On Buying & Selling FGRS's and Stuff..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
On Buying & Selling FGRS's and Stuff.....

This is only funny when it happens to someone else....
Early in the year we bought a 13' SCAMP, w/ bath...
About two months ago we ordered a cover for it on eBay.
S.O. thought it to cramped inside (because of the front bath) so we put up for sale.
The new cover arrived, so we stored it in the garage, unopened.
Just about the time we were about to give up on selling the SCAMP, a buyer appears and buys the SCAMP, but didn't want the cover, he has a RV carport.
Listed the still NBO (Never Been Opened) cover here and on Craigs list, no bites for 3 weeks.
Saturday I get a call, guy comes over 30 minutes later and pays cash on the spot, takes the cover, every one is happy (for now)
3 Hours later we are told that the 17.5' BigFoot we were to look at the next day is sold before we get a chance to steal it ourselves.
10 hours later a 13' BigFoot is advertised locally on C/L, we are the first to look, s.o. likes it, and we "steal" that one for well under sellers asking price and leave a $300 deposit for Monday morning pick-up & pay.
Monday morning the seller offers us $500 back to NOT buy it (as he has several buyers willing to pay over asking price). We decline and take it home.
But now we have to buy another 13' cover !!!!!!

Best Part, we found an honest seller.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Congratulations, Bob! Great story!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well done Bob! You got a deal! but to bad you dont have the cover any more! but you cant have it all!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
It's really nice to hear when people honor their agreements as that seller did.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
That's a great story. You sure don't find many sellers as honest as that one,what a breath of fresh air. At least you now have a neat little trailer and a bit of time to get another new cover!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Had something similar happen. Two friends were moving out of the country and decided it was cheaper to sell their stuff here and buy new there. We always admired their furniture and such so bought quite a bit at a reasonable price. We even made out that they we wouldn't take it until they moved some time hence.
Well in the meantime, other persons told the wife that they sold the stuff too cheap and that they would have been willing to pay more for it. The wife got upset, but the husband luckily stuck by our bargin.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
"Well in the meantime, other persons told the wife that they sold the stuff too cheap and that they would have been willing to pay more for it. The wife got upset"

I had the same thing happen with some wrought iron patio furniture. I didn't really need it but thought I'd help out and made a friend/neighbor an offer and he accepted it. Then his wife had a "busy body" friend who was supposedly an antique expert tell her that I was ripping them off. When this was mentioned to me I told him to go ahead and sell it elsewhere. The day before they left I saw them load it all up and haul it to goodwill. Good riddance!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #8

The above is why it's always, always. always a good idea to get a written receipt for deposits and/or payment. By law (at least in CA), a deposit, as long as the terms of the agreement are met, is considered a lien on ownership.

I once sent a $500 deposit for a Toyota motorhome near St Louis. The seller accepted my offer and we set a date for final payment and pick-up. I had him send me an email detailing the agreement and had proof that he had accepted the deposit into his PayPal account. Two weeks later, and three days before I was supposed to fly to St Louis to pay for and pick up the motorhome, I got an email that he was cancelling the sale (no reason given) and had already transferred the deposit back into my paypal account. I sent several emails, and called the seller several times, to ask that he at least pay me for my non-refundable airfare ticket and got no response.

So, I contacted an atty through legal aide in St Louis, explained the situation, sent him copies of the agreements and he sent the seller a letter demanding $5000 for damages, lost time, airfare penalties, possible fraudlent interstate business transactions, legal costs, etc. etc. The letter cost $175, the sellers atty (?) offered $2000 to stay out of court. Deal..... Never did find out what happened to the motorhome.

Those that read my earlier tale about going to Phoenix to get a SCAMP, only to have it sold out from under us 15 minutes before arrival, know why I always insist on sending a deposit first. In the case of the SCAMP, the seller didn't even know what PayPal was about, so we just junped into the CR-V and headed for Phoenix, only to return empty handed and about $200, for expenses, poorer.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Early in the year we bought a 13' SCAMP, w/ bath...

S.O. thought it too cramped inside
(because of the front bath) so we put up for sale.

a buyer appears and buys the SCAMP

later a 13' BigFoot is advertised locally on C/L, we are the first to look, s.o. likes it
So, the Scamp was too small only because of the bathroom?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #10

RE: SCAMP w/Loo Size

Yep, my s.o. felt very cramped with the front bath, basically there is no place to be at except in the somewhat cramped dinette. And, without a shower etc, dedicating that much space to a loo seemed a waste to us. But the couple that bought it from us wouldn't buy a SCAMP without the bathroom.

She is uber happy with the Bigfoot with the front couch/bunks, and I am happy because the Lil' Bigfoot seems to be a somewhat better build.

We got a mid sized Bi-Pot (3.5 gallon holding tank) that fits under the couch by 1/4", added a pair of glass front IKEA drawers and a storage cubby with an access door to the left end and all is well.

But we will be at the Lake Casitas event with the Hunter C-II