What are the easiest meals to cook while camping? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19 on order
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I find it interesting that we seem to split between those who use camping as an opportunity to avoid cooking to the extent possible and those who enjoy using it to be creative and imaginative in food preparation. Another example of the latter is those of us who love Dutch oven cooking in camp.

Walt
Yes, interesting. I now have a dutch oven, but don't know how to bake in it yet. Been wanting to do some biscuits to get started and then some casseroles like my Mom used to make.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #22

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I find it interesting that we seem to split between those who use camping as an opportunity to avoid cooking to the extent possible and those who enjoy using it to be creative and imaginative in food preparation. Another example of the latter is those of us who love Dutch oven cooking in camp.

Walt

There's those that camp to eat and those that eat to camp.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we often bring a bunch of premade dinners frozen in seal-a-meal bags, we just drop in a pot of boiling water. my wife makes awesome crockpot stuff at home... beef stew, black bean chili, lamb curry (rogan josh) are some of our favorites. she'll precook a big batch of basmati rice and put it in meal-for-two boilabags ...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
we often bring a bunch of premade dinners frozen in seal-a-meal bags, we just drop in a pot of boiling water. my wife makes awesome crockpot stuff at home... beef stew, black bean chili, lamb curry (rogan josh) are some of our favorites. she'll precook a big batch of basmati rice and put it in meal-for-two boilabags ...
This is fine for week-end, what do you for a couple months?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #25

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Everyone are different. We tend to eat delicious home made dishes daily, but usually eating a fast food on holiday/celebration family gatherings :-) Sometime human's body wants junk food :-)
Old 01-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #26

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
as my wife is still working full time, we've not gone on the road for a couple months yet. the seal-a-meal thing has lasted us a week or so, stretched longer with a few meals out (for instance, on a day trip away from camp, we'll stop somewhere for a late large lunch, then basically skip dinner or just snack).
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Whatever you want, Byron!

Not everyone takes longer trips, so we all have different approaches to camp cooking. It's all good, and I find others' approaches interesting. The boil-a-bags would get cumbersome for a larger group, too, but I like the idea. We bring pre-cooked rice that way.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
What we eat and how much we eat while camping has a lot to do with the weather . If the temps are in the normal range we eat regular meals , if it's cooler we eat hardier meals and if it is hot we tend to only snack
What would be about a week's ration of food while camping in Wisconsin in November would probably feed us for a month if we were down south in the winter.
One advantage we have when camping in Wisconsin is that we can store food in an outdoor cooler and it stays cold using hardly any ice ( 4 to 7 days)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #29

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Whatever you want, Byron!

Not everyone takes longer trips, so we all have different approaches to camp cooking. It's all good, and I find others' approaches interesting. The boil-a-bags would get cumbersome for a larger group, too, but I like the idea. We bring pre-cooked rice that way.

When anybody talks about something that generally only works for week-ends I would expect some sort of explanation. In this case it's pretty obvious that frozen food will only last two to three days in hot weather. Great for week-ends, but not so great for those of us that camp for 3 to 4 months at time. I would hate to see somebody getting sick by trying keeping frozen food for long periods of time.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #30

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Man cannot live on Spam alone.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
Anybody use one of the "Can Cookers"?
https://www.cancooker.com/cancooker-original/
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #32

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Quote:
When anybody talks about something that generally only works for week-ends I would expect some sort of explanation. In this case it's pretty obvious that frozen food will only last two to three days in hot weather. Great for week-ends, but not so great for those of us that camp for 3 to 4 months at time. I would hate to see somebody getting sick by trying keeping frozen food for long periods of time.
Some of us have real freezers in our trailers!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #33

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
this!
Old 01-31-2018, 11:14 AM   #34

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Yep. Last extended trip we had a couple lbs of frozen meat, veggies, ice cream etc in the freezer. Game changer.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:38 PM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Over the years I've sort of backed into a tradition of the first meal on the trip is a can of Dinty Moore. I travel alone, I'm somewhat handicapped getting around and by the time I'm done setting up, opening a can and reheating is just about my speed.

A couple trips back, (the trip where I discovered that a water line had burst over the winter), I made a freeze dried meal for the first meal. Some kind of beef stew if I recall. All I had to do was boil a cup of water and pour it into the pouch. You can even eat it out of the pouch although I poured it into a paper soup bowl. Can't get much simpler and it was not bad. I now carry a couple meals from Cabelas or REI for late arrivals or especially trying trips.

However, I'm not having Dinty or freeze dried every night. Beyond the first night I don't have any especially quick and easy tips and tricks.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #36

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
I have found that the most enjoyable meal is the one that was prepared and cooked by someone else. I'm not real pickky and food is food.

In addition, all of you traveling chefs, if your in the Cincinnati area you must stop a "Jungle Jim's"!!! It is the only "grocery store" that has tours. If your looking for something special all I can say is stop in at Jungle Jim's. The have two stores in the Cincinnati area, one on the east side just off I-275 at the Route 32 exit, the other is on the north side of Cincinnati near Hamilton Ohio.
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #37

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Most of our camping is likely what most of you would call boondocking. A Park but with no power or internet service. No restaurant or grocery store for along way either.
We take small packets of frozen meat (the freezer is tiny) plus some home made soup that is frozen when we leave home and lives in the bottom of the fridge until thawed - sometimes a week! Potatoes, carrots and cabbage are pretty much staple along with some rice, oatmeal and various pastas. Cheese, eggs, spicy sausage fill spots in the fridge. A few cans round out the pantry.
We seem to have everything we need to make a quick easy meal or something demanding more time and attention. It works well for us. When one of us feels like 'really' cooking the ingredients are there (though sometimes we have to think out of the box). We make bread substitute once in a while too - bannock, tortillas etc.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 PM   #38

Trailer: Black Series HQ19 on order
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Over the years I've sort of backed into a tradition of the first meal on the trip is a can of Dinty Moore. I travel alone, I'm somewhat handicapped getting around and by the time I'm done setting up, opening a can and reheating is just about my speed.

A couple trips back, (the trip where I discovered that a water line had burst over the winter), I made a freeze dried meal for the first meal. Some kind of beef stew if I recall. All I had to do was boil a cup of water and pour it into the pouch. You can even eat it out of the pouch although I poured it into a paper soup bowl. Can't get much simpler and it was not bad. I now carry a couple meals from Cabelas or REI for late arrivals or especially trying trips.

However, I'm not having Dinty or freeze dried every night. Beyond the first night I don't have any especially quick and easy tips and tricks.
Steve,
Good plan. Sometimes when tired and getting there late, it would be so nice to have a hot filling dinner that easily.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:44 AM   #39

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Airstream
Massachusetts
Thanks for your input. One more dish I would like to add and you can try on your next camping trip is Quesadillas. It’s also one of the easiest meals to cook while camping if you have readymade tortillas and filling. Pack baked tortillas and a large packet of a mixture of your choice before leaving for the camp. Sautéed or baked beans, salsa, and cheese makes a toothsome filling. You don’t have to do anything except for preparing the quesadillas and heat them up. I made it once at my last camping trip, it tasted great.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1988 Scamp-16
Florida
Easy meals

Whenever we are cooking at home we remember camping. So when we make chili, homemade soup, spaghetti sauce, etc. we make extra and freeze some for camping. They double as ice to cool things early in the trip then make simple meals. I love to cook while camping while simplifying it to keep it enjoyable. I pre measure pancake batter into zip locks and write the required water amount on the bag. You can add the water to the bag, mix and pour. Works for oatmeal also. We pre cook sausage and freeze in packages with just enough for each meal. Grab a bag and heat on skillet without all the mess. I know you can by factory cooked, but this is cheaper, tastes better, and also is less packaging.

We love hobo stew; 2 layers aluminum foil about 10", layer sliced potatoes, chopped onion, celery, sliced carrots, slice mushrooms, salt & pepper, then crumble in 1/3 lb hamburger, spice again. Seal up aluminum foil and place in fire coals for 20-30 minutes. Open and eat out of aluminum foil To make it even easier, I pre cut all but potatoes and place in zip locks at home. Always ensure meat on top so the juices infuse into the vegetables. this can be done with other meats and a variety of vegetables.

White potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, and other veggies spiced and or buttered wrapped in aluminum foil and tossed in the fire coals are regulars at our camp. Simple and delicious. Of course we always have a fire, without one we wouldn't feel like we were camping. lol

Cajun Dave is offline   Reply With Quote