used it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The problem with them is the oil, very expensive and unless you have space for storage, it is a one use oil. I used to have an old refer which I took out the shelves and stored the 5 gallons of oil for future use.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Just a thought, since restaurants frequently change their oil ... could you make arrangements to buy some used stuff before it needs to be replaced and then return it for recycling/reprocessing.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #5

Michigan
i do have a deep freezer. could you store it frozen between uses?
that wouldn't be bad. i actually see myself using it a lot for canning. and making soup,and such. i like to make up huge batches of soups and stews and freeze them for easy lunches.
if i can sort out the oil costs,,though really not that much,, it just offends the cheapskate in me.

though the motorcycle guy in me says use used harley oil,,,,,lol
Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Peanut oil is the best, but around $5/gallon- more than gas!!! Also if you do more than one turkey it would be cost effective. Maybe a neighborhood turkey fry where you do 4-5 turkeys. By then the oil will be dirty and you now need to find a way to dispose of it. Maybe if you know someone with a restaurant.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have a turkey fryer which I only occasionally use for turkeys . We use the burner with different pots for making soup , boiling pasta , frying fish ,frying french fries and onion rings , making Booya (With a 20 gallon kettle ) and with an adapter ring, stir frying with a wok. The burner comes in handy for all kinds of cooking and is great for feeding larger groups. We have also make breakfast using the burner and a 16 " fry pan.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Recycle the oil into biodiesel fuel or find someone who recycles it to biodiesel. Of course you would then have to get a diesel truck to use it.

It used to be a problem getting rid of it but now some recycling places actually pay for it.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
Recycle the oil into biodiesel fuel or find someone who recycles it to biodiesel. Of course you would then have to get a diesel truck to use it.

It used to be a problem getting rid of it but now some recycling places actually pay for it.
no problem getting rid of it, my niece owns a leo's coney island.

think i have decided on the fryer. pro bass has a unit with a stainless pot for $114. using my dutch oven and fry basket i can fry fish on it, using it under my canning pot i can sterilise and seal canned stuff. can use it to boil corn beef and cabbage, or potatoes corn and sausage, and it dawned on me with the addition of a bilge pump and hose,,, it can warm water for a shower when dry camping, would be handy for doing dishes, brewing beer, doesn't seem to be a down side to owning it.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Peanut oil is the best, but around $5/gallon- more than gas!!! Also if you do more than one turkey it would be cost effective. Maybe a neighborhood turkey fry where you do 4-5 turkeys. By then the oil will be dirty and you now need to find a way to dispose of it. Maybe if you know someone with a restaurant.
That's the ticket: fry more than one turkey, then dispose of the oil. I found it doesn't keep all that well, anyway. We used to have a turkey fry every year on the weekend prior to (U.S.) Thanksgiving. Our turkey was for dinner at the turkey fry, and our guests took their turkeys home for the holiday meal. The dinner at the turkey fry was also a potluck.

We stopped doing it when we figured out we really prefer smoked turkey... But that was several turkey fries later, and, yes, frying turkeys while camping is a great way to make the holiday dinner without an oven.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Many great ideas Steven,
I'll have to dig mine out of the garage and start using it again. I had tunnel vision on using it. Thanks.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i do have a deep freezer. could you store it frozen between uses?
That is exactly what I do, John. I keep it in the freezer between uses to stop it from going rancid. I filter the oil to get rid of most of the suspended solids. I usually get 5-6 sessions out of one batch of oil.

I use canola oil because of a couple nut allergies in my family (though the jury is out whether the oil contains whatever brings on the reaction). It does not have quite as high of a flash point as peanut oil, but it works quite well at the temps required.

It is not uncommon for me to do up two turkeys at a time. With a cook time less than an hour, I just wrap the first one with foil and towels and it keeps nice and hot. Doing two you can then inject different flavoured bastes into them. My favourite I make with Cajun spices in a butter base.

I just had to wipe my chin, I was drooling so much just thinking about the tender turkey that a fryer produces.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler and U-Haul
John Have you ever thought of using a Landman Rocket Roaster it can cook a 14lb turkey in 2 1/2 hours. It cooks turkey,chicken,pork,ribs,seafood vegatables & more. It uses charcoal. We use this when camping where there are no hookups, works great.

Al
Alan Ursacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Try bar-b-qing your turkeys. Put a pan of water under the grill racks, place the bird directly over the pan on the rack (on his back) b-b-q on high. check water in pan often and top up. A 15-25 lbs bird will take 3 hrs. Half way thru (1 1/2 hr.) turn the bird 180 degrees around. Have done this often and great on the last camping trip. Oh and no stuffing, OK to put an onion in.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote