Wishing we lived in a warmer climate - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Exchange rate

According to the Bank of Canada as,of noon today the exchange rate is One (1) US dollar equals 1.14 CDN dollars or One (1) Canadian dollar equals 88 Cents US
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Please keep the discussion weather related. Should we have to clean up any more posts with political comments in them, this thread will be closed. Thanks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #43

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
All jokes aside, those of us in the tourist states do appreciate all of you who bring your dollars to our states. Here in my county, the local economy really drops when tourist visits drop.
Hopefully, even if the Canadian dollar is down a bit, it still goes a little farther once you get here. Gas was $2.65 (regular) when I filled my Silverado this afternoon in Pinellas county. It was about the same most of this last trip in Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. A bit higher in North Carolina. Gas Buddy is my friend.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #44
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
They got over 5 feet of snow around Buffalo N.Y. and more coming.

Deadly western New York snowstorm to get second wind | Reuters
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have a buddy who grew up in the UP of Michigan . He showed us a picture of snow piled up to the bottom of the second story windows on his childhood home . He would jump out of the window on a sled and slide out to the street . It sure looked like a lot of fun.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #46

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I was out putting some shingles on a shed, all I can say is I was NOT out there for very long and had no problem determining if my shirt had come untucked.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #47
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Roger, I was in the same boat yesterday. Went out side to use the wet saw to cut some tiles for our current bathroom reno project. The water in the pan was frozen and I almost froze my fingers off the 20 minutes I was out there.
Attached Thumbnails
tile saw 004.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Roger, I was in the same boat yesterday. Went out side to use the wet saw to cut some tiles for our current bathroom reno project. The water in the pan was frozen and I almost froze my fingers off the 20 minutes I was out there.
Two 5 gal buckets, one with HOT water to pump from, the other to catch the water from the drain. I have done this many times.

But now, I broke down and bought a tile tent to use that covers my wet saws on 5 sides, and half the front. I can use this right in the house.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #49

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
I thought I had it bad not being able to wear a glove on the hand that was holding the nails. At least that hand was not getting WET and I could slip the glove back on each time I finished a row and was setting out more shingles.

Yep us folks from the great white north may complain about the cold but it seems we are pretty stubborn about that cold not stopping us

Aint really cold till you see a male husky frozen to a fire hydrant with a leg in the air.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #50

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Certainly the warmth of Florida, if not the absolute temperature at least the relative temperature, is reason enough to be in Florida in the winter.

There is another reason for Florida in the winter, its fresh fruits and vegetables. Yesterday I picked a couple of oranges and a lemon off neighbor's trees and fresh watermelon were delivered to the clubhouse.

There's a local gentleman, 92 year old Vinny, who brings our park fresh vegetables, expecting only a hug from women in return. He says the hugs keep him alive. Yesterday it was cukes, cherry tomatoes and watermelon.

I'm always amazed by the wide spectrum of items grown in FL, fruits and vegetables that I thought were reserved for cooler climates like blueberries and potatoes. In another 30 days we'll be picking our own strawberries.

There's still plenty of room for people in FL. We live in a relatively un-populated section.

I read an article yesterday where Paul Ehrlich, Stanford professor, known for his book the Population Bomb. His famous book predicted the collapse of society by the year 2000 due to over population (he's another failed doomsday predictor).

In the article he stated that only 3% of the land area of the world is populated. He mentioned that you can walk from a boreal forest just north of Winnipeg well into Russia with out seeing another human being.

I don't know how the 3% is calculated. When I travel Newfoundland, Labrador and Quebec, most of it was un-populated.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #51

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
As I posted another time, I am always impressed how many improvements are made to our campers, especially making them ready for all kinds of contingencies that come along the way, weatherwise or climatewise.

Every era has its doomsayers. A global warming believer once told me that climate forecasting is actually easier than weather forecasting - how so? I am sure he is now a climate change believer, but so am I. It is always changing. I feel sorry for the climate scientists. I heard that their science is complete, definitive and finished.

We only have a dusting of snow in central VT, but it has been pretty cold the last few nights, around 20F. They must be making a ton of snow on the ski trails.

I like Vinny's recipe for longevity...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #52

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
Quote:
I mowed the lawn 4 days ago and woke up to this yesterday morning. Does anyone else have the desire to live in a warmer place?

One of the warmer area's in Canada is the Okanagan Valley. Been there a few times and it is a very nice place. Hummmmmm.

The Okanagan is getting snow right now as well. Better to be in Vancouver or Victoria if you want to stay away from the snow in Canada. Just have to like a little rain instead.
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #53

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Speaking of "snowbirds"...
photos of snowgeese migrating from Canada through Gray Lodge Wilderness, California. Photos taken Friday and Saturday of last week, November 14 & 15, 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
gray lodge 005.jpg   gray lodge 020.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #54

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I like Vinny's recipe for longevity...
Vinny is a classic. Short a little stooped, walking with a cane, wonderfully wrinkled face always with a smile. I asked him where he gets all of the fruits and vegetables... from the packing houses. He's been bringing them for years here.

Definitely a special person.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #55
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
The Okanagan Valley gets winter just like you do.

Victoria & Vancouver are the only two places that winter normally misses in Canada and there are several year round RV parks.
Dan, the National Guard was just called in to help out with storm ravaged Buffalo. We live 40 minutes from there. Thinking the OK valley is a bit tamer.

But..... Florida would we a whole lot warmer.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #56
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Two 5 gal buckets, one with HOT water to pump from, the other to catch the water from the drain. I have done this many times.

But now, I broke down and bought a tile tent to use that covers my wet saws on 5 sides, and half the front. I can use this right in the house.
Jim, Roger... thnxs for the tips. A buddy at the coffee meet this AM suggested moving the wet saw to the basement. Place it on a tarp to catch any splashing.

OR.... wait til Sunday when the temp is supposed to go up to 12C. Now that would be the day to be outside.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #57

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
12C is night time temperature here in Ft Myers, FL... Daytime is 25C.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #58

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
12C is night time temperature here in Ft Myers, FL... Daytime is 25C.

And during the summer months it is brutally hot and excessively humid. Every location has its downside. All summer long I have to remind myself that during the winter months putting up with the summer will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #59

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
In summer it is humid in the morning, but the humidity falls to 50-60% in the afternoon, temperatures are around 90F. I used to live in New Jersey, we had 90F/90% all the day in the mid June-July.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #60

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Wishing we lived in a warmer climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
In summer it is humid in the morning, but the humidity falls to 50-60% in the afternoon, temperatures are around 90F. I used to live in New Jersey, we had 90F/90% all the day in the mid June-July.

I have not been anywhere in Florida, including Lee County, where the morning humidity is high but the afternoon humidity reaches a comfortable level, and I have lived and worked on the west coast of Florida since 1985. Perspiration soaks my clothing in the afternoon as well as the morning. And summer temperatures from Tampa south tend to be in the 92-95 range by 11:00 am and stay there until late afternoon. Overnight temperatures often hover around the mid 80s. So I will stand by my original assessment that summer in Florida equals oppressive heat and excessive humidity. If you want to be comfortable, you stay inside in the A/C in much the same way you stay inside up north in the winter. Furthermore, the sun seems to be much more intense in Florida that in the Northeast. I lived there until I was well into my 30s. I believe the MAJORITY of people who live here would say that Florida is not the most pleasant place to be in the summer. But some people are more tolerant of the heat than others, and may not find the summers here unbearable.
The joke is that Florida is "God's waiting room" due to all the retirees living here. In summer I would say it is more like Satan's abode.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV