Diesels stink! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Diesels stink!

.....at least the ones we followed the other day.

Headed into town and followed an old Mercedes diesel wagon. BO!

Then on the way home we got behind a VW TDI. Same bad smell and fumes.

As far as diesels go they are not popular in these parts. You rarely see one in a pick up.

One the bright side I recall following a new Mercedes Blue Tec not long ago and there was no bad smells. Thinking the new technology has solved the old diesel fume problems.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Down here, as far as I know the new diesel cars/trucks do not have the typical stink and they are quieter as well. They inject urea into the catalytic to clean up the exhaust. Some other people may know more about it. I do not understand why they are not getting more popular here. I bet it is something about how the fuel is taxed.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Urea: the reason why you have cat litter......
Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Diesels stink!

Age & maintenance? I've driven behind some pretty foul-smelling gasoline-powered vehicles, too.

As to why they aren't more popular... higher purchase cost, higher maintenance costs, higher fuel prices? The math seems like it would only make sense for people who do a lot of heavy towing or long-distance miles.

The diesel fuel pump went out on my friend's daughter's VW TDI: $3000.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Gee, and peeps wonder why there are now emission standards for diesels..
Real smelly or smoky diesels are usually the result of poor maintenance. MB Diesel owners with 450,000 miles on the clock just don't want to spend the $750+ for new injectors

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
And the stink of diesel fuel on your hands after filling up. Stays with you all day.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Age & maintenance? I've driven behind some pretty foul-smelling gasoline-powered vehicles, too.

As to why they aren't more popular... higher purchase cost, higher maintenance costs, higher fuel prices? The math seems like it would only make sense for people who do a lot of heavy towing or long-distance miles.

The diesel fuel pump went out on my friend's daughter's VW TDI: $3000.
Totally agree with that first statement, poorly maintained gas vehicle can be really bad smelling too.

The VW reference would be similar even for their gas powered vehicles. While they do make some great vehicles, the maintenance costs are out of this world, with parts many, many times that of domestic or even Asian vehicles. My brother, and one close friend, each had VW Passat Wagons, and though they liked almost everything about them, due to the ridiculously high maintenance costs, and poor service and backup from VW, have both sworn to never buy another one. I have heard this sentiment from others too.

I have had a diesel pickup for 25 years now, from the first Dodge Ram that had the Cummins, to my last 3 Fords. These have been work trucks, and I have really appreciated the power for towing heavy trailers. The first two Fords had the Power Stroke, a late model "94, and a 2002. This was a great engine, a bit on the noisy side, and did smell pretty bad when first fired up, but once the engine was warmed, the smell disappeared. My 2012 F-350 has next to no odour at all from the exhaust, as is really quiet (for a diesel). The use of the DEF has made a huge difference, though is a bit of a pain to keep putting in, especially putting on lots of city miles, where lots of exhaust cleaning needs to be done.

Quote:
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is an emissions control liquid required by modern diesel engines with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology. It is a non-hazardous solution of 32.5% urea in 67.5% de-ionized water. DEF is used with SCR technology to remove harmful Nitrogen Oxide emissions from diesel engines.

Diesel costs more because of the high demand for it, driven not by the consumer market, but the use by all the ships, farm equipment, military, trains, industrial and construction equipment, large trucks, etc. I still yearn for the days when it was a lot cheaper than gasoline, but I fear we will never see that again.

I believe that there is a fairly close trade off in purchase and maintenance costs, to the fact that diesel engines generally last way longer, and in my experience have required less maintenance. Besides, I have liked having the smooth, strong towing power they offered.

When I retire, and will sell my big diesel, if I could find the right SMALL diesel pickup/SUV to tow my FG trailer, I would be strongly considering it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
And the stink of diesel fuel on your hands after filling up. Stays with you all day.
I have completely eliminated this issue, by not getting it on my hands when I refuel. Or, if I do (like can when filling the skid steer from cans), soap and water washes it right away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote