Wonderbag "Crockpot" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Wonderbag "Crockpot"

My DH and I just returned from a fabulous trip to Southern Africa where we learned of the Wonderbag Home page. View these videos to learn all about it! and . As a seamstress, I know this will be easy to sew and I've found many sets of instructions on the Internet. I'm waiting to hear from Wonderbag to find out how to purchase one in the U.S.

I think this item would be fabulous at home and while camping for cooking stews, bread as well as for insulating cool things thereby reducing our carbon footprint.

Let me know what you think!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Wonderpot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
My DH and I just returned from a fabulous trip to Southern Africa where we learned of the Wonderbag Home page. View these videos to learn all about it! and . As a seamstress, I know this will be easy to sew and I've found many sets of instructions on the Internet. I'm waiting to hear from Wonderbag to find out how to purchase one in the U.S.

I think this item would be fabulous at home and while camping for cooking stews, bread as well as for insulating cool things thereby reducing our carbon footprint.

Let me know what you think!
Brilliant Gilda! Thank you so much for sharing...can't wait till this idea covers Facebook!! So much for~ electric slow cookers eh?!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:53 AM   #3

California
Registry
Guess what? Amazon.com offers the Wonderbag and other thermal cookers for sale! Amazon.com: wonderbag cooker
Old 05-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

California
Registry
I just found these DIY instructions for you to sew your own Wonderbag using Styrofoam packing peanuts as stuffing. You could also use beanbag Styrofoam pellets, carded wool, shredded therafoam (used in the original Wonderbag) among other things. Look at the bottom of the article for a link to instructions to make a small version which accommodates a small saucepan with a handle. Personally, I can hardly wait to sew up my new Wonderbag. https://newlifenewpurpose.wordpress....led-materials/
Old 05-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #5

California
Registry
A consideration in making the Wonderbag is the release of fumes from plastics subjected to heat. Please read the author's comments on this. https://newlifenewpurpose.wordpress....-on-this-site/

To avoid the potential release of toxic fumes I am considering using a natural material, such as wool, for the insulation of my Wonderbag. An added bonus is that, when empty and not in use my bag will be a comfy and decorative pillow!
Old 05-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #6

California
Registry
This article gives some details about using the Wonderbag which I have not seen elsewhere. The author makes a case for using polystyrene beads as the best insulator. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons for myself. http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/slow...g-wonder-oven/
Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
With limited computer time I have not watched the video. Being uninformed my question would be about the moisture produced while cooking food.

When I put an insulated device around my crockpot to keep wind away....and then put a towel on top to try to keep heat in...I end up with a very damp towel at the end of cooking.

Without enough information I see a wet bag that would take time to dry out, especially if it was full of wet wool. Wet fabric equals musty fabric.

Maybe a trip to McDonalds to use computer time to watch the video is in order!

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
One issue we have run into with wrapping a hot crock pot in an insulating blanket is the contained heat softens the plastic handles and feet. I went to take the crockpot out of the insulating wrap and the handle fell off the crockpot , luckily no one was burned. The plastic parts are meant to be in open air so they don't overheat. The idea is great but in practice not so much , at least in my experience.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
With limited computer time I have not watched the video. Being uninformed my question would be about the moisture produced while cooking food.

When I put an insulated device around my crockpot to keep wind away....and then put a towel on top to try to keep heat in...I end up with a very damp towel at the end of cooking.

Without enough information I see a wet bag that would take time to dry out, especially if it was full of wet wool. Wet fabric equals musty fabric.

Maybe a trip to McDonalds to use computer time to watch the video is in order!

Nancy
The Wonderbag is not an accessory to a crockpot but a crockpot replacement. It is an insulated bag in which you place a Dutch oven type pot which has food ingredients which have been heated to boiling. The pot is then put into the bag (wrap with a couple dish towels to avoid staining bag with inadvertent spills) Leave the bag and pot for several hours and your ingredients will cook and stay hot.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Basically the same principle as a hay hole (cooking in a hay-lined hole) but more portable. Interesting idea for replacing a slow cooker but probably not doing much on the carbon footprint side. You have to start with hot food and the insulation keeps it hot. But a crock pot has insulation, too, though probably less, and uses very little electricity. So in terms of carbon footprint I doubt you are saving a lot.

In terms of cooking without electricity, it would be a good idea camping. Cook breakfast and dinner, put dinner in the pot in the bag, and safely put the fire out. Come back to a cooked dinner. Provided, of course, you have a safe place to leave the food away from possible predators.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #11

California
Registry
Perhaps I should have started this forum topic with a written description instead of the videos. I was trying to avoid writing too much. I used the analogy of the crockpot (in quotes) in my forum title to give a clue as to the concept of the Wonderbag. Basically it is a, mostly, passive crockpot. I think it's creative, colorful and functional. I posted it on this forum as I think I'll add it to my repertoire of fun, useful and beautiful camping items. I'm thinking of sewing my own small version of the Wonderbag so we, my husband and I, can enjoy stews, brown or white rice (and other grains) and fresh bread while camping in the minimalist way we love. We can put the Wonderbag, in action, inside our camper to keep out critters. I won't use it in bear country! When not in use, the bag can be used as a decorative and functional pillow!

Personally, I am impressed by the resourcefulness of the South African woman who invented the Wonderbag and her dedication to helping to improve the lives of people in less advantaged areas of our world. Yes, it is a variation on the theme of burying one's food or otherwise insulating the heat (or cold).

The Wonderbag was invented in order to help those who live in less developed rural areas around the world. The use of wood fires is depleting forests, is causing harmful indoor pollution resulting in disease and is causing household fires. By using little fuel to heat up the food ingredients and then placing the hot pot in the Wonderbag users lessen their exposure to these problems.

For each Wonderbag purchased one is donated to a needy family. One can also offer a donation to buy bags directly for a families. We, in the developed Western world, can help further this cause by 1. Puchasing Wonderbags for the underdeveloped world to use and 2. use Wonderbags ourselves to lessen our use of natural resources.

The following comes directly from the Wonderbag website (Please note #9):
THE WONDERBAG WONDERS

1. HEALTHY: Cooking in The Wonderbag keeps the moisture inside your food and nutrients don't boil away promoting healthy food.
  2. SAFE: Slow cooking in The Wonderbag uses less water, food doesn't burn and neither should you or your family.
  3. TASTY AND DELICIOUS: Cooking in The Wonderbag over time tenderizes meat, keeps vegetables firm, allows flavours to develop so meals are tasty and delicious.
  4. GORGEOUS: Wonderbags are designed and made in attractive fabrics that are easy to wash, wipe and clean.
  5. PORTABLE: The Wonderbag is perfect for transporting meals to picnics and to friends – ready to share and eat – piping hot. Once it is used, it can be put away.
  6. WONDERTIME CONVENIENCE: Eat when you're ready. Family or friends running late? Keep your Wonderbag meal fresh and hot without spoiling it or prepare meals in advance, the night before, or in the morning and just reheat and serve. A nutritious meal is ready in minutes.
  7. INSULATES: Hot and Cold - The Wonderbag keeps things cold too, so it’s a great farmers market or supermarket companion to keep your groceries cold and frozen while travelling.
  8. VERSATILE: The Wonderbag is not just a slow cooker. It’s a great YOGURT maker, RICE cooker and BREAD ‘prover’.
  9. CATALYST FOR CHANGE – The Wonderbag Changes Lives. For every Wonderbag bought a donation is made to The Wonderbag Foundation who distribute Wonderbags to families in need in Africa who by using The Wonderbag more disposable income for education, better health, have more time with their families, are safer, use less fuel and forests grow back which all contributes to The Wonderbag Effect.
  10. GOODNESS IN A BAG: The Wonderbag is good to the environment and good to you.
Advantages of Wonderbag

• Cooks all day without being plugged in – completely worry free.
  • It can’t over-cook however long you leave it. If your plans change, the food can’t burn or dry out, simply let it cool and refrigerate. Or re-heat and serve.
  • Vegetables keep their form and are less mushy.
  • It's portable – you can take it with you and cook en route or you can deliver a piping hot meal to someone else without using an energy source when you arrive.
  • It doubles up as a cooler box.
  • No crust forms on top of the food.
  • Put straight on the table when entertaining. Enjoy the company of your guests and when it is time to eat, your table and meal are both ready and beautiful.
  • In a motorhome / caravan it doesn’t take up valuable locker space while replacing the cooler box and slow cooker.