And no one asks me to fix them one

TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #102

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
For TZBrown - when you need to take it up a notch Spam Musubi

The hard part is getting the sticky rice right - pretty good too!
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #103

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Roadtrek
Washington
For camping I make and keep a lot of homemade foods frozen on standby so we can be spontaneous and take them on the road. They act as additional ice in the ice chest if we need to take large untitled due to group camping duties or as start for the fridge till the 12 volt kicks in nice and cold.

I freeze chili and hearty soups and stews of every variety, especially curries. I also freeze rice in zip lock bags to layer under those. I bake our bread and tortillas so I freeze bread as well and take along a big batch of homemade tortillas. Sweet potato tortillas are super and dead simple to make - it seems anything can fill a tortilla and taste yummy! I also freeze cooked beans and onions with seasonings that can be be a part of any meal as a side or a filling for tortillas. Also frozen hamburger patties for grilling works well and is super simple and satisfying. We take along lots of apples for snacking. No sugar peanut butter and aged cheeses for sandwiches or compliments to apples as they keep well. Oatmeal with nuts, fruit (chopped apples, bananas, etc. and no sugar yogurt for breakfast to keep the body working well during periods of inactivity such as occurs when driving to destinations but full on eggs and bacon or sausage and apple fritters for days in camp when we are doing more than sitting around. When we group camp, each family is responsible for a meal for anywhere from four to ten so I find that crockpot beef or pork roast with veggies (veggies already prepared at home and put in a gallon freezer bag and a frozen roast allowed to slowly thaw) works well served alongside along with a crusty loaf of bread.

We spend a lot of time on Puget Sound in our wee cabin cruiser with a wee refrigerator and galley smaller than the tiniest fiberglass RVs we have seen and so I have to be very clever with how I put together the weekends menus so that we have yummy food since we can't eat at most restaurants due to food allergies. It is challenging but I find that pre cooking, bagging and freezing helps tremendously with both quality of food (homemade) and ease of prep in a small space (everything is already sliced, diced and ready to reheat or crockpot). If I make a beef stew for home I make enough to have one for a Roadtrek trip and one for a wee tug trip. We purchased a small chest freezer that is stocked with camping food now and that has really helped this past year.

Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote