Waffle CAST Iron - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #61

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It's why I switched to copper bullets for hunting!

I was talking to a friend the other day who mentioned how he used to walk around "hunting" birds with a pellet gun when he was a kid. He'd keep all the extra lead pellets in his mouth, like chewing tobacco. He turned out ok

There's a lot of misinformation, obviously. Most of us have heard of some kind of product contamination or another. It's obviously smart to do a little research on what we think we know before condemning any product. There have been a lot of recalls, only some of them for lead. Lead just seems to be an easy culprit to cite.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #62

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
For adults (25 or older), lead poisoning is not as critical. For developing humans from birth to age 24 (last brain growth spurt) the research shows that even the tiniest amount of lead has an impact on Brain development. Now at very small concentrations, the effect is very small. But lead accumulates in the body so a constant low level exposure from an early age can have devastating effects on the development of the brain.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #63

Name: Rod
Trailer: Scamp 16 Std Layout 4
West Virginia
Renovated Cast Iron

I recently saw an article in the February issue of Wonderful West Virginia magazine about a business here in the state that finds original cast iron kitchen products, cleans them, re-seasons them, and offers them for sale online or sometimes at craft fairs and festivals. We don't use cast iron and I don't know them, but if they're Appalachian folk restoring genuine USA cast iron (some mentioned in the article were over 100 years old), then they must be alright!

Classic Cast Iron (Phone 304-216-4874)
classiccastiron.com
Rod D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #64

Montana
That could be a good resource. Not much stock, but they have a couple nice skillets and a nice combo cooker (they call it a chicken fryer). That's what I use to bake bread, and do roasts.

Some of the prices are crazy but I'm sure there's a reason. Some prices are what I'd expect. I found a brand new Wagner skillet on Ebay, with the tags from KMart still attached, for $30. Of course after shipping it was a $50 skillet, but oh well. Even just that far back (maybe the late 80's), they still made more refined cast iron.

I'm sure Lodge is very high quality, but the finish is terrible. In the old days, they'd grind out the interior, down to a nice smooth surface. No one does that anymore. The one I found had been smoothed on the interior. Back when I was researching good cast iron I came up with a date range for it...I think when general houseware corp owned Wagner was the 80's, just before they stopped being made.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4144.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	128281 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4147.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	128282
Old 03-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #65

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Zach,

That Wagner was a nice find.

I bought a new 8" Lodge skillet and sanded it out inside to the kind of finish on yours. It took about 1 1/2 hours with various sanding power tools and disks. That iron is VERY hard. I tried to file off a minor imperfection, while I was there, on the outer rim. First try it dulled my file. Thinking it was a cheap file I grabbed another one and it did the same thing. Yikes! Harder material than my files! No wonder it took so long and so many sanding disks.

I'm now getting the scrambled eggs figured out to where they slide out of it when done.

This all reminds me of being a kid and having the electric cast iron waffle maker on the table on weekends, turning out waffle after waffle.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #66

Montana
I'm sure they used some kind of industrial grinder on these, but yeah, that's a good idea! Better than trying to get a good non-stick surface on the sandpaper interior of a Lodge.

Unfortunately I might be in your shoes fairly soon...I ordered a carbon steel skillet hoping for something lighter. I didn't buy the Lodge because it had too many bad reviews (mostly talking about the pitted finish, which I know well from their cast iron), so I went with a Matfer...but didn't look closely enough at their reviews. There are a ton of good reviews, but if you look into the bad ones, the legitimate criticism seems to be that I'm going to need sandpaper to get the "protective coating" off the thing...I think the Lodge comes preseasoned, but the other brands are shipped with some anti-rust coating which should be easy to get off, but the reviews indicate otherwise. Hopefully not. I bought a wok once with the protective coating and it came off just the way the instructions said it would, no problem at all. We'll see.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #67

Smith Valley, Nevada
Zach,

I recently ordered two de Buyer carbon steel skillets. One is 11" and the other 8".
They are very nice, smooth and thick, with long handles that stay cool enough to handle with bare hands. They come with a beeswax protectant that scrubs off with soapy water and is non toxic. But you can't season them in the oven, like cast iron, because they have an epoxy coating on the handles. I seasoned mine very hot on the stove and it didn't hurt the epoxy, but I don't want to try 450 degrees in the oven. My only complaint is that the top edge is sharp where they turned it off on a lathe, so I sanded it some to round the corners. These are also keepers and I found them on Amazon. Any of their pans with a "B" in the name means beeswax protected. I suspect these will end up in the trailer as the iron pans are so heavy.

I also recently bought the 14" Lodge cast iron WOK and it is wonderful! Very stable on the stove and heavy. You can get in there and stir up a storm without it moving. It is rough inside, but so far with sauteing veggies, cooking bacon, or browning chili beef, it is outstanding. My wife cooks amazing Chinese dishes and can't stop mentioning how much she likes it. It came pre-seasoned, and I've added more to it on the stovetop. Seems like a lifetime pan. With the kind of cooking it is intended for, the roughness seems like a non-issue.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #68

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I'm now getting the scrambled eggs figured out to where they slide out of it when done.
On my Lodge skillets, I figured out that eggs stick less when they're room temperature and using butter instead of oil to cook them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I'm sure they used some kind of industrial grinder on these, but yeah, that's a good idea! Better than trying to get a good non-stick surface on the sandpaper interior of a Lodge.
A couple of the 8" Lodge skillets bought came with a really rough surface (more than the others I have) and used a grinding wheel to smooth it out.

Avanti wheel

Wouldn't mind getting an iron waffle maker and a wok.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #69

Smith Valley, Nevada
Dan,

I'll try the butter. I've been mostly using shortening for seasoning and olive oil for cooking, but I just got some flax seed oil and seasoned the steel pans with that.

For smoothing the pan, I tried the Avanti wheel, but it was painfully slow. So I went to a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a coarse flap disk and wore a couple of those out. Then to a 5" random orbital with 80 grit discs. Then a Fein tool sander with the triangle pads, for the pour spouts and a corded drill motor, with Scotch pads of various coarseness, to get the final roughness smoothed out in the corner where the bottom meets the side, and to shine it up to a brighter finish. No gouges or heavy scratches. Do the top edge too. Whew!

The Lodge cast iron 8" pan is perfect for two or three egg omelettes. And they are only $9.88 at Walmart. Find a glass lid that fits it. We just happened to have one.

For a sausage and onion omelette, just cook the chopped onion and cut up sausage together, (Jimmy Dean HOT, is excellent), and you can add a chopped jalepeno w/o the seeds too. Stir occasionally and keep it covered. Add a sprinkle each of red and black pepper and let the steam blend the flavors. Medium/low heat. When cooked, spread evenly over the bottom of the pan. Stir two or three eggs and pour them gently over the top. Heat on low, covered, until bubbling around the edge. Turn once, or not at all if you are willing to wait a bit longer. Watch the heat to prevent browning the eggs. I usually turn off the heat about three minutes before cooking is done. Slide the finished mix onto a plate.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #70

Montana
Well we'll see!

There are a lot of reviews that talk about them warping. Then some people mention you have to heat them up slowly, not just put them on a burner and turn it to high. Thoughts? I was going to start out treating it gently, aside from scrubbing off the coating.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #71

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Lodge site says you can sand down rough spots in their cast iron, but then you have to re-season. I would just season and use them. Seasoning and use fills in the bumps.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #72

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Well we'll see!

There are a lot of reviews that talk about them warping. Then some people mention you have to heat them up slowly, not just put them on a burner and turn it to high. Thoughts? I was going to start out treating it gently, aside from scrubbing off the coating.
Are you referring to the steel pans warping? If so, I don't know. But if the bottom eventually gets a bulge in it and makes the pan wobble, I'd just bend it back in my press to where it bent up instead of down, when hot. The old iron ones can sometimes become wobblers with a bottom that is bulged a bit. The ones with the heat rings might do this less. But with iron I doubt it would be possible to bend them back the other way without breaking them.

Heat control seems to be a good idea with either, to protect the seasoning and prevent sticking. But the material is about as durable as anything can get. I looked for what I thought was the thickest carbon steel ones just for the stability of them and to limit the hot spot on the bottom.

I like how we're taking an interest in these old fashioned pans and realizing they may be the best after all.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #73

Montana
You're right Glenn, it just takes a bit more work. It's nice to start with a smooth surface, but yeah, eventually those spaces get filled in with grease and food bits.

John- yes. The carbon steel pans. If you get a spare minute, check the one and two star reviews on amazon for the Matfer. You'll see a LOT of complaints about getting the protective coating off, and almost as many for warping.

Then there's a positive review in there somewhere mentioning you need to bring them up to temp kind of slowly, that they're meant for restaurant stoves with flame, and being directly on an electric heating element can warp them. Read it in a review on the internet so it must be true.

Yes, the old fashioned stuff is cool, often. It usually takes more work and skill, but there's a good feeling that comes along with that. Getting way off the tracks now but I started shaving with a safety razor and badger brush just last fall. A little rough at first, but I really enjoy it now.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #74

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13
Georgia
Cast iron waffles

Try this: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+iron&_sacat=0

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." Andy Rooney
rjg433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #75

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Rome cast iron waffle maker

I'm getting better with practice. Four waffles cooked on my Rome cast iron waffle maker this morning, no sticking at all. I used just a little Crisco spray on both sides first.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190401_094420154.jpg  
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #76

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
older thread

I stumbled on this wandering around the site and couldn't help myself. I like to collect classic cast iron but I don't like to pay for it. I don't buy it to look at but to cook with. Next year I am going to boondock at Quartzite for a while and I have decided that my electric waffle iron is headed for the bin even for home use.

I scrounged an 8 and a 9 Griswold waffle makers on eBay. They weren't crazy money but they were the most I have paid yet. I haven't reconditioned them yet but I am getting the knack of using them. This batch was made with a sourdough starter I got from my daughter in Florida. That starter has already migrated to my X and one of my other daughters here in Mass. It seems flour and yeast is one of the hoarded items at the grocery store these days. The sourdough gets around the yeast anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Annotation 2020-04-23 2302501.jpg   Annotation 2020-04-23 230250.png  

ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #77

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'll give you that cast iron can take major abuse and be seasoned and carry on for many decades.
Just saying that if you don't crank the heat up to nuclear and if you avoid metal utensils, non-stick can last quite a long time.
Which is why I bought two T-Fal Professional 12" fry pans when they went on sale.
So, if you can't crank them non-stick pans you got up to several hundred degrees, (like you can with a good old cast iron pan,) just how do you manage to get a great sear on a good steak, or is gray meat in a lukewarm skillet good enough?
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #78

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
On a charcoal grill!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #79

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
The best steaks are made on a steel flat top or frying pan. As nice as it may sound, a grilled steak has lost much more of its moisture because of the meat being on an open grill. A pan or flat top keeps the juices under the meat. And if you're looking for that Maillard effect from the "grill marks," well, that's the only place you'll have them. With a pan or flat top, the whole surface of the steak has the Maillard effect.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #80

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Won’t argue with you, but two days ago I managed the most tender, juicy sirloin over charcoal I have yet tasted. Piled up all the coals on one side for the sear, then slid to the other side and covered to smoke to medium.

We do use cast iron at home when it’s too cold to grill, but for camping I prefer to cook outside on the grill.

YMMV
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote