Freaking Cold - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #41

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
We have the equipment to handle the snow as well as plenty of experience, still doesn't stop the grocery stores and gas stations from being mobbed the day before a projected storm. I suppose looking at it optimistically, the grocery might fill up with folks who usually shop on the day or 2 when there will be snow, so maybe you get 3 days worth of folks in one day. Visit the gas station for the extra weight, many filling gas cans for the blowers, and every truck with a plow is there too. I'd blame it on the 7 or so days without power from the Oct of 2011 blizzard, but folks were like this before that. Now thee are just 10 times the generators. Other then those guesses, I have no idea why people do what they do.

Conrad, we got to -11.
-11 is pretty cold. Where in Mass are you? Western?

I routinely fill up everything before I storm. That last big one we needed the tractor and it was out. I now have a few 6 gallon jugs filled with diesel too.

I didn't think we needed it but it is better to be safe the sorry.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #42

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Steve, I used to wonder about that too, the same with schools closing down after what we would consider a skiff of snow. One thing I found out, is many of these places do not have the equipment to deal with this type of bad weather for one. Plus, they often end up dealing with way more icing which makes roads treacherous. Others in the area could likely provide better details.

I remember a few years ago when Las Vegas (yeah, not east coast) had a 4-6" snowfall, it shut the airport down for a day or so. I was kinda gobstruck, thinking that is nothing, until a local told me that they do not have a single vehicle set up for snow removal, and had to wait for it to melt.

A lot of it comes down to what you are used to dealing with. For us in Calgary, we have just about seen it all. Well, except tropical heat waves, that is.
How well insulated is your Escape? What are the coldest temps tha you have camper in?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #43

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
How well insulated is your Escape? What are the coldest temps tha you have camper in?
I have never winter camped in it yet, but would imagine it would be quite doable around -20°C (-4°F), as I do have the extra layer of insulation and dual glazed windows. It would depend mostly on how much heat the furnace could put out too, as I would need to drive condensation out.

I have camped without it winterized down to -8°C, with no problems at all. Daytime temps these times always did come above freezing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #44

Connecticut
Quote:
I have never winter camped in it yet, but would imagine it would be quite doable around -20°C (-4°F), as I do have the extra layer of insulation and dual glazed windows. It would depend mostly on how much heat the furnace could put out too, as I would need to drive condensation out.

I have camped without it winterized down to -8°C, with no problems at all. Daytime temps these times always did come above freezing.
What do you use for heat? Furnace or catalytic? Do you have any I sign on power demand to run a furnace at those temps?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Cold Versus Hot

Quote:
Steve, I used to wonder about that too, the same with schools closing down after what we would consider a skiff of snow. One thing I found out, is many of these places do not have the equipment to deal with this type of bad weather for one. Plus, they often end up dealing with way more icing which makes roads treacherous. Others in the area could likely provide better details.

I remember a few years ago when Las Vegas (yeah, not east coast) had a 4-6" snowfall, it shut the airport down for a day or so. I was kinda gobstruck, thinking that is nothing, until a local told me that they do not have a single vehicle set up for snow removal, and had to wait for it to melt.

A lot of it comes down to what you are used to dealing with. For us in Calgary, we have just about seen it all. Well, except tropical heat waves, that is.
I worked 40+ years in construction ,mostly working outdoors I find cold weather more of a nuisance but I find hot weather really annoying . I would gladly take a sunny 20 deg day in the winter over a 80 or 90 deg day with 50% humidity in the summer . Statistically heat kills far more people than the cold . Thank God we have the proper road equipment for our climate cause if we cleaned our roads by waiting for the snow to melt ,I would be trapped at home half the year
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #46

Connecticut
[QUOTE=steve dunham;436204]
Quote:

Here we have great snow removal. Still school plan for so many snow days and if we do they them, they look for excuses to call a day off. Rarely, they do use up all the planed days and that cuts into scheduled breaks which happened a few years back. I was surprised that schools were canceled. I plowed and finished my route in close to record time. There was not much snow.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #47

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Here we have great snow removal. Still school plan for so many snow days and if we do they them, they look for excuses to call a day off. Rarely, they do use up all the planed days and that cuts into scheduled breaks which happened a few years back. I was surprised that schools were canceled. I plowed and finished my route in close to record time. There was not much snow.
Even though our winters are quite severe by any standard, it is really uncommon to have the schools closed due to weather. When you live in a place where poor weather conditions are common, people seem to be much better equipped to deal with it as a normal occurrence.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #48

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Dave, what sort of humidity levels do you have at these temps? I was wondering if humidity (water vapor) is a significant factor for low temperatures. Water vapor is a much more significant greenhouse gas compared to the much hyped CO2. I just can't see temps getting extremely cold without low humidity. Here in Connecticut humidity levels are probably higher due to our proximity to the ocean.
The relative humidity throughout much of Alberta is actually quite low most of the time. With natural gas forced air furnace going all winter, you need to have a humidifier going to keep the humidity at comfortable levels in your home.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I worked 40+ years in construction ,mostly working outdoors I find cold weather more of a nuisance but I find hot weather really annoying . I would gladly take a sunny 20 deg day in the winter over a 80 or 90 deg day with 50% humidity in the summer . Statistically heat kills far more people than the cold . Thank God we have the proper road equipment for our climate cause if we cleaned our roads by waiting for the snow to melt ,I would be trapped at home half the year
I too prefer colder temps to work in, than hot weather. Hot weather just drains my energy too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Even though our winters are quite severe by any standard, it is really uncommon to have the schools closed due to weather. When you live in a place where poor weather conditions are common, people seem to be much better equipped to deal with it as a normal occurrence.
Here in Calgary, they never close. Even in small communities it is rare to hear of closures, though some rural kids often can't make it in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #50

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
-11 is pretty cold. Where in Mass are you? Western?
Southwick, just west of Springfield,
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #51

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Acorn
Wisconsin
All I can add is that this is the earliest that I've ever had cabin fever . . . watching the snow (again) and waiting for the subzero temps . . . after putting a larger heat bulb in the chicken house - it's a delicate balance between making it too warm, not warm enough, or frying my little hens - I walked into the barn and just stared at our little Acorn . . . I cannot wait for it to be at least warm enough to do some work on her before camping.
NancyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #52

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
It was -7 degrees F. here in Sanborn, NY yesterday (near Niagara Falls). My truck died at WalMart, and AAA said they had a 12 hour turn around time for a jump or tow. Thank heavens my son is a volunteer firefighter...he called up one of his buddies and away we went!
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #53

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
-7 C here in Kingston NS - feeling balmy after our few days of -19 C. However, we are promised temps of +9 C next week - now THAT will feel like Spring!!!! Too bad my trailer is parked inside a building with snow and ice build up such that I cannot open the doors - just bought it this past October so am anxious to get to it for renos.
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #54

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is 9 here in York and it is not expected to get any higher, think I'll try to sleep in BJ tonite and try out the new electric furnace.
just a reminder to unhook your water hose.
Out on the Left Coast it was 41 high and low tonight 29.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #55

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Out on the Left Coast
Chuck
Left where?

I wonder about the above term every time I see it here and have wanted to ask this question for a long time. This seems like as good a thread as any...?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #56

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Chuck is in the Pacific NorthWET.. the left coast. Which is different than the folks on the other end of the US that consider themselves on the "Right" coast
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #57

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Those of us in the middle are in the right place...............LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #58

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Out on the Left Coast
Chuck
Left where?

I wonder about the above term every time I see it here and have wanted to ask this question for a long time. This seems like as good a thread as any...?
It is a reference to the liberal politics found in California.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #59

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Those of us in the middle are in the right place...............LOL
I find it a blessing that the majority of Americans live within 100 miles of either coast . It leaves middle America for us to enjoy
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #60

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Snowed last night and today.
-9* F. chill factor 25mph winds
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote