BITCOIN MINER on this site?!? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
So what should the average comparative Luddite member here do to protect himself, if anything?

What can the site do to remedy the problem?

Could this be the cause of a slow CPU which requires a restart to get back to normal?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #22

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My Kaspersky keeps blocking it, its been doing this for the last couple of day's.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #23
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
My Kaspersky keeps blocking it, its been doing this for the last couple of day's.
We are actively looking at this - thanks for your patience.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #24

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks the message I get say's

Dangerous URL blocked.
URL listed in database of malicious ULR's
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
btw, that block of obfuscated code in my post #3 on this thread, I have no way of knowing if thats whats actually invoking the WebSocket calls to the .ru site or not, as the code is totally obfuscated.... makes it really hard to trace whats going on.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #26

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Interesting, John
My first reaction was to chuckle, thinking there are no coins to be mined here. But that isn't the point.

The point is to potentially use members processors remotely as part of a massive computing effort, perhaps without members knowing.

Is it possible? Some may recall SETI, Seti.org is a site that used to harness idle processing power from volunteers to Search Extra Terrestrial life - UFOs. SETI is still around, their focus seems to have shifted.

Some trojan viruses create massive computing power without users consent or knowledge. It is possible. It should be evaluated.
thats exactly what this trojan is doing... its using everyone's webbrowser to 'mine' some sort of cryptocurrency (bitcoin is only one of dozens of similar things) ...
Old 06-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Has anybody tried this malicious site running Linux? If the website tries to run executable code, either nothing happens or the browser usually freezes.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #28
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
We've located the issue and disabled the Registry display in the side bar for now. There appeared to be a malicious link that was exploiting CPUs (as speculated earlier on this thread). The link and associated flotsam has been removed.

There should be no issue at this point for local systems as the only purpose of the link to mine for bit coin by leveraging CPUs. After examining the link and associated information we are confident that nothing was downloaded to local systems and there was no access to member information or the sites database.

You can read more about crypto mining here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
Old 06-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #29

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
Has anybody tried this malicious site running Linux? If the website tries to run executable code, either nothing happens or the browser usually freezes.
It doesn't matter which OS do you run. I run Linux. The malicious code is javascript which is being executed by your web browser.It is OS-independent.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:25 AM   #30

Mid Left Coast
per the other thread on this, the 'house' has fixed the problem had something to do with the 'registry' sidebar, so they turned that off. so mitigations like blocking that qxxxxxxx.ru URL, probably not needed.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #31

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
My entire empire of 1 imaginary bitcoin for a trailer please.... /sarc if no one catches it/
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:00 AM   #32

Mid Left Coast
my older kid, a postgrad research assistant, has made a fair bit of money playing the coin market. he wasn't mining, he was doing arbitrage stuff, buying and selling positions. he pulled 4-5X his initial investment in cash when he got out.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
With the site fix, I can now use my MacBook Air laptop without frying my thighs.
Recently, it had gotten so hot that I would shut it down. Makes me wonder about damage to computers that are victims.

As for Bitcoin, I'd like to know how you can mine something that doesn't exist. Actually, no I don't want to know. Recent stories about how these "currencies" were manipulated to generate profits for some.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #34

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I reported this to the mods yesterday and said that I didn't have the same symptoms. Then I came to realize that it was running about 40% of my processor. Maybe my computer is one of the slower kids, like me?

I installed uBlock Origin on my desktop a few months ago. I was conflicted about this as ads are what pays for so the operation of many web sites. I have to say that this Chrome extension has done a really great job of corralling some of the most obnoxious ads.

Somewhat off-topic, I am one of the people that sends a few dollars to pay for Irfanview, MP3Tag, and Fiberglass-RV-for-sale before I even listed a trailer on their site; things like that. The Internet is not really free folks; that's why our information is now one of the primary products being marketed. I will posit that almost nothing costs so much as something billed as being "free".

End of lecture, TYVM.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
With the site fix, I can now use my MacBook Air laptop without frying my thighs.
Recently, it had gotten so hot that I would shut it down. Makes me wonder about damage to computers that are victims.
Macbook Pro here. Never had any issue like that with this site (or any other).
I figured this was a Windows thing...

Strange...!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Macbook Pro here. Never had any issue like that with this site (or any other).
I figured this was a Windows thing...

Strange...!
Nope. I've often had the cooling fans come on in my MacBookPro when here at Fiberglass RV for no apparent reason. Didn't happen today...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Fixed!

Same here with my MacBook Pro. It was a recent problem, and I had been using my mobile device via the app most of the time as a result.

It is now fixed, as reported by site admins elsewhere. All is back to normal on my Mac, too.

Quick response from the site team!!!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #38

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Bitcoin is not much different than the money in your wallet. Paper dollars only have value because we all agree that they do, and we trust the US government to back that up. Ever hear the expression about some failed country's money that it's not worth the paper it's printed on?

Most dollars that exist in the American economy do not exist as paper. The money in your checking account, savings account, the money you owe on your credit card, and the balance owed on your mortgage, as well as the money you consider equity used to exist as notations on a ledger sheet, and now only in a computer file.

Whether it's seashells, dollars, bitcoin, gold bars, or wampum, the value only exists because we believe -- and agree -- that it exists.

Without agreement on the value of a particular form of money, that money ceases to exist. In other words: all money is basically imaginary.
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
Bitcoin is not much different than the money in your wallet. Paper dollars only have value because we all agree that they do, and we trust the US government to back that up. Ever hear the expression about some failed country's money that it's not worth the paper it's printed on?

Most dollars that exist in the American economy do not exist as paper. The money in your checking account, savings account, the money you owe on your credit card, and the balance owed on your mortgage, as well as the money you consider equity used to exist as notations on a ledger sheet, and now only in a computer file.

Whether it's seashells, dollars, bitcoin, gold bars, or wampum, the value only exists because we believe -- and agree -- that it exists.

Without agreement on the value of a particular form of money, that money ceases to exist. In other words: all money is basically imaginary.
Shhhh. Don't stampede the herd.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #40

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Shhhh. Don't stampede the herd.
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote