Using a microwave?! = NOT real... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #1

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
Ontario
Using a microwave?! = NOT real...

I'm sorry, but to me "camping" means cooking over a fire...where are those recipies at? You know, the potatoes/sausage/carrots with butter and seasonings in tin foil over the fire...there's gotta me way more fire recipies, care to share?
Yamaha_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	166-10124_Old_Mountain_Cast_Iron_Pie-Sandwich.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	36047 We use cast iron pie cookers,
Butter 2 pieces of bread. place one one each side of pie cooker butter side down and fill with anything you like.
Pie filling.
Pizza sauce,cheese and meat or cook scrambled eggs for breakfast with ham and cheese.
Grill cheese.
I could go on and on.

Name:   1705squareci.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  27.7 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
That's cool, I have a 12v sandwich maker that looks like that minus the long handle.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Damn! Guess I need to ADD this one of Kevin's to...

...my very limited cooking repertoire. I'm going to invest heavily in (2) of these. I'm sure neither one of us wants to wait while the other one gets to gorge themselves in front of our very eyes...definitely will need two cooking 'machines' in our trailer household!
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Of course, depending on where you camp, fires might not be possible. In my tent camping times I've run into a lot of situations, even here in the humid mid-atlantic, where Smokey the Bear says no fires.

(but even in those cases I figure I can live without a microwave oven...)
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #6

Registry
Coleman stove works good also.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
The Boy Scouts do the thing in plastic bags and boiling water mostly for breakfast. Then there is the foil packs. I did a campout with my digitizing pals and the person in charge got construction grade restaraunt foil sheets that worked awesome.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #8

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Mr. 2yax and I have had several discussion re: Microvwave or Not.

IF we opt to add something once we hit the road on a more permanent basis, we're thinking convection/micro combo.

The downside for me is giving up the space for it and I don't really like cooking inside a trailer onna regular basis due to the cooking build up on the cabinets or constant wiping down to prevent said....I'd rather be paddling out on the lake to watch the sunset, thank you very much.

Presently do all of our cooking outside on George (Foreman grill), Martha (electric fast/slow roaster) and Coleman (campstove) with pots, pans or griddles. I'm thinking a small rice cooker might be nice down the road.

Dunno if/when the cooking bit will change so the conversation sporadically continues.

Freezer bag omelet....yummmmm.....freezer bag filled with a beaten egg or 3, all the omelet condiments desired and boil till done. Dump (or not) and eat.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we have a propane stovetop in our trailer that i have used twice, and even then, only to boil water during a rainstorm when boondocking. otherwise, we bbq or cook on the fire. and no matter where we go, we hear from other campers as they walk past us "now that's camping"...but they don't do it themselves!!!!!
i have dedicated pots for the fire, have always extra tin foil ( this is what we use a ton of!) and have some dollarstore tinfoil pieplates etc.
i do not own a microwave in the trailer. however, i rarely use the one i have at home.
there's something very relaxing about sitting around the fire cooking. but if we cannot have a fire, then it's bbq time. it's truly amazing what one can cook in a tin foil packet!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I do have a microwave. It doesn't do a lot of good when we rarely camp with hookups, but other people have different views. I use ours about once a year, mostly to make sure it still works.
I love pie irons. Ditto foil packet dinners, and/or especially foil packet veggies in the coals. We also have a basket (like a fish basket) with a long handle for burgers and steaks, chops, even (surprise) fish, over the coals. We also carry a camp grill to get food low over the coals, and not depend on those often ridiculously high-set grates on the campfire rings.
That said, everyone has their own style, and their own fun.
Enjoy!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Talk about leftovers...here's what we did with the night befores fire remains. "Now that's camping".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
morning after.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
A vote for the microwave- but I usually camp at things like agility trials or on a trip. I'm not there for the smoky, campfire atmosphere, I'm there for sleeping in a convenient spot, and the microwave is clean and easy. Woodsmoke is a pollutant that bothers a lot of people, myself included. I would not run a microwave off a generator- that doubles the pollution as it adds noise to the combustion- but don't knock clean-use of microwaves when there are hookups.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #13

Ontario
Sorry guys, this was meant to be a "share your cooking over a fire" recipes thread...not a "is a microwave bad?" thread lol. Kevin K...I need to get one of those, mmmm grilled cheese
Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post
Sorry guys, this was meant to be a "share your cooking over a fire" recipes thread...not a "is a microwave bad?" thread lol. Kevin K...I need to get one of those, mmmm grilled cheese
Most camping stores and Wal-Mart has them. I also have a waffle cooker in the same style. A metal dog dish with a few charcoal brickets will work quite nicely.
Another thing to look at is Dutch Ovens. There's tons of recipes on line and in books.

For one or two people keeping it simple usually works best.

For fun with a campfire try roasting aged peeps instead of marshmallows.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Bobby,

I am right there with you! Hubby usually cooks meat on Coleman while I microwave the veggies.
Campfire smoke does not sit well with me. If I have one too close, I usually spend the time in the trailer. Last year, some idiot started his fire right next to our propane tank. He was a tent camper, one that I assume was new at it. His wife did not leave their car much. She did not have a happy expression.

We use our UHaul to see the sights. We park it and visit local sights. Hence, Howie, the Uhaul for Hotel on Wheels.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Don't forget the corn-on-the-cob in tinfoil with butter.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #17

Registry
Corn-on-the-cob with husks on -soak in water (15 min) then cook with husks on. YUM
How To Grill Corn, Grilling Corn on the Cob, How To Grill Corn On The Cob, Grilled Corn on the Cob, Grilling Corn, Grilled Corn Recipes
Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post
I'm sorry, but to me "camping" means cooking over a fire...where are those recipies at? You know, the potatoes/sausage/carrots with butter and seasonings in tin foil over the fire...there's gotta me way more fire recipies, care to share?
Hi Maggie
Here's a cleanup tip my brother-in-law taught me:
Before you put any pot etc, over the fire, coat the outside with liquid dish soap.
It doesn't make any fumes, and you'll be able to wash the carbon etc off very easily in plain water.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #19

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi Maggie
Here's a cleanup tip my brother-in-law taught me:
Before you put any pot etc, over the fire, coat the outside with liquid dish soap.
It doesn't make any fumes, and you'll be able to wash the carbon etc off very easily in plain water.

Francesca

That's a great tip! I've also heard about lining a dutch oven with tin foil...easier clean-up
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've heard of people loading the pie cooker up with bread and then peanut butter, jelly and bananas. What an oooey goooey Elvis trip that is!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave