Sorry if I offend - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Sorry if I offend

In my story about how to control fires, it has been brought to my attention that when I mentioned we were a bunch of Indians it may have offended some.
Being 1/4 Cree, I should have known this.
It us just what my mom use to call us kids when we got going.
Sorry to all.
Gerry
Old 11-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Wow Thanks for the heads up. Like you I try not to be offensive and my mom used to tell us not to act like a bunch of wild Indians. The more I travel in the west and learn about the native Americans the more ashamed I am of how they were treated by our forefathers. I will try to be respectful in my references to native Americans as well as other races and gender groups. I hope they will respect my age and being vertically challenged.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
That's half the trouble with this country these days. Everybody is just too thin skinned and tries to be oh so politically correct to the point where you can't even have a little fun or tell a story without pissing somebody off. Get over yourselves. What a big deal over an innocuous phrase. I can tell you some stories about what we were called and what we called other people years ago. Having grown up in the 50's and 60's, life was a lot different then. And you know what? We all survived through it anyway.

We still have the Cleveland Indians and the Washington Redskins. WTH
Old 11-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
As part Shawnee and a tribal member, and someone who volunteers on the Lakota reservation every year, I am offended by the sports names. Try to address people with tribal names that the tribes call themselves. For example, Sioux is an offensive name given to the Lakota by the Objibway and means snake. Indian is a name given by people who followed Christopher Columbus who stupidly thought he was in the West Indies.

Thank you for addressing this issue, Gerry.

CindyL AKA Red Willow
Old 11-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
And then there are the.....

Dagos, wops,Jewops, Swaps, Wops, McWops, Spics,and Wopalocks and on and on. Immigrants all that built this country. It doesn't take long for us to forget where we came from or to remember the first peoples that were here for thousands of years before stumbled into this place.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
...Indian is a name given by people who followed Christopher Columbus who stupidly thought he was in the West Indies...
CindyL AKA Red Willow
Christopher Columbus was searching for a western trade route to India since, after the fall of Constantinople to the Turks in 1453, Europeans had lost their overland/Eurasian route. So, he sails West and first makes landfall on San Salvador, an island in the Bahamas in the area that we today call the West Indies. There he meets the native inhabitants -- who likewise have no idea either Europe or India exist -- and, thinking that he has actually reached his intended destination of India, calls them Indians.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Which begs the question, why is there Columbus Day? He wasn't the first European to arrive in North America.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
For example, Sioux is an offensive name given to the Lakota by the Objibway and means snake.

CindyL AKA Red Willow
So, I guess what you're saying here is that the different Native American tribes were already "dissing" each other, (without any outside help,) long before we foreigners arrived here in the "New World," but no body else can join the fun?

I do have to agree that Columbus was a joke. The history books say he supposedly "discovered" this new land, but it fails to mention that the continent was already inhabited, (by people from India no less,) but what about the well over 1,000,000 indigenous people that were already here when he arrived. He "discovered" America? Right...
Old 11-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #9

Registry
Actually, yes the tribes fought each other, the same way European countries were fighting one another.

The Redskin term to Native Americans is like the N word to African Americans. It also refers to a Native American scalp. The English immigrants were the first to scalp, not the natives, and paid for their scalps. Hence, the origin of the word. Would you not find that offensive?

What is most offensive to me about Cleveland Indians is their mascot. My children went to a school that had a similar mascot that they changed to something that was not offensive.

There are a lot of offensive Caucasian nicknames too. I also have Czech ancestry. They are not referred to respectfully either in my experience.

CindyL
Old 11-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
To be intentionally offensive is one thing.
To seek to be offended is offensive to reason.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Which begs the question, why is there Columbus Day? He wasn't the first European to arrive in North America.
It only became a holiday in 1937.

CindyL
Old 11-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
It only became a holiday in 1937.

CindyL
Which begs the question...is that when the first mall opened?
Old 11-30-2016, 11:32 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Which begs the question...is that when the first mall opened?
We were in Canada fishing and needed some liquid supplies so we decided to drive the 50 miles to a small town.. When we got to the small town it was basically deserted and all the stores were closed.
We finally found a local resident and asked why everything was closed . His answer was "It's the Queens Holiday " and then he went on to say " In Canada holidays are a day to spend time with family , in the US it's an excuse to hold a sale and go shopping "
Over 30 years later his words are truer now than ever.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
To be intentionally offensive is one thing.
To seek to be offended is offensive to reason.
Well said!
Obsessing with only the bad stuff from our past is deplorable. I am a "Bona Fide Certified Czech" and if somebody calls me a bohunk, I could not care less. I'll get past the words and recognize if it was meant as an insult, or not.
Closed Thread