Making FGRV a great place for everyone - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Forum Admin, News & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #21

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
A good move from what is already one of the best run forum sites on the internet. I'm not much of a 'joiner' (no facebook, twitter, youtube or other social media accts) and the main reason I joined FGRV was the informative, friendly atmosphere. Thanks to all who make it so!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Make it so!

Glad to hear it, always surprised at how accessible the moderators are here.

This site makes having a vintage FGRV possible for us...too many issues to know how to handle everything--the help received already has made a huge difference!

Thanks--
Kai in Seattle
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I (like most members) participate here to both teach and learn… to share knowledge. If I knew someone was doing something dangerous with their trailer, then (with the best intentions) I would try to advise them that they were doing something dangerous, and explain why. I would hope I would do it tactfully but sometimes the medium of the forum does not communicate the intended message very well, and sometimes I get lazy with my writing.

As it happens, I know a good amount about how internet and phone scams work, and I feel a similar duty to let the uninitiated know when they are exposing themselves to possible fraud or at the least, a flood of scam emails from Nigeria. The problem is I don’t know the posters here; I have not met a one of you in person. For all I know you are a cyber-crimes investigator with the FBI, but the odds are, if you are posting too much personal information in public, that you do not know the risks.

If I were to say, “you should not post your phone number in public…” then that is a suggestion, not a command. If I know that you know the risks and choose to take them, then I would not argue with you. I might not remember a prior conversation however, so if I tactfully suggest that you do not post personal information, even if I do it more than once, please don’t be offended. I am doing it for your safety.

When reading a post that I find a little ill-mannered, I try to consider that poster is trying to be helpful and that any hint of a personal attack is a result of the limitations of the communications medium. I find these forums work best for me when my skin is on the thicker side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn w Autistic kid View Post
... And please dont tell us not to post our contact info. We are grown ups and we can decide if we want our email public or not. I, for one, advertise my email address everywhere on purpose. As my Grampa used to say "If you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all." Thank you, admins for keeping this site nice.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
...always surprised at how accessible the moderators are here...

And helpful, friendly, encouraging, and tactful!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Response in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I (like most members) participate here to both teach and learn… to share knowledge. If I knew someone was doing something dangerous with their trailer, then (with the best intentions) I would try to advise them that they were doing something dangerous, and explain why. I would hope I would do it tactfully but sometimes the medium of the forum does not communicate the intended message very well, and sometimes I get lazy with my writing.

Your thoughts and concerns, as are anyone else's, are valid and should be expressed. If folks express their concern, then move on, that is fine. Allow the OP the chance to determine what it best for them given all the information provided. It is when it turns into a heated debate, especially on subjects repeated often, does it turn the thread sour, and makes others hesitant to comment.

As it happens, I know a good amount about how internet and phone scams work, and I feel a similar duty to let the uninitiated know when they are exposing themselves to possible fraud or at the least, a flood of scam emails from Nigeria. The problem is I don’t know the posters here; I have not met a one of you in person. For all I know you are a cyber-crimes investigator with the FBI, but the odds are, if you are posting too much personal information in public, that you do not know the risks.

If I were to say, “you should not post your phone number in public…” then that is a suggestion, not a command. If I know that you know the risks and choose to take them, then I would not argue with you. I might not remember a prior conversation however, so if I tactfully suggest that you do not post personal information, even if I do it more than once, please don’t be offended. I am doing it for your safety.

The Site Team also recommends that all phone numbers and email addresses be sent in private, and not put on a thread. If others do not heed our well intended advise, then that is their doing.

When reading a post that I find a little ill-mannered, I try to consider that poster is trying to be helpful and that any hint of a personal attack is a result of the limitations of the communications medium. I find these forums work best for me when my skin is on the thicker side.

It is often tough to judge the intentions behind comments due to the facelessness of the internet. What you describe here is good advise for all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #26

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
100% Jim! It's about having fun, joining in and, most importantly, feeling welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #27
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
A reminder about personal contact info

It's never necessary to post your email address, which could leave it vulnerable to search engines and possibly spammers.

Contacting another member, if you're logged in, is easy. From the Forums 101 thread:

Quote:
If you click on a member's name next to a post and select “View Public Profile” it will take you to the member's profile page. Click on the “Contact Info” tab and you have several options depending on what types of messages the member has chosen to accept.
If you wish to receive email from other members, be sure to have that option set in your User CP (control panel).
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Somehow I found this site the first thing I noticed no flaming I just saw one I am sure he will be dealt with after all if you cant post with the worry of being flamed you wont post thus no help to the rest of us. His post was way off base by the way!

I am 76 years old I have done a lot of things in my life some big failures! I have owned rigs from a 40f Eagle bus down to an A-Liner by studying and listening I have learned a lot. We have tented all 50 states and 4 tenting trips to Europe I like sharing and to have fun! I like experimenting!

My style of camping is different from some, I don't like a motel on wheels concept of camping if you do go for it! But with your style of camping don't get angry because some of us differ. I certainly wont look down on your way of doing things after all I may learn something from you.

I just cant really figure out what is different here but I sincerely like it so adms. keep it up. I like the fact I see no queens or kings her it suits me fine!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Somehow I found this site the first thing I noticed no flaming I just saw one I am sure he will be dealt with after all if you cant post with the worry of being flamed you wont post thus no help to the rest of us. His post was way off base by the way!
As a reminder, do report any such instances right away. That way the moderation team can nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
re: Making FGRV a great place for everyone

Thanks to the moderators for compiling this post.

I joined a bicycle forum a while back and was surprised to see the nature of some of the posts which were not moderated. Consequently, I don't go there. I guess you could say it's not such a great place for everyone. At least it wasn't for me.

Hopefully I will meet my own expectations here.
Attached Thumbnails
Change 01.jpg   Change 02.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #31

Missouri
comments

yep!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #32

Missouri
comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
re: Making FGRV a great place for everyone

Thanks to the moderators for compiling this post.

I joined a bicycle forum a while back and was surprised to see the nature of some of the posts which were not moderated. Consequently, I don't go there. I guess you could say it's not such a great place for everyone. At least it wasn't for me.

Hopefully I will meet my own expectations here.
yep boards can be very weird!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #33

Missouri
thinking

well I post a lot I am sorry! I have been on the receiving end of some well mean commets. does it hurt? yes it does! but some folks seem to have a facebook mentality it doesn't fit in here or anywhere else for that matter! really no reason for personal attacks is there?

in my posts somethings I really don't know I am honestly seeking. is that fair and honest I think it is! some I do but all is posted in honesty. are some of my ideas off the wall? maybe but respect is the key word here. thinking about it some people have benefited because I get p/ms!

I don't run a 50k rig I run a 5k rig am I better or worse for that? no I am not! I still with the 5k rig am still making improvements making changes maybe some of my tribulations will help someone else.

with my amount of posts I will never approach the 30k that some have I will be long gone before that happens!

I do appreciate what some of the moderators have done in the past for me! this is such a great board I invite folks all the time to get in here join up and have fun some due to me have listed their rigs for sale giving members here a shot at some great trailers! I will never attack anyone and you will never hear foul language out of me isn't this what we all want?

life is so good on fiberglass rv and I intend to be here a long time personly i love each member here!!

thanks

bob
Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #34

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
well I post a lot I am sorry! I have been on the receiving end of some well mean commets. does it hurt? yes it does! but some folks seem to have a facebook mentality it doesn't fit in here or anywhere else for that matter! really no reason for personal attacks is there?

in my posts somethings I really don't know I am honestly seeking. is that fair and honest I think it is! some I do but all is posted in honesty. are some of my ideas off the wall? maybe but respect is the key word here. thinking about it some people have benefited because I get p/ms!

I don't run a 50k rig I run a 5k rig am I better or worse for that? no I am not! I still with the 5k rig am still making improvements making changes maybe some of my tribulations will help someone else.

with my amount of posts I will never approach the 30k that some have I will be long gone before that happens!

I do appreciate what some of the moderators have done in the past for me! this is such a great board I invite folks all the time to get in here join up and have fun some due to me have listed their rigs for sale giving members here a shot at some great trailers! I will never attack anyone and you will never hear foul language out of me isn't this what we all want?

life is so good on fiberglass rv and I intend to be here a long time personly i love each member here!!

thanks

bob
[emoji173] Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20171019-WA0034.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	117804Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10154823386121360.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	117805
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #35

Ontario
I haven't had the time to check the posts . I sure hope that no-one is being rude.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #36

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
I haven't had the time to check the posts . I sure hope that no-one is being rude.
I am not sure how my pics downloaded twice![emoji849]