Oreo Cookies to be banned in California - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2003, 03:52 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Oreo Cookies to be banned in California

Oreo cookies should be banned from sale to children in California, according to a lawsuit filed by a San Francisco attorney who claims that trans fat -- the stuff that makes the chocolate cookies crisp and their filling creamy -- is so dangerous children shouldn't eat it.

The suit, the first of its kind in the country, asks for an injunction ordering Kraft Foods to desist from selling Nabisco Oreo Cookies to children in California, because the cookies are made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, also called trans fat.

State Sen. Debra Bowen, a leader in state nutrition-reform legislation, called Joseph's choice of the California product liability law to go after food makers who use trans fat a unique approach.

"Anything that brings people's attention to how dangerous and unhealthy trans fat can be is probably a good idea..."

------------

I can see it now ... if this suit is successful, there will be a black market for Oreo Cookies.

People will be smuggling trailer-loads of Oreo's into the state.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:15 PM   #2

Pot, booze, smokes, coffee, McDonalds hamburgers, Oreo cookies....... where does the Health Nazi (HN) crusade lead to? ..........

Right through my trailer doorstep and directly into my pocketbook, maybe yours too.

Perhaps twinkies will be next, there's gotta be some really bad stuff in them suckers. Enough preservatives to ward off old age.

Remember that EGGS got a bum wrap. The goodness has been restored to the term "good egg" by devine intervention though. Will fiberglass be the next HN campaign after asbestos?

Is there going to be bumper stickers that say: "
When EGGS are outlawed only outlaws will have EGGS"!

Consenting Sex should be a double felony, not just a mis-de-meaner, because sex makes people (in most places other than San Francisco) and people are the root cause of pollution.

Oh well, so much for the venting rant... I gotta hurry and go to the grocery store to horde some oreos... especially those big fat double stuffed ones.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:07 AM   #3

Eggs

On Eggs
(on reading an article in the newspaper about cholesterol in eggs)

I find myself in a sticky wicket
for eggs to me are just the ticket.
I like them boiled,
I like them fried.
I like the yoke that?s hid inside.
On Easter I like to see them dyed
I like them mixed up in a custard,
or in the den with Colonel Mustard
I like the large ones in a stew;
I like the bite size small ones too.
I love them when they?re Benedict
and make quite sure my plate is licked.
In every way they can?t be beat;
For me an egg is the ultimate treat.

Lep 1995

Old 05-15-2003, 03:32 AM   #4

Eggs Again

On Eggs (Again)
(on reading an article in the newspaper
that says eggs aren't bad after all)

Well...now they say that eggs are good
Deep down inside, I knew they would.
It makes me sick, it makes me mad
to think of the eggs I could have had
Instead of stuff made from soybean shoots
and other tasteless substitutes.
Instead of slimey oatmeal cakes.
Instead of diet breakfast shakes.
Instead of sliced fried cream of wheat,
Mixed with some strange mystery meat
Flakey corn and puffed up rice,
that look like droppings left by mice.
I ate all these things, you see
'Cause they were sposed to be good for me
and now they say that all along
They weren't right; they got it wrong.
Well I'm just glad I lived to see
That eating eggs is good for me.
And I will eat an egg a day
until the day I pass away.

Larry Page 1999

Old 07-06-2003, 07:24 PM   #5

hydrogenated vegetable oil

hydrogenated vegetable oils are bad. The good that might come out of the court action is publicity around it. Perhaps a few parents will think x2 before feeding any food containing hydrogenated vegetable oil to their children and themselves too often.

For fun when you go shopping read the labels and you will be surprised how often hydrogenated vegetable oil shows up. The literature is not kind.

Old 07-08-2003, 08:50 PM   #6

I may have to go get a bumpersticker printed that says"When Oreos are outlawed only outlaws will have Oreos"
I am becoming a little tired of some one deciding they are so very much smarter than me about what I should eat, or drink , or smoke, or do and passing a law to protect poor stupid little me from my own stupidity. Yes tell me what is in it, but then leave me alone with my own intelligence to decide what to do.
I do read the labels, and can make rational decisions, I don't need my own government treating me as if I were incompetent to even decide what to eat.
Sorry about the tirade, I just get fed up with the "Protect those stupider than us" laws and regulations we keep getting and need to blow off a little steam from time to time.

Old 07-08-2003, 09:38 PM   #7

>>need to blow off a little steam from time to time

:laugh But, Charlie, since this is the Jokes section, nobody will take it seriously! :jester

Old 07-09-2003, 06:42 AM   #8

I know Mary, but it helped. I woke up this morning in a much better mood, I don't know if it was the steam, or the pint of CherryGarcia that did it.

Old 07-09-2003, 02:13 PM   #9

Steam

CherryGarcia is so much better for you than those stinking Oreo's anyway. You are making better choices for yourself. As a kid I never liked Oreo's - too fake for me - and now we know why!! :wave

Old 07-10-2003, 03:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charlie Crouchet

I may have to go get a bumpersticker printed that says"When Oreos are outlawed only outlaws will have Oreos"
I am becoming a little tired of some one deciding they are so very much smarter than me about what I should eat, or drink , or smoke, or do and passing a law to protect poor stupid little me from my own stupidity. Yes tell me what is in it, but then leave me alone with my own intelligence to decide what to do.
I do read the labels, and can make rational decisions, I don't need my own government treating me as if I were incompetent to even decide what to eat.
Sorry about the tirade, I just get fed up with the "Protect those stupider than us" laws and regulations we keep getting and need to blow off a little steam from time to time.
Sounds good to me.:wave

Old 07-10-2003, 08:45 AM   #11

wound up

Personaly I have never felt that the Protect those stupider than us laws have ever broken my stride. I've always been able to make my own decisions regardless.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charlie Crouchet
Here, Here, (have you been talking to my Tom? this is his main gripe. Like protecting the rest of us because someone else was really stupid.)

Old 07-18-2003, 11:25 AM   #13

what an interesting language we have! "Here, here" means "I agree", but "there, there" means "Settle down". Go figure.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #14

Liberty & Safety

Some curmudgeons (could I be one of those?) say that a liberal is someone who thinks he/she knows so much better than they what the rabble ought to be doing with their lives.

Washington, Franklin, Jefferson and those dudes would revolve in their graves at warp speed if they could see us now. They fought to give us liberty, if we could keep it, but they left the issue of safety up to us.

I particularly love the gov-think about airplanes: "We think it's very dangerous to fly with all these terrorists around, so we're going to completely disarm all of you so a guy with a box cutter can be king."

Old 07-18-2003, 01:00 PM   #15

:yep Yep, Robert, and that's why we have Cherry Garcia ice cream.

:jester

Old 07-27-2003, 11:37 PM   #16

Outlawing not the point

I'd like to see manufacturer's start to take responsibility for the foods they create. I love Oreos. I really do. I also have a cholesterol level equivalent to that found in grizzly bears. So, I avoid Oreos and such.

Why can't they make more foods that are delicious AND less likely to kill us? Tasty foods can be made that are less dangerous than many of the foods we have to choose from now. Food kills more people than most of the other things we scream and yell about. Heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity are all traced to eating things that are unhealthy. I don't think we need to legislate it, but it does seem very strange to me. Walk into a grocery store or watch a few commercials. We are indundated with advertising for stuff that is basically designed to kill us slowly enough for the manufacturer to get rich first. Even more odd is the fact that much of it has misleading packaging that indicates that it is HEALTHY!

Take juice. Drinking juice is usually frowned on by nutritionists because most juices are basically fancy sugar. Empty calories. Sugars in juice cause obesity in kids (as does lack of exercise since it is no longer safe to make them go out and play all day!), sugary liquids contribute to obesity in adults and diabetes and heart disease and all of that. But the box yells "Full Day Supply of Vitamin C!" like it is going to save us from scurvy. Seems backwards to me. I don't think we all need to be eating carrots and tofu all the time. But it would be nice if we had more variety in healthy snack foods and more truth in labeling.

Old 07-28-2003, 06:33 PM   #17

Once in a while

Unfortunately, few take the words "in moderation" seriously. Most people could get away with eating a dozen Oreos..once in a great while. It's the daily ingestion of Oreo's that are going to GETCHA.

For me it's easy, I blame it all on the genes...mine are all recessive from my Mom and Dad...so I blame them!

PS: To all on the forum, please send me all your uneaten, unwanted Oreos...they're delicious with Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey!!!! And I promise to only eat them "once in a while.":p (While is in about 10 minutes.)

Old 07-28-2003, 07:14 PM   #18

>>in moderation

To me, that means only eating one "row" of Oreos ... at one sitting.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charles Watts

>>in moderation

To me, that means only eating one "row" of Oreos ... at one sitting.
Charles does that mean you have forsaken your maple cookies??:sad
awwwwww
Jean
from the land of the maple

Old 07-29-2003, 09:04 AM   #20

I do agree truth in labeling is a necessity. My objection is to being then told I am too stupid to make my own decision so "THEY" will protect me by removing my access to the product.
As for those products labeled "Healthy" I realized I always read the label with a serious doubt in my mind. I think this stems from noticing among other things the calorie count on a "low fat" yogert was tied to servings not total contents of the cup and one small cup held 3 servings.Thats about 3 heaping tablespoons per serving.
If you follow the Big Brother is going to protect your health for you to an admitted extreme you will be issued a Medical Card to be presented at the grocery check out detailing what you are allowed to buy, based on your state of health and weight.
But enough on the tirade this morning, it is beautiful today, and I am out in the country, planning to work a short while then GoFish all afternoon. :reyes