Your favorite camping food... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
... I have to list here the smores, and a meal cooked over the fire:

Potatoes, pork or beef, some salt, onions, olive oil, herbs. All wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked over the fire, yummm!
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I can't post a favorite yet, but I have recently aquired a dutch oven and am looking forward to using it over an open fire!
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Pizza in a pie iron
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp9e015135_0f.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	24672

Butter 2 slices of bread on each side .
Place 1 slice in pie iron.
Add cheese, meat, or anything else you like.
Place last slice of bread on top.
Close pie iron .
Cook over a fire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yum.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	24673

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Nothing like a Juicy Rib Eye and some yummy Ranch Beans............................. Dang, if it wasn't snowing like crazy I just might have had to fire up the grill.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Nothing like a Juicy Rib Eye and some yummy Ranch Beans............................. Dang, if it wasn't snowing like crazy I just might have had to fire up the grill.
....same here, eggsept I'd go for 'Jack n Beans' (Jack Daniels soaked beans) with about a 2 in thick steak (of almost any variety)!!
Attached Thumbnails
BCHRA_Banquet1.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
....same here, eggsept I'd go for 'Jack n Beans' (Jack Daniels soaked beans) with about a 2 in thick steak (of almost any variety)!!
Ok, are jack beans like baked with JD? I am not a big baked bean person, but Dh love's them. I am more of a spicy kinda bean.

Yep the steak has got to be thick! Can't hang with those lil thin steaks that cook in 2.2 seconds and are tough as a boot......
Old 10-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We love just about anything cooked over a wood fire.... pie iron pizza, marinated flank steak or pork chops... late night snack for my husband is a Sahlen's hotdog over the last of the hot coals.
My friend Lois spoiled him this summer with wood coal Dutch oven cooking. The biscuits and gravy in the morning were probably his favorite meal!
We dragged the grill around all summer, and used it a handful of times when the downpours just didn't make it fun to try to start a fire in the rain.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #8

Quote:
late night snack for my husband is a Sahlen's hotdog over the last of the hot coals.

[b]A hot dog wouldn't be my late night snack, cause if I ate a hot dog before bed time, Rolaids would be the last snack for me.

The biscuits and gravy in the morning were probably his favorite meal!

Sherry
[b]Yummmmmmmmmmy!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Wohoo, that is what I hoped when starting this thread: New ideas coming to me...... I just LOVE the idea of a pizza iron, and I also should revisit good 'ole BBQ again, yummmmmoooo!
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
.........."The biscuits and gravy in the morning were probably his favorite meal!"
.....ohhh, don't get me started on biscuits n grabby!!! This I believe is an American treat!!
PITY, eh?? It's one of my all time 'breakfast buffet" treats. I can hear my arteries hardening up just thinking of them. I have only tried one time to make some up here in Canada (not on a BBQ/Campstove) with relative success!!

MAYBE I need to try making them on this BQ???
Attached Thumbnails
BBQ.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #11

Ok, while the biscuit's and gravy topic is going, I have a question. Now don't get me wrong, I Love, Love, Love biscuits and gravy. ( my Grandma, may she rest in peace, made the best I have ever eaten. She could cook up a mess of Frog Legs and biscuits and gravy to rival any Top Chef)

I make pretty good gravy myself, but one gravy no one in my family has even ever heard of other than me talk about it was Chocolate Gravy served over Biscuits. I am talking YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY! In my early 20's I had a friend who's Mom invited me for breakfast one morning after we had been out party'en all night ( and it wasn't just good cause I was hungover, cause I had it many more times through out my 20's) and she served Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy. I can't tell you how good they were. I was just wondering if anyone has a recipe? I would love to make it. I wished that I hadn't been a 20 year old party girl and thought to ask for the recipe ( my friend and her Mom have both passed, so the recipe is gone) Has anyone else ever ate Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy? It's just something you gotta try.............
Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Oh-ho, those references to "Biscuits with Chocolate Gravy" made me really curious (and HUNGRY!). When I was a 'city girl' if anyone had told me B&G would become one of my favs, I would have said they were crazy but ... they'd have been right! So, I did a search and found LOTS of recipes links for this dish, including one from Paula Deen. When I get to daughter's place for Christmas (we have no oven) I'll be trying some of these recipes - sounds like fun. Happy calories - LdB
Old 10-31-2009, 01:49 AM   #13

Leslie, after I posted this, I thought, hmmmm I wonder? So I googled it and I to found some recipes but wonder which one to try. I didn't run across the Paula one, I found others that ranged from what I would say I don't know to hmmmmm maybe this is it. All I know is my friends Mom's Chocolate Gravy was just like gravy but chocolate. Some of the recipes sound more like pudding so I don't know. I guess I will have to try a few to see which would bring back that wonderful memory and satisfy 25 years of craving it. LOL................. You say you don't have an oven, but do you have a toaster oven? Cause they have those biscuits that are frozen and you just heat and serve and they are really pretty good. Or there is always KFC biscuits! LOL....
Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Paula Deen's Chocolate Gray and Biscuits recipe

Somehow this sounds more like dessert and less like breakfast... works for me!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #15

Donna, Thanks for the link.

I guess I am gonna just have to try recipes, cause the Chocolate Gravy of my youth was more like Gravy than a dessert. Not that I am opposed to dessert, just looking for that wonderful comfort food that I had the pleasure eating.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Robin - tried a cheepy toaster oven with nasty results. Then, I found a "WestBend Ovenette" to use on the cooktop. Still haven't tried it out yet, but hoping for good stuff. LdB
Old 11-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #17

Leslie, Do you have a crock pot? I made brownie's in a crock pot cause someone told me they baked a cake in one, so one year when we were wintering in Vegas I thought what the heck I will give it a try. They weren't bad! Where I goofed was not having enough "pam" in the crock pot before starting. So the worst part was getting it out then cleaning the crock pot. Can't remember how long I timed it. But remember just watching it and poking with a tooth pick till it came out clean. But again, not bad. Might try a cheap can of biscuits the first time to see how they come out. I also wonder if those crock pot liners would make it easier to just slip them out............... Good luck!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #18

Another question, has anyone ever tried the cheese cake filling that is pre-made? I make cheese cake all the time but make it from scratch so I have never tasted the pre-made and was wonder how it taste? Reason I ask is a few weeks ago I was out Christmas shopping and got thristy, so decided to pull into del taco for a coke, of course the lady on the other end of the speaker offered me an up sale, they had a new snack size fried cheese cake, Would I like to try it? Oh what the heck, if I remember correctly it comes in two size offerings, one being 2pc, the other being a 5 pc. I ordered the 2pc (with the intention of taking 1 to my Mom who loves cheese cake) Well, let me tell you, the second cheese cake snack didn't have a chance on making it home. It was soooooooooo flippen good, I scarfed up both and thought twice about going back for another order .................... So it got me to thinking could I make this type of dessert while camping? All it really is, is a wonton wrapper, cream cheese filling with dollup a carmel surup rolled up and fried like an egg roll. But I wouldn't want to go thru the process of making my from scratch filling, but thought about the pre-made filling and wondered how it taste? And do you think I could get a skillet of oil hot enough to cook over a camp stove? Robin
Old 11-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
We have used an electric skillet to bake refrigerated tube biscuits with good success. It takes a little experimenting to find the right temperature and timing so they are not doughy, but they are pretty good.

An electric skillet might also work to fry the cheesecakes since the oil temperature can be controlled. Of course, that eliminates the outdoors-over-the-fire feature which is part of the fun of cooking.

Donna, thanks for the link to Paula Deen's chocolate gravy which sounds like chocolate sauce, but I plan to try it and will report the results.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
The biscuits and chocolate gravy were unbelievably delicious! I was really skeptical about the combination, but it is excellent. The Paula Deen recipe makes plenty of gravy for 8 biscuits, and is neither too sweet nor too choclatey...just right! Thanks, Robin, for the great idea.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote