Your favorite camping food... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Vivian, Your Welcome! Thank's for the feedback, I hadn't gotten a chance to try it. Yes the chocolate gravy I remember wasn't too sweet, it was a perfect combo.

Great idea of the electric skillet for biscuit baking while camping. So have you ever used the pre-mixed cheese cake mixture? How did it taste? Thanks again for the recipe feed back.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
We like cut up pieces of squash, onion, green peppers, orange peppers, fresh mushrooms, asparagus ( sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic, add a dot of butter and olive oil ) Cook in foil on the grill until tender.
Some people like to add cubes of fresh pineapple or just grill fresh pineapple-yum.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
So have you ever used the pre-mixed cheese cake mixture? How did it taste? Thanks again for the recipe feed back.
I haven't used the pre-mixed cheesecake mixture yet, but I will get some the next time I go to the store. I also love cheesecake. I also subscribe to the philosophy that life is uncertain...eat dessert first!

Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #24

Quote:
I also subscribe to the philosophy that life is uncertain...eat dessert first!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Vivian, you should rank right up there with the world's great philosophers!

Robin, I don't see any reason why you couldn't fry your cheesecake bites on a campstove. I found a cool little wok/skillet at Marshall's or TJ Maxx that I use at home and once in a while on the road. Because of the narrower bottom, it uses less oil, and gets hot pretty fast, but maintains a fairly even temp with the wok shape. Frying small items like battered shrimp in a few inches of oil is quick and easy, turning once.

If you don't like the premade cheesecake filling (and I've never seen or tried it), consider buying premade cheesecake on sale and cutting it up in cubes. Your treats could be premade and frozen. Because of their fat content (dare I say it?) they'll freeze well for a year or so in most freezers if sealed well in ziplocs, doing the IQF thing on a tray first so they won't stick together.

I guess this method would work best for me, or I'd probably eat all the cheesecake before I could try it in the fryer, otherwise!

Sherry

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Another question, has anyone ever tried the cheese cake filling that is pre-made? I make cheese cake all the time but make it from scratch so I have never tasted the pre-made and was wonder how it taste? Reason I ask is a few weeks ago I was out Christmas shopping and got thristy, so decided to pull into del taco for a coke, of course the lady on the other end of the speaker offered me an up sale, they had a new snack size fried cheese cake, Would I like to try it? Oh what the heck, if I remember correctly it comes in two size offerings, one being 2pc, the other being a 5 pc. I ordered the 2pc (with the intention of taking 1 to my Mom who loves cheese cake) [b]Well, let me tell you, the second cheese cake snack didn't have a chance on making it home. It was soooooooooo flippen good, I scarfed up both and thought twice about going back for another order .................... So it got me to thinking could I make this type of dessert while camping? All it really is, is a wonton wrapper, cream cheese filling with dollup a carmel surup rolled up and fried like an egg roll. But I wouldn't want to go thru the process of making my from scratch filling, but thought about the pre-made filling and wondered how it taste? And do you think I could get a skillet of oil hot enough to cook over a camp stove? Robin
Well, I finally made these! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!

While shopping last week, I bought the pre-made cheese cake filling (comes in a tub like cool whip) hadn't gotten a chance to make them, but last night I made them. My Mom who is a whopping size 0 has been on a sweets kick , so I thought I would make her a guinea pig, she loved them. I do think I will pull out the wok as Sherry suggested as to get more even browning.

Egg Roll wraps
Philadelphia Cream Cheese pre-made Cheese cake filling
and caramel ice cream topping.

Lay out the egg roll, large spoon full of cream cheese filling spread out over the egg roll wrap and a dollop of caramel, roll up and fry till brown. Place on paper towel to absorb oil, and lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar .........